Earthborn Holistic® Primitive Natural - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-26-2012, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Earthborn Holistic® Primitive Natural

Does anyone feed this food? I am considering switching Sasha over to this from TOTW after I get an e-mail back from the manufacturer as to whether or not the fish they use is purchased free of ethoxyquin?

I'm just trying to get away from a food made by diamond, but is still sold locally. Another food I'm considering is Blue Buffalo, but I'm not overly impressed by it. It looks like a decent food, but for some reason I'm just not really in love with it.

If anyone else has any suggestions feel free. I can't feed Orijen because I can't afford it and the nearest place for me to buy it is at least an hour away. I also can't feed raw because I lack a deep freezer and space for a deep freezer.

~Sasha~{GSD}~ 3ish~Gotcha day January, 29, 2011
~Monte~{Golden Retriever}~ (RIP)~ 1997-2009

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-26-2012, 11:40 AM

I feed it to my girls (I usually rotate through the flavors). They like it, and do well on it.

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-26-2012, 11:48 AM
Crowned Member

Highly recommend the food.....I have used it.
I would use it exclusively if it were a little more cost effective for me. (multiple dogs).
*However;....it can be a little rich for some dogs.*

Huerta Hof German Shepherds

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

....where breeding is still considered an art....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-26-2012, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogfaeries View Post
I feed it to my girls (I usually rotate through the flavors). They like it, and do well on it.
I didn't see different flavor options. Maybe I'm blind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinhuerta View Post
Highly recommend the food.....I have used it.
I would use it exclusively if it were a little more cost effective for me. (multiple dogs).
*However;....it can be a little rich for some dogs.*
You've never had any problems having dogs on it, as far as getting cancer or anything like that. I ask because that chemical that they don't specify whether or not is present in their fish is thought to be a carcinogen.

Also, do you like the primitive natural better than their other food types?

post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-26-2012, 12:06 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

I did contact the company because I was looking at their products, and for the Primitive Natural, the Ash is very high at 12% Calcium is 2.45% and Phosphorus 1.5 %--the Great Plains and Coastal Catch are more moderate but I don't know ash for therm.

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-26-2012, 12:07 PM
Crowned Member

I liked the Primitive Natural best.....I thought that it had the highest calories.....since my dogs are pretty active, we need the extra calories for many of the dogs.....but that's the only reason.

Huerta Hof German Shepherds

....where breeding is still considered an art....
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-26-2012, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocoyn View Post
I did contact the company because I was looking at their products, and for the Primitive Natural, the Ash is very high at 12% Calcium is 2.45% and Phosphorus 1.5 %--the Great Plains and Coastal Catch are more moderate but I don't know ash for therm.
Thank you. Upon first glance I don't really like that ash content, but I also don't know what the side effects of an ash content that high are, if there are any. I will have to look into this a bit more.

post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-26-2012, 12:24 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

I don't know either. I do know ash can be hard on the kidneys and is a sign of more bone in the meal compared to meat. But how much is too much, I don't honestly know. The other foods are about 1.5% calcium and 1% phosphorus so I assume the ash would be comparably lower. BUt TOTW was only about 9% ash I think...........

Nancy

-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-26-2012, 12:24 PM
Banned

Midwestern Pet Foods make Primitive Natural and that company runs one of the best operations around.

I would however disagree that food is a high calorie by todays standards.

3800 cal per KG is pretty average. Native Level 3 is 4400 cal per KG and half the price.

OP, you can save yourself a boat load of money using a conventional 30/20 type food that every feed store in Iowa carries. One that comes to mind is Native Level 3 @ $1lb in 40lb bags.

But.... Primitive Natural is a fine food and I would probably pick that food over Orijen. The other GF's from Earthborn are good as well as ones from Nutrisource.

I still would look for a conventional 30/20 type.

As far as Ash goes it all depends on the age of the dog and how much work it gets. Working dogs drink a lot more than house dogs and so Ash is less of a fear. Older dogs shouldn't be eating such a rich food anyway.

If you want a low-ash high protein high fat food then try Loyall Professional 31/20. The Ash is 5.5% I believe which is astonishing for a food that costs $.75lb.

Last edited by LongFunRun; 05-26-2012 at 12:29 PM.
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-26-2012, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongFunRun View Post
Midwestern Pet Foods make Primitive Natural and that company runs one of the best operations around.

I would however disagree that food is a high calorie by todays standards.

3800 cal per KG is pretty average. Native Level 3 is 4400 cal per KG and half the price.

OP, you can save yourself a boat load of money using a conventional 30/20 type food that every feed store in Iowa carries. One that comes to mind is Native Level 3 @ $1lb in 40lb bags.

But.... Primitive Natural is a fine food and I would probably pick that food over Orijen. The other GF's from Earthborn are good as well as ones from Nutrisource.

I still would look for a conventional 30/20 type.

As far as Ash goes it all depends on the age of the dog and how much work it gets. Working dogs drink a lot more than house dogs and so Ash is less of a fear. Older dogs shouldn't be eating such a rich food anyway.

If you want a low-ash high protein high fat food then try Loyall Professional 31/20. The Ash is 5.5% I believe which is astonishing for a food that costs $.75lb.
I am not familiar with this 30/20 food that you're speaking of. What is this ratio?

I looked up the ingredients in that Native Level 3 and it seems to be very low on meat and very high on grains, which I'm not really a fan of. That Loyall professional doesn't really appear to have hardly any meat at all, and is once again mostly grain, so I'm wondering why you recommend that over a food with more meat and less/no grains. I would say $.75lb is pretty high for a food that doesn't have much nutritional value.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page