Co to feed a "Mal" -v GSD? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-30-2017, 07:26 PM Thread Starter

Co$t to feed a "Mal" -v GSD?

Excuse me if I'm posting this in the wrong section, since it's kinda-sorta related to diet.

For those of you that own a Malinois, would you say it costs less, pretty much the same, or maybe more than what it costs to feed the average GSD? As a general rule (I'm painting with a broad brush here, I know), it's it safe to say that the "average Mal" is probably more active than the average GSD? In that case, it seems likely to me that the Mal would burn more daily calories and likely require the same, or maybe more food, than the GSD. But, since the Mal weighs less maybe he eats less as well?

What's been your real-world experience? How does your food bill for your Mal compare with your GSD?

Thank you,
Craig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-30-2017, 11:58 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Caughlin View Post
Excuse me if I'm posting this in the wrong section, since it's kinda-sorta related to diet.

For those of you that own a Malinois, would you say it costs less, pretty much the same, or maybe more than what it costs to feed the average GSD? As a general rule (I'm painting with a broad brush here, I know), it's it safe to say that the "average Mal" is probably more active than the average GSD? In that case, it seems likely to me that the Mal would burn more daily calories and likely require the same, or maybe more food, than the GSD. But, since the Mal weighs less maybe he eats less as well?

What's been your real-world experience? How does your food bill for your Mal compare with your GSD?

Thank you,
Craig
Hope you don't mind me answering even tho I don't have hands on experience. But with dogs so close in weight the difference in kibble cost would be negligible for most people. You're running through a bag within a couple of days of each other by that point.

As far as calories and activity it depends on the individual dog and his individual circumstances. A dog that's tending a flock of sheep all day long that weighs 65 lbs may require more calories than a dog who weighs 80 lbs but only plays fetch or tug here and there throughout the day but even then it wouldn't be such a big difference that you'd have to buy 2 bags for the mal vs 1 for the gsd.

The biggest difference I ever had was a 45 lb catch dog who would eat 3-3.5 cups a day vs an 80 lb strike dog who would eat about 5 cups a day. The catch dog was way less active too. On a hunt he'd ride in the box while the strike dog may go out 10-12 miles over the course of the night. So that's a dog who's way more active and almost twice as big who's eating only 1.5 cups a day more.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-01-2017, 12:36 AM
Knighted Member

When we got Newlie, he was a lanky youngster, somewhere between one and two years old. He had been found as a stray and was slightly underweight at 70 pounds. He came to us eating 7 cups of dog food a day, (Yes, seven) but he was so full of energy that he only gradually filled out and gained weight. The most he ever weighed while I had him was 85 pounds, but for the last two to three years, he stayed at between 78-80 which I think was ideal for him. Up until he recently got sick, he was eating 5 cups a day and his weight stayed pretty stable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-01-2017, 02:18 AM

My Mal X Dutch Shepherd eats more than my GSD. I feed the Mal X 3 1/2 lbs of raw meat a day. My male GSD eats 3 lbs and my female GSD eats 21/2 lbs. The Malinois / Dutch Shepherd is 74 lbs and lean, the GSD is almost 12 years old and weighs maybe 75 lbs, the female GSD weighs about 65 lbs.

“Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance”. George Bernard Shaw

Jim
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-01-2017, 06:56 PM
Elite Member

Both My Mal And Shepherd eat 3 Cups a day. This is fed at 4 Intervals, one cup in the AM, One cup when i return from work,1/2 cup at 8pm and 1/2 at 9pm. I do this because both of them especially the Mal Puke Bile every now and then and Interval feeding helps considerably.The Mal gets Purina Sport 30/20 salmon and Rice. The Shepherd eats Pet Supplies Plus House Brand Redford Naturals Salmon and sweet Potato.Only add ons to their food is Canned Salmon or mackerel and Skinless Boneless Sardines in Olive oil. The feeding is Fairly Comparable other than the Purina comes in a Larger quantity.

RAMSEY 10/07

Mark.o
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-01-2017, 07:46 PM
Elite Member

It's going to be a negligible difference in cost. You'll see greater differences with intact vs. spayed or level of daily activity. My 93 lb malinois eats 6 cups/day, my 80 lb husky eats 3 cups/day. One is more active, and younger. But both go with me on daily long runs. So there can be big differences, but they're not always due to breed alone.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-01-2017, 09:38 PM
Elite Member

Inga eats 6 cups a day of kibble with some hot water on it in a divided feeding of three cups per meal. She runs probably 3 miles a day and weighs 70 lbs at 20 months of age. She is not spayed. I would not say she is hyper as a Mal. I feed her Purina One Large Breed. She looks great, active, lively, shiney coat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page