Purina Pro Plan Sport - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 08:45 PM Thread Starter

Purina Pro Plan Sport

Anyone feeding the Purina Pro Plan Sport 30/20 to their dogs? Was debating on switching from Taste of the Wild.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 10:59 PM

Dog food is always a touchy subject. My problem is what company can you really trust any more? And I know I am not capable financially or physically of making dog food, I would be too worried not doing it right enough.

That is what I am switching to. I was on Nutro Puppy Ultra for over 10months and got a bad batch or something so went with Pro Plan Savor Shredded Chicken and rice (big mistake they like to pick out the shredded pieces so going to start a slow switch from that to the Pro Plan Sport 30/20. Plus the local store had a 10% extra bag and it was on sale.

I had (years ago) a beautifully breed dog that the breeder had her dogs on Pro Plan when it was just Pro Plan or Pro Plan puppy so I felt safe going there plus I ran into a lady at Costco who said her husband was a veterinarian and uses Purina Pro Plan. That her husband said they had the science to back it up.

Will probably go down to Purina Dog Chow Complete once all the dogs are old enough and the one we took in is back to where she should be from being on the street and gets all her muscles and natural body fat back. I have been told it will take time and to keep her on a high quality puppy food until then even though she is 1 to 2 years old.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 11:42 PM
The Friendly Neighborhood Witch Mod

Victor or Sport Dog Food are both reasonably priced and better quality that Purina. I was just recently informed that Sport Dog Food uses ethoxyquin as a preservative for their fish meal, so I would stick to the other proteins until they change that.

Pro Plan's ingredient list is pretty horrendous...

Chicken, Corn Gluten Meal, Brewers Rice, Animal Fat Preserved with Mixed-Tocopherols (Form of Vitamin E), Poultry By-Product Meal (Natural Source of Glucosamine), Whole Grain Corn, Corn Germ Meal, Fish Meal (Natural Source of Glucosamine), Animal Digest, Fish Oil, Dried Egg Product, Salt, Calcium Carbonate, Potassium Chloride, Calcium Phosphate, Vitamin E Supplement, Choline Chloride, L-Lysine Monohydrochloride, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (Source of Vitamin C), Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Niacin, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Copper Sulfate, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Garlic Oil, Folic Acid, Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Calcium Iodate, Biotin, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Source of Vitamin K Activity), Sodium Selenite.

You are paying a lot of money for corn, rice and by-product meal. Not worth it in my opinion.
wolfstraum likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 07:13 AM
Crowned Member

Quote: Pro Plan's ingredient list is pretty horrendous...

Chicken, Corn Gluten Meal, Brewers Rice, Animal Fat Preserved with Mixed-Tocopherols (Form of Vitamin E), Poultry By-Product Meal (Natural Source of Glucosamine), Whole Grain Corn, Corn Germ Meal, Fish Meal(WHAT fish???) (Natural Source of Glucosamine), Animal Digest, Fish Oil, Dried Egg Product, Salt, Calcium Carbonate, Potassium Chloride, Calcium Phosphate, Vitamin E Supplement, Choline Chloride, L-Lysine Monohydrochloride, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (Source of Vitamin C), Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Niacin, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Copper Sulfate, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Garlic Oil, Folic Acid, Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Calcium Iodate, Biotin, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex() (Source of Vitamin K Activity), Sodium Selenite.

You are paying a lot of money for corn, rice and by-product meal. Not worth it in my opinion.[/QUOTE]

Agree with Gypsy. I personally would never feed a Purina product.
I'd choose a higher quality food!

Appendix - Dog Food Samples Used in CVM Pentobarbital Surveys and Analytical Results = “There appear to be associations between rendered or hydrolyzed ingredients and the presence of pentobarbital in dog food. The ingredients Meat and Bone Meal (MBM), Beef and Bone Meal (BBM), Animal Fat (AF), and Animal Digest (AD) are rendered or hydrolyzed from animal sources that could include euthanized animals”.
As of yet, I have not seen this statement recanted or re-vised.

Purina:
Purina Pro Plan Sport-inedible-tanker-large.jpg

Name:  Purina Plant 2.jpg
Views: 647
Size:  59.7 KB

Moms
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 09:13 AM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyGhost View Post
Victor or Sport Dog Food are both reasonably priced and better quality that Purina. I was just recently informed that Sport Dog Food uses ethoxyquin as a preservative for their fish meal, so I would stick to the other proteins until they change that.

Pro Plan's ingredient list is pretty horrendous...

Chicken, Corn Gluten Meal, Brewers Rice, Animal Fat Preserved with Mixed-Tocopherols (Form of Vitamin E), Poultry By-Product Meal (Natural Source of Glucosamine), Whole Grain Corn, Corn Germ Meal, Fish Meal (Natural Source of Glucosamine), Animal Digest, Fish Oil, Dried Egg Product, Salt, Calcium Carbonate, Potassium Chloride, Calcium Phosphate, Vitamin E Supplement, Choline Chloride, L-Lysine Monohydrochloride, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (Source of Vitamin C), Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Niacin, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Copper Sulfate, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Garlic Oil, Folic Acid, Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Calcium Iodate, Biotin, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Source of Vitamin K Activity), Sodium Selenite.

You are paying a lot of money for corn, rice and by-product meal. Not worth it in my opinion.

I spoke with their customer service (always super responsive) and the traces of ethoxyquin are eliminated as of 1/25. I think they're having an Amazon sale on the GF beef for $1/lb.

Victor is also in my rotation and it's great too.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 09:22 AM
The Friendly Neighborhood Witch Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dotbat215 View Post
I spoke with their customer service (always super responsive) and the traces of ethoxyquin are eliminated as of 1/25. I think they're having an Amazon sale on the GF beef for $1/lb.

Oh that's wonderful! I can add the whitefish back into my rotation then! Thanks for sharing! I snatched one of those on sale beef bags so fast yesterday, lol.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 04:00 PM

Question

Well I opened the pro plan sport 32/20 to start a slow transition and no one seems to like it?

Makes me wonder if the other pro plan has sugar or something more desirable to them or if the Pro Plan Sport is just not good?

I haven't seen my dogs do this. At least my 3 haven't tried it on the other 2 that are my kids but I might give up and return it and go back to the other Pro Plan. Any ideas?
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 06:06 PM
Crowned Member

Something other than a Purina product.

Trust worthy ingredients: Acana, Nature's Variety, Fromms, Nauture's Logic.

Moms
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 06:10 PM
The "I'm not dead yet" Administrator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieJo View Post
Well I opened the pro plan sport 32/20 to start a slow transition and no one seems to like it?

Makes me wonder if the other pro plan has sugar or something more desirable to them or if the Pro Plan Sport is just not good?

I haven't seen my dogs do this. At least my 3 haven't tried it on the other 2 that are my kids but I might give up and return it and go back to the other Pro Plan. Any ideas?

Maybe I missed it, but why the switch in the first place?
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dotbat215 View Post

I spoke with SDF owner tonight - super helpful! I'm out of their delivery area but as soon as they show up on Amazon I'll definitely check out their food. 1-2 month delivery timeframe right now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page