Rachael Ray dog food - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Magwart

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-18-2017, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

Rachael Ray dog food

Has anyone tried Rachael Rays Nutrish dry dog foods? Seems to get good reviews, would just like to hear opinions from other GSD owners as to what they thought, and how their dogs did on this food. Considering the salmon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-18-2017, 07:29 PM
Master Member

Look like an ok food. The fact that Salmon is listed 1st is a bit misleading since once the water is removed, which makes up about 80% of the weight, it will drop down on the ingredient list. That means that chicken meal is the true 1st ingredient, so it's really a chicken based food not salmon as consumers are led to believe. If you are shopping for a food find one that has a names meat meal listed first, that means the water has been removed so it really is the 1st ingredient by weight.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-18-2017, 08:08 PM
Crowned Member

Meh. Corn, corn gluten, and soybean meal -- filler, filler, and more filler.
https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-f...rish-dog-food/

For what it costs (almost $40 for a 40# bag), I think you can get more bang for your buck with another brand. I'd rather have zero dollars of the cost of the bag go toward a celebrity endorsement so that more can be spent on whatever's inside the bag!

Costco's Kirkland is $27 for 40# and is a better mid-grade food (it's nearly identical to Diamond Naturals Chicken & Rice, sold at Petco/Petsmart, or Tractor Supply's 4Health -- these are interchangeable foods, AFAIC):
https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-f...rish-dog-food/

If $40 is your budget target, you could step up to Victor instead. Victor's entry-level foods are right in that same price point, so you would have some choices like these:
https://www.chewy.com/victor-profess...dog-/dp/120686
https://www.chewy.com/victor-high-en...dog-/dp/120682

Fromm Classic is also in that price point (for a 33# bag):
https://www.petflow.com/product/from...a-dry-dog-food

Victor and Fromm aren't heavily advertised, and you won't find them at WM, but you will find them at mom-and-pop independent retailers. They've had no major recalls (unlike Diamond...), they're responsive to customer questions and concerns, and they make their own food (own their own facilities). I would trust their entry-level lines at $40 over just about anything sold at WM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-23-2017, 12:03 AM

When a dog food has such a terrible ingredient list, you have to realize the company is in it for a BIG profit and NOT the health of peoples dogs. A big concern is who are they sourcing their ingredients from, most likely the cheapest vender, who has the lowest quality ingredients. Many times these venders cheat on the quality and add crap to their product. Careful trying to save some money on cheap dog food and this is cheap level dog food.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-23-2017, 07:32 PM
Crowned Member

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-23-2017, 09:48 PM
Crowned Member

I like Rachel Ray as a personality and as a celebrity chef .
I like Ellen Degeneres as a oersonality and entertainer.
They are passionate and compassionate about dogs .

Each one has a pet food line to which they lend their celebrity names, Nutrish and Halo.

In my opinion each one is a pretty crappy food.

They had a hand in the design of the formula? I doubt it . Yet the products sell because
of their involvement .

Choose a better food .

Consider all the options including a raw diet .

Carmen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page