Help for Skin Allergies - What food is best? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-26-2013, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

Help for Skin Allergies - What food is best?

My 8 year old Alli is constantly itching and licking. The vet told me to give her benedryl daily. She has had a few skin infections and needed to take antibiotics. I don't want to be giving my dog medicine - especially if there is a food that will help with this issue. Currently, i feed her grain-free kibble but I am willing to give her something that will help her with the itching. Is this skin condition prevalent in Shepherd's? If so, is there a food that will help alleviate these symptoms?

Please help my dog!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-26-2013, 02:11 PM
Crowned Member

How do you know these are food related? Food allergies are actually a very small percentage. Are her symptoms year round? Or only during certain seasons?

Here's an interesting article
Selective Immunoglobulin A Deficiency in Pets

post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-26-2013, 02:12 PM
Knighted Member

What food are you feeding?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-26-2013, 02:17 PM Thread Starter

Nutro grain free
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-26-2013, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

I have been basing this "food allergy" from information from the vet. Her symptoms begin in the Spring and into Fall. However, she does experience itching in the winter too - its just not as bad.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-26-2013, 02:20 PM
Knighted Member

My vet said to use a LID (limited ingredients ) dog food until we rule out what the food allergy was. The first food we gave up was chicken and grains, that seems to be doing the trick.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-26-2013, 02:22 PM
Knighted Member

Try one of the LID Natural Balance formulas. Go with a novel protein like fish, venison, or buffalo for example. Keep her on it for a few weeks and look for improvement.

Add extras like coconut oil, salmon oil, Olewo carrots/beets, yogurt, probiotics.

What kind of flea/tick prevention are you using? Do you apply lawn treatments? Is she around anything that might trigger an allergic reaction? Allergies and skin issues are common problems in the GSD - hope you find a solution
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-26-2013, 02:26 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allidog View Post
I have been basing this "food allergy" from information from the vet. Her symptoms begin in the Spring and into Fall. However, she does experience itching in the winter too - its just not as bad.
If it's worse during the pollen seasons then I would guess part of it is environmental.

Local, raw, honey helped my Jax and Courtney's dogs. I give 1 tsp per day. Claritin barely kept it all under control but she was still uncomfortable. It all went away once I started giving her the honey. It's like a natural allergy shot. You just have to make sure the pollens in the honey are the ones active during that time. My beekeeper collects twice a year. Mid summer and fall so I give the spring honey (collected in midsummer) until about July and then switch to the fall honey.

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-26-2013, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for sharing this article - very interesting. I think it is time to find a new vet! However, I am still curious about the food. I don't think Nurto is a good choice since their food is comprised of meat by-products (just learned this today).
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-26-2013, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

I do give her Frontline monthly - our backyard is wooded. As far as lawn treatments, none this season. Thank you the input on food and extras!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page