Is cat food harmful to my dogs? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-21-2017, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

Is cat food harmful to my dogs?

So obviously I don't feed my dogs cat food on purpose but I'm wondering if cat food is harmful to dogs. Just got home from work and as usual I fed all three dogs. Not even ten minutes later my two year old female knocked the cat food bowl over and ate about half of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-21-2017, 10:07 PM

It could cause a loosening of stool or upset stomach, but if its just a one time/rarely occurring thing, I've never seen ill effects in any of my previous dogs. (They've all gotten a hold of some cat food one time or another). Granted this is just my personal experience, I suppose if your dog has allergies they could flair up. Overall, I would assume no harm done though.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-22-2017, 08:16 AM

sorry in advance, the cartoonist in me is kicking in.

Is it dangerous for a dog to eat the cat's food? Yes, if the cat is vengeful.Dog: cool, a bowl of treats! Cat: I was saving that for later you slobbering dog! I'll make you pay...just watch yourself.
Jax08 and Aly like this.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-22-2017, 10:12 AM Thread Starter

[QUOTE=car2ner;8685314]sorry in advance, the cartoonist in me is kicking in.

Is it dangerous for a dog to eat the cat's food? Yes, if the cat is vengeful.Dog: cool, a bowl of treats! Cat: I was saving that for later you slobbering dog! I'll make you pay...just watch yourself.[/QUOTE
That is hilarious thank you for the laugh this morning
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-22-2017, 10:22 AM
Aly
Master Member

@car2ner, thanks for the morning belly laugh.

OP, I'd say that eating kitty litter is way more harmful to dogs than the cat's food is. BTW, I've used canned cat food (the smellier the better) to tempt appetite in sick dogs. (Not as a replacement for appropriate dog food, just to get the juices going). Something about the "forbidden" quality of cat food always seems to perk the dogs up and get them eating.

Aly
car2ner likes this.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-22-2017, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aly View Post
@car2ner, thanks for the morning belly laugh.

OP, I'd say that eating kitty litter is way more harmful to dogs than the cat's food is. BTW, I've used canned cat food (the smellier the better) to tempt appetite in sick dogs. (Not as a replacement for appropriate dog food, just to get the juices going). Something about the "forbidden" quality of cat food always seems to perk the dogs up and get them eating.

Aly
My dogs have always smelled the cats food but never eaten it that I have seen. I will keep that in mind if my dog ever gets sick.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-22-2017, 11:28 AM
Knighted Member

My older dog LOVES cat food. In my previous house, I'd sometimes accidentally leave the door to the closet where I stored the dog and cat food open, and she would gorge herself! The only problem it would cause was sometimes she'd get a bit of an upset stomach due to stuffing herself, but she never vomited or had diarrhea, just gas.

Oh, and it also put a dent in my pet food budget, as I was having to buy cat food much more often than usual!

Cat food is much higher in protein than dog food, so it's actually a good source of nutrients for dogs. The reverse isn't true, though, as cats need more protein/higher quality protein.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-22-2017, 02:05 PM

Cats also need Taurine, I think in larger proportion than dogs. I have used the tiny cans of cat food as a high value reward for finding the final article when tracking. I stopped because my she-dog looked at the moist mess and then looked at me as if to say, "you expect me to eat THAT?"

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-22-2017, 03:10 PM
Knighted Member

LOL! That's usually the cat's way of looking at the food!

One night, I was completely out of cat food. Now, if I drop a nugget of dog kibble on the floor when dishing out the food, the cat runs to grab it as fast as he can. So, this particular night, I filled his bowl with dog kibble.

He looked at me as if to say, "Are you trying to POISON me??"
car2ner likes this.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-22-2017, 07:24 PM
Crowned Member

Just curious. I know in nature that cats and dogs would eat different types of prey, but not necessarily so. Is there really that big of a difference in protein content of say a mouse vs a rabbit?

If you need equipment to maintain control of your dog, understand you’re hanging on to your dog’s body because you’ve lost his mind!

Suzanne Clothier
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page