Preferred Kibble - 5+ Years - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

Preferred Kibble - 5+ Years

As I am currently in the market for an elderly GSD, I'm trying to narrow down some good kibble for my future pup. For years and years my parents have used Eukanuba for their dogs and that's what I know. Thoughts on it or other brands?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 07:20 PM
Crowned Member

This older thread has some suggestions:

https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...-dog-food.html

I can recommend Solid Gold Barking At the Moon. It is an all life stages kibble. My Sting did very well on it from his adult through his senior years.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Royal K9s Baron Sting DB 7/9/2017

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sting Chance von Gaard 2006-2017
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-11-2017, 05:20 AM

I'm not familiar with the ingredients in the Eukanuba formula but I tend to distrust big brand names. They tend to include low quality ingredients (e.g. by-products) that I'd never willingly feed to my dog.

From the research I did a few years back, I reached the conclusion that Acana and Orijen (both from Champion Petfoods) were one of the best kibbles. For this reason I fed my previous dog Acana Pacifica first and then Acana Senior. Acana Senior, though, is recommended for dogs of 7+ years of age.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-11-2017, 07:51 AM

I feed Orijen Six Fish to my 3.5 yr old male and the 7 month pup gets N&D Pumpkin Formula rotating between lamb/chicken/codfish since orjien puppy large which she was having earlier was difficult for her to digest and she was losing weight.

Both are 5* rated foods and I would highly recommend either brands to anyone.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-11-2017, 11:47 AM
Crowned Member

I use First Mate currently the lamb formula. I feed two seniors and a pup
Made in their own plant which is important to me and their quality control is fantastic.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-11-2017, 02:26 PM
Master Member

Orijen and Acana are both excellent foods. Other excellent foods include Fromm, Dr. Tim's, Annamaet, and Victor. There are others, of course, but that's my personal short list of foods that I trust enough to consider for my dogs.

A good quality All Life Stages formula should be fine for dogs of all ages. I don't put much faith in formulas for certain ages...mostly marketing in my opinion, though with large breed puppies you still have to check calcium and phosphorus levels, of course.

Tom
Omen v Wolfstraum
Jasmine Katie v Doolanshaus

Last edited by Ken Clean-Air System; 08-11-2017 at 02:29 PM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-17-2017, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for the feedback. Are these available in big-box stores (petsmart/wal-mart) or are they more special order?

Also, what's the price point on these? Spending more money to provide a more enjoyable life for my future companion is no issue, especially in their retirement years, it's mainly out of curiosity.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-17-2017, 04:57 PM
Master Member

Most are pricier, and not available at the big chain stores, though Orijen and Acana are available at Pet Supplies Plus, at least in my area. You may also have luck finding some, or all of them in feed supply stores like Tractor Supply, or more local feed stores (in my area we have County Max which carries Orijen/Acana, Fromm and Victor).

You can also order online from websites like petflow.com and others.

Tom
Omen v Wolfstraum
Jasmine Katie v Doolanshaus
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-17-2017, 08:56 PM
Crowned Member

If cost isn't an issue, how about not feeding kibble at all? An alternative diet like frozen, commercial (balanced) raw (Primal, Bravo, Darwins, OC Raw, etc.), a base mix plus raw, a dehydrated "just add water" mix (The Honest Kitchen, Sojos, Dr. Haveys), an air-dried meat diet (Ziwipeak) all have lots of good stuff to recommend them. Kibble is a compromise for the sake of cost and convenience, but if you have the means to do better, take a look at the wonderful options out there beyond kibble.

If you have Netflix, you might consider streaming the documentary Pet Fooled. Even if find you don't agree with all that's in it (I don't), it's a good opportunity to do some hard thinking about options.

Last edited by Magwart; 08-17-2017 at 08:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page