Dry dog food storage and keep time - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 08:25 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Dry dog food storage and keep time

My pup eats dry dog food. I wondered if anyone knew how long it can be kept after open and the best way to store it? I pour it into one of those dog food containers and keep it for about 1.5 to 2 months. I am thinking that may be too long but also wondering if my storage method is the best?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 08:33 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

I keep mine in the original bag and put the bag into the storage container-with 2 dogs I go through in about 3-4 weeks

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 08:36 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Thanks Nancy. I think I am going to start buying a smaller bag. Why do you keep it in the original bag?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 09:00 AM

All dog food containers aren't created equal. If it is airtight the food can last much longer than 2 months and you're fine

That said, I doubt I'd go over 3. We have a "food kitchen" at work with maybe 20 different bins of various kibble... they are dumped and cleaned every couple of months.

ETA: I store in the original bag as a liner so the bin doesn't get crummy and oily.

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 60lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 60lbs of Go!!!!!

Last edited by Fodder; 08-13-2017 at 09:07 AM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 09:22 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Well I know the liner in the bag is polyethylene designed for food contact not so sure of the bins and don't want the fats in the foods interacting with the plasticizers in the container.

And, yes, the container stays clean and it is easy to pull out the bag and pour the last of it on top of the new bag

Nancy

-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 01:05 PM
Crowned Member

First, it's very important to keep the lot code from every bag until the bag is totally gone. Without it, you are up the creek without a paddle in the event of a recall, or worse, in the event you need to seek compensation for vet care due to contamination. We're long past living in a happy world where "good" brands didn't have awful recalls with dogs dying....very few brands have a clean history now, and a clean history is not a guarantee they'll stay free of problems in the future. Saving the lot code is just a rational reaction to where we are now with petfood manufacturing.

Second, most dog food manufacturers will tell you to keep the food in the bag if you ask them -- they claim it will stay fresh longer (keeping it sealed or storing the bag in an airtight container is even better).

Third, check with the manufacturer on optimal freshness after opening. I think the answer will depend on what preservative they use. It wouldn't surprise me if the old synthetic preservatives like BHA and BHT were "hardier" than rosemary/Vit E, but many of us don't buy foods that use them any more....so check to see what preservative your brand is using, and ask for what their freshness testing has found.

I've always read that 6-weeks was the window, but I've aimed for 4-weeks or less.
How to Keep Your Dog?s Food Fresh | petMD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page