Need information on nutrition for pup and older GSD - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-17-2017, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

Need information on nutrition for pup and older GSD

A little background: We have a older GSD who was a rescue at about 6yrs and weighed 28 lbs at the time my husband ( he was a humane officer at the time and she is his) rescued her. She is now 85 lbs, we have a 2 yr old Shelty/Husky mix(my daughters) and I will be getting a German Shepherd pup in a month. My previous GSD passed away at 15-16 years in 2015, she was a rescue also from the humane society.

I recently found this board and have been looking for a different food for the four legged members of the family.

I am concidering the Canidae brand at the moment. Currently had been feeding Purina One Lamb And Rice. I had fed Hills Science Diet in the past but Kesha (current GSD rescue) did not tolerate it. Now things are starting to click. Being one who cooks mainly from scratch it makes me cringe to realize what the food the pups have been eating have in it.

So here are my questions:
1. What is the amount of calcium that is best for a GSD puppy?
2. What other nutritional items should I be looking for in a food for the puppy?

I would like to be able to switch them to a natural diet, but at the moment there are some health issues with my husband that may keep me from that for a bit.
Also, I am in Pennsylvania.

Thanks for any help.

She'll
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-17-2017, 04:56 PM
Master Member

The calcium to phosphorus ratio is what is important in terms of calcium. These ratios help with preventing rapid growth if they're balanced. This article here helps explain: Feeding Large Breed Puppies - IVC Journal.

In essence, it should be approximately 1:1 or 1.3:1 of calcium : phosphorus. Ideally, you should be looking at the quality of the ingredients and determining if your budget allows for a meat based protein kibble or a plant based one. Generally speaking, plant based protein is cheaper, but I personally prefer food brands that are meat based and use locally sourced proteins. I currently feed Acana as it is a meat based protein with its protein sources coming from fisheries or farms here in Canada. Champion Pet Foods (the maker of the food) has yet to have a recall that I know of. A good website for grasping food and for breaking up information for you is dogfoodadvisor.com. It discusses which ingredients are good or bad and why, and breaks of the protein, carbohydrate, and fat ratios as well.

The world would be a nicer place if everyone had the ability to love as unconditionally as a dog.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kona
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2017/03/19

"Ryka" Joule von Wendelin
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-17-2017, 05:40 PM
Crowned Member

I feed Fromm gold-large breed puppy. I did find it hard to find large breed puppy foods so when I found Fromm a family owned company I was very happy. Luna is getting picky so we do have to add some fresh food she does like the grain free better not yet ready to make the switch.she has beautiful coat, healthy , active, no allergies, firm stool and good weight. Max is not that picky he is almost three and he loves the food on the four star grain fee food, healthy active, shiny coat no allergies, firm stool and good weight. I like the dog food advisor femfa mentioned. The link below also has a list of recommended dog foods - not sure if all have a large breed puppy that has the ratios needed I know orijen is a bit high for large breed puppies and not sure earth born has a large breed puppy formula.
https://iheartdogs.com/company-resea...-satisfactory/

Last edited by Jenny720; 09-17-2017 at 05:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-17-2017, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

Thank you so much! Now it makes sense. Time to do more research I can tell.
Just want to make sure that my fur children get the best nutrition I can provide.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page