Whole grain Millet as a dog food ingredient and the effect on thyroid function - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-30-2017, 01:59 AM Thread Starter

Whole grain Millet as a dog food ingredient and the effect on thyroid function

After the Chewy sellout Nutrisource dropped them.

I feed my active worker Victor Grain Free Hero.

My retired and older dogs do not need grain free and did fine on Nutrisource Chicken and rice.

Looking at Victor's other offerings (Professional for example), I find that whole grain millet is pretty high up on the ingredient list.

Wherever and whenever millet becomes a staple food worldwide, the incidence of goiter increases and abnormalities of thyroid function and iodine metabolism occur Further, animal studies in rats, pet birds, and goats and tissue (in vitro) studies demonstrate unequivocally that this cereal plays a major role in causing goiter, thyroid abnormalities and impairment of iodine metabolism.

SOURCE

I'm very satisified with the GF Victor food.

Anyone her fed a Victor grain inclusive formula long term, and have you noticed any thyroide defeciencies in yout animal (or goiters)?

Thanks, hope I am not overthinking this.

Last edited by itisdieter; 07-30-2017 at 02:07 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-30-2017, 10:01 AM
Crowned Member

I feed Victor Hi-pro. Have for about 3 years. I haven't noticed any health changes that would indicate thyroid issues. And definitely no goiters or similar issues.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-30-2017, 10:36 AM
Crowned Member

Have fed Victor for about 3 years. No health issues. As far as goiters, the only way to really tell is with an ultrasound of the thyroid gland.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-30-2017, 01:02 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
Have fed Victor for about 3 years. No health issues. As far as goiters, the only way to really tell is with an ultrasound of the thyroid gland.
I assumed that he meant large goiters that are actually physically seen in severe thyroid issues.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-30-2017, 03:05 PM
Crowned Member

ok. My post wasn't directed at you. I was answering the OP

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-30-2017, 11:02 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

I have fed victor with milet for several years now and have had no problems. We start senior thyroid testing next year.

Interesting insight but the issue with goitrogenic foods would be on an iodine poor diet.If there is adequate dietary iodine there should not be an issue?

Busting The Goitrogen Myth - Autoimmune Wellness

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2017, 04:04 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dainerra View Post
I feed Victor Hi-pro. Have for about 3 years. I haven't noticed any health changes that would indicate thyroid issues. And definitely no goiters or similar issues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
Thanks for the reassurance. Goiters were not my primary concern, thyroid deficiencies caused by the interference with iodine metabolism.

It ia always reassuring to hear real world experience, thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyJ View Post
I have fed victor with milet for several years now and have had no problems. We start senior thyroid testing next year.

Interesting insight but the issue with goitrogenic foods would be on an iodine poor diet.If there is adequate dietary iodine there should not be an issue?

Busting The Goitrogen Myth - Autoimmune Wellness
That is a great find, thanks for sharing Nancy.

The only difference I see in the human consumption of the foods listed in the article you found are not "staples" that make up a large portion of the daily diet, as millet does in the Victor food.

The article you linked states that those foods consumed in moderate quantities can be beneficial, but my fear is that millet is in the top 5 ingredients on the list of Victor, and I would not consider that a moderate quantity when fed daily.

One of the dogs in question is almost 12 and the other is a rescue I'm guessing is 10.

They are doing well on Nutrisource, so even though I got reassuring feedback, I think I'll just suck it up and spend a few bucks more per bag from another supplier ... if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I'm really happy with the grain free Victor. After moving production to the US and adulterating the Acana formula, my working dog didn't find it palatable and I was unhappy with the catfish substation in the formulas.

He seems to find the Victor palatable, and even switching GF to GF, stool size/output has decreased on Victor.

To vary the his diet, I feed 2 30 pound bags of Victor GF and then 1 44 pound bag of Hi Tek (I can rotate between fish, lamb, and chicken main protein sources with that food, and the Victor is primarily beef, giving a good variety).

As happy as I am with the GF Victor, and the reassurance you folks provided, I think I'll just keep the old dogs on Nutrisource ... they like it, so no need to change to save a few bucks a bag.

Thanks for taking time out of your day to help me, I appreciate it!

Cheers.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2017, 07:30 AM
Crowned Member

In hi-pro, millet is #7 on the ingredient list.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2017, 08:19 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

If you look again at the link I provided SWEET POTATO also makes the list of goitrogens. It is the primary carb in most grain free foods.

Nancy

-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2017, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dainerra View Post
In hi-pro, millet is #7 on the ingredient list.
That is true, but I would be looking to feed the Professional formula I linked to my seniors as they do not require a high level of protein, and it is in the order I stated on the list Dainerra.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyJ View Post
If you look again at the link I provided SWEET POTATO also makes the list of goitrogens. It is the primary carb in most grain free foods.
Great point Nancy, and the Hero formula I feed has sweet potatoes as #2 on the ingredient list.

THIS ARTICLE helps alleviate my fears about the goitrogens in sweet potatoes, as it states:

Quote:
... While the goitrogens in foods that contain them are usually reduced by cooking (such as cruciferous vegetables), cooking actually increases the goitrogenic effect of millet! Therefore, when folks begin eating large amounts of millet bread with a wholesale switch over from wheat, the goitrogenic effects of this simple dietary change can be profound...
The linked article is not authored by a scientist or doctor, but I trust she did her due diligence in her research for the publication.

Cooked/processed cruciferous vegetables apparently have a different risk profle than millet when cooked.

And again, goiters are not my primary concern, the possible effect on milet and the body's ability to process iodine and the resulting effect on thyroid function is my worry. As old as these dogs are, it may not matter, but I tend to over research everything.

I've read several accounts of folks praising Voctor's grain inclusive formulas, and am not here to discredit them I just like to error on the side of safety.

Nancy's post, however, has sent me down another rabbit hole, I need to further research if cooking cruciferous vegetables actually accomplishes what my linked article states.

Thanks for your help, gang.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page