looking for help/info - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

looking for help/info

Shadow is on First Mate kibble.
Allergic to beef and a few other things. Chronic itching and biting. And so stressed I have issues getting her to eat. The itching is new. The stress is not. I switched her from the chicken kibble to the lamb and it reduced the itching but did not stop it.
She will not touch fish or coconut oil.
She still eats raw chicken and does fine.
Her stool is good. Formed and solid.
She will vomit if I let her stomach get empty and gets fed twice a day to prevent it.
Need to stop the itching and would love info on supplements for joint support and stress relief.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 06:12 PM
Crowned Member

Is it fish she won't eat, or just fish oil? My dogs have always done best on the fish based kibble formulas. Have you tried a limited ingredient kibble - like Wellness Simple?

I'm sorry. That's really tough.

Jan
Shelby 9-2-14
Natty Boh 6-27-12
Annie 1998 - 8-2-12 RIP
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevenzachsmom View Post
Is it fish she won't eat, or just fish oil? My dogs have always done best on the fish based kibble formulas. Have you tried a limited ingredient kibble - like Wellness Simple?

I'm sorry. That's really tough.
Tried fish kibble, raw fish, cooked fish, shell fish, fish oil. She literally backs away shaking her head.
First Mate is grain free and more limited then most limited ingredient foods.
Wellness uses flax and she is definitely allergic to flax.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 08:20 PM
Administrator

Do eggs agree with her?

A friend has a dog with a monstrous list of food intolerances, and has specifically observed that that dog tolerates good quality eggs (from healthy birds fed a diverse diet) noticeably better than store-bought.... even "organic" store-bought.

Eggs are such a great source of nutrition. I think it's Magwart who has posted a number of links about the benefits of natural eggshell membrane. One of my dogs won't eat the shells when offered eggs raw, but if I hardboil a batch and then smash the egg up on the counter before offering it, she'll eat the entire thing.
Sabis mom likes this.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 10:01 PM
Elite Member

I noticed that the First Mate is 40% protein from mostly peas and lentils. Peas and lentils being legumes are highly inflammatory and may be contributing to Shadows tummy and itching issue. My dog is sensitive to peas and lentils and can't have them.

I found this food: Sport Dog Elite LID in beef we are trying. Got it Wednesday and so far she hasn't has eaten enough to say how it will work out but thought I'd share just the same.
They have a venison formula that might work for you and read their no return return policy.

https://www.sportdogfood.com/elite-g...on-meal-28-14/
voodoolamb likes this.

Ziva 03.07.2013
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Shadow loves eggs. I give them to her now and then. I used to pound the shells into powder and add it to the dogs food. Sabi hated raw eggs but Shadow will steal them.
I don't think First Mate has peas in it. I double checked and didn't see any. It does have potatoes.
My dog eats better then I do.
I will check out Sport Dog but I am a bit freaky about manufacturing and quality control. Its why I keep hesitating about switching kibble.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 11:36 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabis mom View Post
Shadow is on First Mate kibble.
Allergic to beef and a few other things. Chronic itching and biting. And so stressed I have issues getting her to eat. The itching is new. The stress is not. I switched her from the chicken kibble to the lamb and it reduced the itching but did not stop it.
She will not touch fish or coconut oil.
She still eats raw chicken and does fine.
Her stool is good. Formed and solid.
She will vomit if I let her stomach get empty and gets fed twice a day to prevent it.
Need to stop the itching and would love info on supplements for joint support and stress relief.
I might not be reading this correctly. Are you still feeding the raw chicken after switching from the chicken kibble to lamb kibble? If so, it may be worth stopping the raw chicken for a while to see if it will further reduce the itching.

"If you can't see his soul when you look in his eyes, then you need a seeing-eye dog"

Last edited by Heartandsoul; 08-05-2017 at 11:46 PM.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 11:56 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartandsoul View Post
I might not be reading this correctly. Are you still feeding the raw chicken after switching from the chicken kibble to lamb kibble? If so, it may be worth stopping the raw chicken for a while to see if it will further reduce the itching.
Yes I have still given chicken. Raw pork gives her the runs and I definitely can't afford lamb.
I just like her to have a bit of actual meat and I don't notice any increase in the itching. I could stop for a while.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-06-2017, 12:48 AM
Crowned Member

What about doing raw chicken + base mix (no kibble at all)? The Honest Kitchen's Preference base mix is flax-free and grain-free. Just add chicken or eggs or whatever protein, and some fish oil. One of the things I like about Preference is the dehydrated fruit/veggie ingredients have several natural sources of quercetin, a natural antihistimine. You could also try supplementing quercetin directly, if you think there's a possible allergic component to the itching.

I saw great results giving Natural Eggshell Membrane (NEM) and Hyaluronic Acid/Collagen II with my last oldster. Gatorbytes was the one who turned me onto it. You can get NEM as capsules, or just pull the membranes out of all your eggs. I think you can extract out the HA/Collagen II out of chicken necks and cartilage if you make bone broth.
Heartandsoul and voodoolamb like this.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-06-2017, 01:08 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magwart View Post
What about doing raw chicken + base mix (no kibble at all)? The Honest Kitchen's Preference base mix is flax-free and grain-free. Just add chicken or eggs or whatever protein, and some fish oil. One of the things I like about Preference is the dehydrated fruit/veggie ingredients have several natural sources of quercetin, a natural antihistimine. You could also try supplementing quercetin directly, if you think there's a possible allergic component to the itching.

I saw great results giving Natural Eggshell Membrane (NEM) and Hyaluronic Acid/Collagen II with my last oldster. Gatorbytes was the one who turned me onto it. You can get NEM as capsules, or just pull the membranes out of all your eggs. I think you can extract out the HA/Collagen II out of chicken necks and cartilage if you make bone broth.
Wish I could afford to do raw but I can't. The raw prepared is to pricey and I simply don't have the room or the time to do it myself.
The best I can do is a good kibble and as much meat and whole fresh foods as I can.
I know there are good supplements I can add to her kibble. I need to get the stress level in line so she will eat reliably though. And at near 7 with her issues I would like to know about boosting her immune system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page