URGENT - China Jerky Treats leave 600 dogs dead & more than 3000 sick. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation URGENT - China Jerky Treats leave 600 dogs dead & more than 3000 sick.

I'm not sure how to get this the most visibilty, but I received it today from Petflow.com. I heard other stories months back but appears to be an ongoing issue. Please relay as widely as possible.

Please FORWARD this email to friends and family!
As reported by Fox News...

URGENT - China Jerky Treats leave 600 dogs dead & more than 3000 sick.‏

The Food and Drug Administration issued an alert to consumers about the illnesses and deaths tied to jerky treats from China. According to officials, the exact cause of death remains unknown. Health officials are warning dog owners to be cautious about feeding their dogs jerky treats as they continue to investigate these illnesses. Nearly 600 dogs are dead, and more than 3,000 are sick.

“This is one of the most elusive and mysterious outbreaks we’ve encountered,” Bernadette Dunham, director of the FDA’s Center for Veterinary Medicine, said in a statement. “Our beloved four-legged companions deserve our best effort, and we are giving it.”

Reports from pet owners and vets regarding jerky treat-related illnesses date back to 2007 and have affected 3,600 dogs and 10 cats in the U.S.A. Approximately 580 of those pets have perished, according to a news release.

Officials say the number of reports may have declined because fewer jerky treats were available to consumers. Following reports of tainted treats, a number of pet jerky treats were pulled from the market earlier this year.

How Do I Know If My Pet Is Sick?

Symptoms observed within hours of eating the treats include:

Decreased appetite
Vomiting
Diarrhea
Decreased activity
Increased water consumption
Increased urination
If your pet has any of these symptoms, please contact your vet ASAP!

Severe cases have involved kidney failure and gastrointestinal bleeding, the FDA said.

“Our fervent hope as animal lovers is that we will soon find the cause of—and put a stop to—these illnesses,” Dunham said.

I lurk, therefore I am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013, 02:15 PM

I don't buy anything made in china. I feel really bad for the people who have lost their dogs to this illness.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013, 02:26 PM

Hasn't this been going on since 2007? Now finally the word is getting out.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

5 dogs (2 GSD & 3 pugs), 1 cat, 2 parrots and a horse
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013, 03:34 PM
Knighted Member

I was upset that costco sold these treats I had bought them. Halfway thru the bag my daughter brought it to my attn that it was made in china. It was my fault for not checking.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-24-2013, 11:14 AM

This has happened before with chicken jerky. I believe about 5+ years ago. Since that happened I look at all the packages when I buy anything animal related and make sure it doesn't say made in china. I also do not feed my guys anything that is not made in the USA and Canada. My husband happened to buy those awhile back and they went right into the garbage. China has no quality control and they really don't give a crap about animals or Americans. I thought after so many recalls people would learn and not buy anything made outside of the US. Although US companies make mistakes too and there are recalls but nothing like what china does to our animals.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-24-2013, 11:28 AM

I never buy any food/treats that say made in China and I've just about given up on any commercial dog treat. From what I understand the treat packaging may say "made in USA" or "made in Canada" but be mindful that some of the ingredients to produce the actual treat itself may still come from China or other outside source.

Rompin'Stompin'RagtimeJazz - "Jazzy"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 11:01 PM

I never feed my dog jerky treats and try and stay with the "Made in the USA" treats... However last weekend I went to te pet store and they always give the dog a treat at the register. I didn't notice it at first but it was a little piece of jerky... Well, my poor 10 month old for SO sick from it. He lost 6 lbs in 2 days from vomiting and diahrea. The vet had to give him fluids and take blood tests to make sure he wasn't suffering worse. Never again am I letting him get a treat from anywhere like that. Homemade from now on!! Be careful please.. It still makes me mad these treats are still being sold in stores.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-08-2013, 01:36 AM
Elite Member

Scary stuff. I read somewhere you should never give rawhide treats to dogs that are made in China, because these hides are rejects and all sorts of bleaching and treating with various chemicals is done to make them look like the final product.

Actually, come to think of it, I really don't buy any food made in China, whether for us or my dogs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page