TOTW voluntary recall... - Page 5 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 200 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 09:46 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

I am not sure it is the ONLY human grade food- That said I think the flaxseed is a worthless additive for dogs. It *does* come out being more expensive than comparable levels of Orijen, whose ingredients I like better. [which I am not sure I will even feed that - just considering]

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 200 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 09:55 AM
Knighted Member

I am not a believer in Honest Kitchen personally. Most of their products have fruits and veggies, which I do not give to my dogs on a regular basis. One you have to add meat. All of them you add water, so basically, in my opinion, it is like feeding them something of the consistency of stuffing like we eat with our Turkey on Thanksgiving. If I have to add meat to a product, I would save my money on HK and feed totally raw, which in the long run I prefer, however financially, that is not an option right now. I cannot see my dogs wanting to eat 'stuffing' all the time....I know I wouldn't.

Nadia - GSD -DOB 12-29-07
Zisso - GSD- DOB 9-16-07
Pepe & Kiki`my sweet kitties

Zisso is my heart~Nadia is my Love~My kitties bring me everything in between~Together they bring me Joy!
post #43 of 200 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 09:57 AM
Crowned Member

(REPLY To Zisso @ 8:55am)
Yes, you are correct in that it is soft, but you could give them a large knuckle bone (UNCOOKED) from the grocery store or pet boutique if that is your concern. If they have never had one, be sure to limit their time as their gut needs to get use to it. Keep it in the frig or freezer when not using. Quote by Dr. Karen Becker, Holistic Vet: "Remember: eating crunchy granola doesn’t brush or clean your teeth. You have to brush your teeth. Likewise, eating crunchy kibble doesn’t brush or clean your pet’s teeth. You still have to brush your pet’s teeth. So please don’t use this rationale to feed your pet a diet of mainly dry foods."
Hopefully that will ease your mind and allow you to try HK!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 200 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 10:07 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocoyn View Post
I am not sure it is the ONLY human grade food- That said I think the flaxseed is a worthless additive for dogs. It *does* come out being more expensive than comparable levels of Orijen, whose ingredients I like better. [which I am not sure I will even feed that - just considering]
Orijen is a great kibble, I just hope is doesn't change since the other corporation got involved! If you decide to use it, transition very slowly.
I do a lot of dog food brand reviews and as far as I know, Honest Kitchen is the ONLY manufacturer in the USA to have written permission from the FDA to use the term “Human-Grade” on its product label! Hope this helps!
post #45 of 200 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 11:16 AM
Master Member

Returned the bag of Natural Balance Sweet Potato & Venison and I'm going to try the Acana Pacifica food now. Back to a very slow transition again!
post #46 of 200 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 11:25 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzver View Post
Returned the bag of Natural Balance Sweet Potato & Venison and I'm going to try the Acana Pacifica food now. Back to a very slow transition again!

We went straight to acana and added some pumpkin for a few days and it went very smooth. Poops were perfect by day 2
post #47 of 200 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 11:38 AM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kr16 View Post
We went straight to acana and added some pumpkin for a few days and it went very smooth. Poops were perfect by day 2
Hmm, I was planning a fairly quick transition to Orijen, but now you've got me thinking about trying a straight switch with pumpkin ... I exchanged an unopened bag of TotW Pacific Stream Puppy for a bag of Orijen 6 Fish this morning, but still have a little over half of the 30 lb. bag of TotW that Jazz has been eating. As soon as she's transitioned I'm throwing away whatever TotW is left ... the more I can throw away the better at this point though.
post #48 of 200 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 11:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooney's Mom View Post
Here is the link and the the page posted below as well

Taste of the Wild : Information

Recall Information

Diamond Pet Foods, Manufacturer of Taste of the Wild Pet Food, Issues Voluntary Recall of Dry Pet Food
Recall is limited to product manufactured between December 9, 2011 through April 7, 2012 and distributed to 16 states and Canada

05/04/12
Thank you very much for this.
I got one of the bags and am returning it ... she ate half the 30 pound bag. Now I am looking up Salmonella poisoning symptoms.
post #49 of 200 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 12:02 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Clean-Air System View Post
Hmm, I was planning a fairly quick transition to Orijen, but now you've got me thinking about trying a straight switch with pumpkin ... I exchanged an unopened bag of TotW Pacific Stream Puppy for a bag of Orijen 6 Fish this morning, but still have a little over half of the 30 lb. bag of TotW that Jazz has been eating. As soon as she's transitioned I'm throwing away whatever TotW is left ... the more I can throw away the better at this point though.

Return it and get your money back, its what I did. I wasnt going to chance anything since it was so early and they were hiding what was going on. I had to do a full out switch in my mind.
post #50 of 200 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 12:03 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddyD View Post
Thank you very much for this.
I got one of the bags and am returning it ... she ate half the 30 pound bag. Now I am looking up Salmonella poisoning symptoms.
I'm doing the same. My dogs went through almost 30lbs of recalled food. I was JUST about to open the second 30lbs bag we had. Getting a refund on it today and switching to Acana or Orijen. Not playing these games when it comes to my dogs health.

I'm really concerned about their health!! Not only with the salmonella, but also with Zira. She has SIBO, and a switch of food can cause her to go back into a flair up. Not happy about this.

Hopefully your dog got through this without any damage!

Alyssa
-Zira (01/09/11)
-Pakros von Jagenstadt "Duke" (01/06/10) -CGC
-Storm vom EnZ (05/16/12)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page