Should I stay with raw or go back to kibble - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-25-2017, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

Question Should I stay with raw or go back to kibble

Titan eats a raw diet using The Honest Kitchen Preference Base mix. He is doing good on it and nothing bad is happening. I was just wondering if I should continue the raw diet or go back to kibble

No Pain, No Gain
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-25-2017, 07:42 PM
Crowned Member

Kibble is cooked at high temperatures and extruded

Honest Kitchen has fresh or minimally processed veg & fruits that have been dehydrated & Raw Meat is....... raw!

If your dog is doing well, I would stick with the partial raw diet that he's on now!

Moms

Last edited by Momto2GSDs; 08-25-2017 at 07:44 PM.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-25-2017, 08:16 PM

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-25-2017, 08:25 PM
Crowned Member

It's expensive, but it's good food. Why would you want to go back to kibble? Convenience? Price? Rotation?

If it's rotation, you can rotate base mixes (between THK's two kinds, or even other companies like Sojo's, Dr. Harvey's Veg-to-Bowl, etc.) and proteins.

If it's cost, Sojo's base-mix with grain is a lot cheaper (and comes in giant-size bags), but you will be getting a lot of grain as filler, so it's a step down in quality in my opinion. Or stay with THK and order it through onlynaturalpet.com when they have good coupon codes, and stock up. I buy about 2-3 mo. worth at a time when they send me a good code, which often gets it down to about $45/box instead of $57.

If it's convenience, you can make busy work/school mornings easier by preparing about 2-3 days worth of base mix at a time in a giant mixing bowl with a lid, and storing it in the fridge. Then you scoop it out at feeding time without having to wait for it to reconstitute. I keep a separate bowl of meat, so I can pull out my two bowls and scoop at meal time. It's much faster than adding water and waiting for it to reconstitute!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-25-2017, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

Ok thank you all, I'm going to stay with the raw diet. Also which proteins do you guys use?

No Pain, No Gain
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-25-2017, 10:09 PM
M&J
Knighted Member

Send a message via AIM to M&J
I make my own base with vegetables that can be grown in the garden.

For protein I use grass fed: kidney, heart, and liver. I also use frozen whole sardines, chicken necks & feet, and turkey necks. I throw in yogurt and goat's mik, as well.

I give the occasional pork rib as a snack.

I don't get more adventurous than that.

Mary
I got a dog for my husband. It was a good trade.

Athena and Zeus
LILLY and RUDY
In Memory of MADISON, The King 12/89-6/04
In Memory of JAKE, The Perfect Dog 9/01-11/02
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-26-2017, 01:03 AM

We try to rotate proteins and cuts as much as possible. Usually it's chicken, pork, beef, turkey, duck, lamb, venison, and some fish. We try to find different organ meats too but it can be difficult sometimes. Most of the time we feed liver and kidney for organs, but sometimes pancreas and pig brains when we can find it.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-26-2017, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&J View Post
I make my own base with vegetables that can be grown in the garden.

For protein I use grass fed: kidney, heart, and liver. I also use frozen whole sardines, chicken necks & feet, and turkey necks. I throw in yogurt and goat's mik, as well.

I give the occasional pork rib as a snack.

I don't get more adventurous than that.
How do you make your own base mix and how do you know he is getting all of his vitamins and minerals?

No Pain, No Gain
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-22-2017, 05:47 PM
M&J
Knighted Member

Send a message via AIM to M&J
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan_ View Post
How do you make your own base mix and how do you know he is getting all of his vitamins and minerals?
I paid someone to make a recipe for me. Sabine at Better Dog Care ? Creating Healthy Lifestyles for Canines.

She will make a recipe based on your preferences i.e. all raw, raw/home cooked, will take your budget into consideration, as well as convenience of preparation. My current dogs are on all raw with some vegetables. She made a recipe a few years ago for my Rudy, who was sick. That was cooked food and based on his illness.

She also included a list of supplements. My preference was for as few supplements as possible, I'd rather they get them through their food. So their list is pretty minimal.

Mary
I got a dog for my husband. It was a good trade.

Athena and Zeus
LILLY and RUDY
In Memory of MADISON, The King 12/89-6/04
In Memory of JAKE, The Perfect Dog 9/01-11/02
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-22-2017, 05:53 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan_ View Post
There are also companies that sell the vitamin and mineral mixes alone. Balance IT and Oasis Canine.

I use Oasis Canine, Costs about a quarter a day for my male and completely balances an all meat diet (I also add supplemental fruits and veggies for fiber and antioxidants)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page