Purina Pro Plan Sport - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 10:17 PM
The Friendly Neighborhood Witch Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilo_vom_Haus_Weislogel View Post
I spoke with SDF owner tonight - super helpful! I'm out of their delivery area but as soon as they show up on Amazon I'll definitely check out their food. 1-2 month delivery timeframe right now.
Just so you know, their other varieties are available for delivery now on Amazon. The beef was just on a super sale, which is probably why Amazon is out of stock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 03:57 PM

Dog Food and Your Dog's Health: Scary Myths | Blog4Dogs

Check this out.

I would never ever feed Purina.

Whole Dog Journal has a lot of good information about selecting appropriate foods. Good luck!
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 01:37 AM

Try Earthborn it is a family owned company family owned factory. and the only grain they use it rice. But they have some grain free formulas. It's very reasonably priced.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 08:28 AM
Master Member

I like Pro Plan, it is one of my favorite foods. My only complaint about it, is that it does not seem to do as good of a job of keeping my dogs teeth clean like Science Diet or Euk. It is common knowledge that most show dogs are fed it. I have never fed the sport, no need for that much protein and fat for my dogs. Ignore all the misinformation on the net. I have generally had horrible results with most of the supposed 5 star foods that use the ingredients list as a marketing tool, and don't employee any nutritionists, only have a marketing department and don't do any feeding studies. Oh and any ingredient that leaves the human food chain and is intended for pet food, must be clearly labeled as inedible animal food, so it does not re-enter the human food chain, so Purina is clearly abiding by federal law, but just another example of misinformation on the net. Let your dog tell you what works for him/her, not some wanna be internet nutritionist.
mmags likes this.

Last edited by dz0qp5; 02-04-2017 at 08:31 AM. Reason: updating
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 10:56 AM

Ouch just read the review of Pro Plan, 2 stars might as well get Old Roy, here is a link to the review
Purina Pro Plan Sport Dog Food | Review | Rating | Recalls
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 11:42 AM

What bugs me about companies like Purina is they use the crap ingredients then advertise it as though it is the best quality available. And to back up their claim the charge an amount equal to what you pay for a good quality dog food. The result, people who equate quality with price (and want the best for their pets) are duped into buying pet food that is no better than the cheaper stuff.

I call that lying by misdirection and I don't do business with companies who subscribe to the tactic. The same it true of those companies who source their ingredients from China but assemble it in the USA and then plaster "Made in the USA" all over their packaging.

It's none of my business if someone decides to purchase Purina but price it accordingly and stop lying to the public about what they're buying. For example, Purina Pro receives DogFoodAdvisor's second-lowest tier rating of 2.5 stars (i.e. it's junk) while 4Heatth, which cost about the same, receives the Advisor’s second-highest tier rating of 4 stars.
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 12:12 PM

I never thought I would feed Pro Plan, but after years of trying to find something that would work for my now senior girl, I finally tried the sensitive skin formula. It works and no more scratching or throwing up. My other two usually get either Victor or Nature's Domain but sometimes they have the pro plan as well. All are doing well. I do often add in things like sardines, veggies, etc. They also get a little canned food as well. For teeth, the two that can eat chicken get a chicken wing or back once a week or so. I would be careful of the Natures Logic food as some are saying on dogfoodadvisor that it is not properly balanced with vitamins. But just do your homework and feed what works for your dog and budget.
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 12:15 PM
Elite Member

I feed purina feeds to all my animals- horses, cow, chickens, dogs. I used the puppy chow, now I feed the purina large breed puppy to my GSD. She is healthy, growing, shiny coat,no problems.
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dz0qp5 View Post
I like Pro Plan, it is one of my favorite foods. My only complaint about it, is that it does not seem to do as good of a job of keeping my dogs teeth clean like Science Diet or Euk. It is common knowledge that most show dogs are fed it. I have never fed the sport, no need for that much protein and fat for my dogs. Ignore all the misinformation on the net. I have generally had horrible results with most of the supposed 5 star foods that use the ingredients list as a marketing tool, and don't employee any nutritionists, only have a marketing department and don't do any feeding studies. Oh and any ingredient that leaves the human food chain and is intended for pet food, must be clearly labeled as inedible animal food, so it does not re-enter the human food chain, so Purina is clearly abiding by federal law, but just another example of misinformation on the net. Let your dog tell you what works for him/her, not some wanna be internet nutritionist.
I can't imaging millions of dogs being fed Pro Plan are in horrible condition because they don't use "Whole Food" type ingredients. Granted I understand where people are coming from when they say there are extra fillers which is reflected in the prices. There is certainly a lot of debate around raw, kibble and food in general and I'm not an expert
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 03:42 PM

Hey I'm one of the guilty ones here, I fed my old GSD Alpo and Purina canned food for most of his life ( I just didn't know any better) He lived to 14.5 and was healthy and active for most of it. Could he has lived to 16 or more if I fed better food ?...I'll never know. But I don't beat myself up about it, I did the best I could at that time and between raising kids, work and all that other life stuff going on back then, I'm sure I wouldn't be able to afford feeding a $100 bag anyhow. Now semi retired and kids grown up I look at things very different, lol. **** I used to give my kids $5 to go eat lunch at McDonalds and Macaroni and Cheese with Hotdogs was served for dinner a couple of times a week (now knowing what's in Hotdogs its surprising Kids are healthy too, lol).
gdenton55 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page