Diarreha - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Magwart

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 08:47 AM Thread Starter

Diarreha

Trying to decide the cause. Adopted Major (8 years old in November) on the 7th. Had not been to vet in 3 years prior (ugh). Got all his shots. Scheduled neutering postponed to first deal with heartworm (not surprised do to lack of care from previous owner). Anyway, we probably should have waited to change food, but his stool was yellow and soft. On a Thursday switched to TOTW due to good reviews and supported by vet. Same day got his shots. Same day started Steadfast glucosamine. Sat morn 2am diarreha started. So... Shots? Glucosamine? Switch to TOTW? Too many changes at once? Just read on Consumer Reports some recent issues with TOTW. Saturday stopped the glucosamine and TOTW. Fed him raw chicken and white rice last three meals. He has yet to poop again. Vet in 3 days to start heartworm so will get his take, but curious about your thoughts or experiences. Gave him TOTW again this morn, but small amount w rice. See what happens. Thanks!! He is a great dog and seems happy as a clam in his new home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 11:49 AM
Crowned Member

Thanks for bringing home a senior dog and treating his heartworms!

Here's a long post I wrote about what to expect during HW treatment:
https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...ml#post8596706

It wasn't clear from your post how long you've had this dog.

Are you waiting 3 mo. from starting prevention before doing HW treatment per the American HW Society guidelines? You can read the guidelines on their website -- it's very important to be sure you don't "miss" the juveniles that are too young to die from immiticide, but too old to die from prevention (the 3 mo. lets them "grow up" to the age when immiticide will get them, while the prevention keeps new babies from developing, so that all the worms are the age that immiticide targets, when you do treatment).

Also, it sounds like you just did the shots too. It takes several weeks to mount a full immune response after vaccinating. I would not do HW treatment during this window, as the immune system is "busy." The HW treatment is so hard on the dog that I would worry about it interfering with the immune response needed for the vaccine to work.

As for food...TOTW is a Diamond food, so it comes with all that baggage. Diamond foods works for a lot of dogs, but you must keep lot codes on the bags and sign up for recall emails, given their history. If you want to feed it despite that history, Nature's Domain at Costco is pretty close and also a Diamond food, so you'd save some money. If the recalls with Diamond have you nervous, and you want to feed kibble, then you should look at brands like Fromm Four Star, Victor, and Champion (Acana/Orijen) -- independent companies that own their own plants, with a long-history of quality control and no major recalls. You'll likely have to go to a mom-and-pop dog supply store to find them. Victor sometimes can be found at feed stores, but mostly these brands support small, specialty businesses as their exclusive retail outlets -- and that is a good thing, as if your dog doesn't like it, those kind of stores generally take the food back and exchange it for something else to help you find what you want.

If you want to feed raw, I'd wait til he's through the HW treatment. His immune system is about to get walloped, and I worry about pathogens in immune-compromised dogs.

I'd really prefer getting his tummy sorted out before the HW treatment too. I would stabilize him on a food that works for a few weeks. Boost him with good probiotics (and ideally bovine colostrum). He should have been on 30 days of Doxycycline before treatment per the AHWS protocol, so THAT could be what's trashing his tummy.

I want my HW dogs as strong as they can be before treatment. It's always a hard call as to whether to do immiticide on senior dogs (they are sometimes candidates for a different treatment), but that's something you and your vet have to decide, based on the clinical signs of illness.
TAPAL2017 likes this.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Mag. Adopted 8/7, vet and shots 8/11. They planned on starting HW treatment on 8/16, but said we had option of going route you mention. Will prob call back and ask for that route. Agency who did adoption will assist with cost.

He is not on Doxy, so gotta be food, shots or the glucocemine tab causing diarreha. He checked fine otherwise at vet. Per vet heart sounded good, no coughing, urine is yellow, took a nearly 2 mile walk in mornings and he did well. Stopped the longer walk after hearing about HW. Still short walks to potty.

Again, cooked chicken and rice for 3 of last 4 meals stopped diarreha, but he has not pooped for nearly 48 hours now. Still drinking water and peeing and has a pep in his step.

See what vet says here in a bit. Thanks for the input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 07:22 PM
Crowned Member

I would have a copy of the AHWS protocol in front of you when you talk for the vet. I've never done treatment without doxy -- I've always been told that it's critical to kill the wolbachia bacteria. Here are the veterinary guidelines -- around p. 16 they discuss Doxy:
https://www.heartwormsociety.org/ima...Guidelines.pdf
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 01:18 AM Thread Starter

I feel its gotta be the Taste of the Wild Sierra Mountain with lamb that gave him diarreha. Started him on it Thursday evening 10th. Saturday morn 12th diarreha. Put him on chicken and white rice. No pooping till early evening the 14th and somewhat solid with yellowish brown color. This morning, Monday 14th gave him part TOTW with white rice. 13 hours later diarreha again darker brown in color. I believe it has to be the dark colored TOTW with lamb food. Perhaps the Consumer Reports complaints are accurate?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 01:36 AM
Crowned Member

Take a look at the visitor posts on their FB page the last few weeks:
https://www.facebook.com/tasteofthewildpetfood/

...and their response:
https://www.facebook.com/tasteofthew...c_location=ufi

There sure does seem to be a lot of "smoke." Sometimes it takes a while to find a slow-burning fire. I'd be tempted to send a sample of that food through my vet to a lab for independent testing -- it costs about $100 to do that.

Last edited by Magwart; 08-15-2017 at 01:41 AM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 08:17 AM Thread Starter

To be fair, I cannot say there is anything wrong with TOTW. Perhaps it simply does not agree with my dog, or at least that specific type of TOTW.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

Went to local Big R store where Fromms is sold. Lady seemed pretty knowledgeable. Suggested it is not a TOTW issue it was that the lamb is too greasy and likely didnt agree w him. Said Ftommsvis great, but directed me to Diamonds chicken and rice for senior dogs. I questioned Diamond. She suggested it was mainly the SC plant, but the MO plant has had no big issues. Said a few K9 officers in the area use this food and have had good results. Works for me. Rush to judgement on TOTW. My bad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page