Recommendations for Preventative Joint Care - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-28-2017, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Recommendations for Preventative Joint Care

I'm trying to find some quality joint care preventatives. My girl is 7 and a half months old now and is 26" and 70lbs lean (last two ribs are visible), and I imagine she still has a decent amount of growing/filling out to do - she still looks very much like a puppy. Because of her size, I really want to stay on top of my game and make sure she has the right supplements for keeping her joints healthy. She currently eats Acana LB Adult, and we supplement with raw 2-3x a week using herring, chicken backs, turkey necks, chicken/beef liver, chicken feet, and any other novelty I can find.

Any suggestions? I'm all for anything natural or human grade quality supplements. Ideally can be purchased from a health food store, "Ma & Pa" style pet stores, or Canadian Amazon.

The world would be a nicer place if everyone had the ability to love as unconditionally as a dog.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kona
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2017/03/19

"Ryka" Joule von Wendelin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-28-2017, 02:58 PM
Crowned Member

No jumping after frisbees, no flirt pole, no high speed sprints after a chuck it, etc. Be very careful with agility exercises and avoid the jumps and A frame. Just regular good moderate exercise, off leash hikes and avoid sharp turns. I support Deja, as a 4 year old even, when she jumps out of an SUV. And for the rest....common sense.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-28-2017, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
No jumping after frisbees, no flirt pole, no high speed sprints after a chuck it, etc. Be very careful with agility exercises and avoid the jumps and A frame. Just regular good moderate exercise, off leash hikes and avoid sharp turns. I support Deja, as a 4 year old even, when she jumps out of an SUV. And for the rest....common sense.
Yes, we're definitely very cautious about any of that. If I throw the ball, I always try to throw it high so she doesn't stop suddenly. Rather she slows down and waits for it to drop. No frisbee for us either, personally not a fan. We will however be doing Schutzhund, so the A frame is unavoidable. Trying to get her to stop jumping off things has been a struggle though... puppy exuberance tends to be faster than my ability to stop her from jumping off the bed or couch.

I'm also looking for supplements to consider to keep her joints healthy and be proactive in their care. Do you happen to have any you would recommend?

The world would be a nicer place if everyone had the ability to love as unconditionally as a dog.

Kona
2017/03/19

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-28-2017, 03:50 PM
Crowned Member

I don't do supplements. If you feed a good diet, she should be fine. I am always worried that supplements will screw up a good diet and thus possibly affect growth. What does your breeder recommend?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-28-2017, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

I sent an e-mail earlier today, just waiting for her to respond. She'll get back to me either today or the next few. Just thought it'd be great to ask here as there's lots of great resources.

Kona
2017/03/19

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-30-2017, 10:08 AM
Crowned Member

"Raw chicken feet are one of best and most rich source of glucosamine/chondroitin. 2 feet 3 times a week contains more glucosamine/chondroitin than 15 supplement pills, and it's 100% bioavailable"

To purchase:

Black Wing: https://www.blackwing.com/product_view.php?id=283 (these are organic/human grade),

RawPaws: https://www.rawpawspetfood.com/chick...ats-p/rpcp.htm ,

Reel Raw: https://reelraw.com/products/chicken-feet-20-bag

"Omega-3s are known to support heart health and joints, improve kidneys and boost the immune system."
I think the following product is fantastic and have used it for some time now.
One Stop Shop = All 3 oils in one product!
SH-EMP OIL is made from:
Canadian Herring - very highest quality raw , unrefined from the deep cold waters of the Grand Banks. The fish is full body pressed – no heat , no chemicals – just the pressure of the press. The herring oil is a source of brain enhancing DHA/EPA, which can be converted by the body into Omega 3. Contains a higher % of EPA/DHA than Salmon Oil.
Organic Canadian Hemp Oil: cold pressed, contains omega 6 , 3 , 9, gla composition. It is full of antioxidant chlorophyll and naturally-occurring 8 compound Vitamin E . Does not contain THC
Coconut Oil: cold pressed, virgin, organic.. Contains medium chain triglycerides rich/high with lauric acid. Coconut oil has many functions including feeding brain, and glands such as thyroid and adrenals, providing energy to muscles. It is also antimicrobial and anti fungal -
https://feedsentials.com/ Use email to order

Moms
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page