TOTW voluntary recall... - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 200 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 11:22 PM
Elite Member

I'm really angrey right now, my 3 just finished one of the bags that were recalled, just opened another, all 3 are fine, right now, will be switching to something else tomorrow, no more diamond products for my 3

Max Von barkstoomuch, T.D.Inc, EPI Survivor, Bloat Survivor
Heidi Von affraidofpeople
Lilah Von cantsitstill

Tester/Observer T.D.INC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 200 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 11:29 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
when you expose the little salmonella bacteria to the high pressure and temperatures of the extrusion process, it turns little salmonellas into super-salmonellas, able to survive super high temperatures, run through high pressures, and leap from dog bowl to butt to humans in a single bound.

I know its not funny when I am deathly afraid for my girls and my baby puppies.
Are you serious? I thought that should KILL bacteria. I am puzzled More info on this? I am annoyed, as I switched to TOTW about 5 months ago, from a raw diet. I would prefer to feed raw, but my current schedule makes it very difficult as my dogs have to be boarded on a regular basis for the time being (annoyed with that too ) And now for the big question... is there a good quality kibble I can go to, that I can TRUST!!?? I really don't care what it costs for the most part. UHG

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do.
- Edward Everett Hale
post #33 of 200 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 11:40 PM
Banned

This is crazy frustrating. I'm going to dig into this tomorrow, as I have 2 dogs on Nat Bal Venison, 1 dog on TOTW Salmon and another dog on 4Health Salmon. All foods under the recall???????????????? AGH!!!!!!! I'm gonna shoot myself. I can't change them all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 200 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 11:43 PM

I went to buy a new bag of food the other day and I asked the lady at our local feed store (not a chain) about Diamonds recalls because I was concerned. She told me that she talked with the manufacturer and that they don't get their ToTW from the SC plant. This was before the voluntary recall, but now that I checked the list, my bag seems to not be affected. Thankfully.
post #35 of 200 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 11:44 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzver View Post
Ugh ... I have confirmed that the bag of Natural Balance Sweet Potato & Venison we are feeding is included in this recall. It is going back to the store tomorrow and I regret not going for the Acana grain free food.

We have been through **** and back with Jake (14 Weeks Old) with chronic diarrhea and he was finally doing well with us slowly transitioning him to this food. He's finally gaining weight again and I'm terrified another food change will set us back.

The problem is they produce so many brands of food ... It doesn't leave very many options.
Do yourself and that new precious little life a favor and feed him The Honest Kitchen brand foods which are ALL HUMAN GRADE! And I'll just bet cha....no diarrhea! Don't be shocked by the price of the box. 8 pounds of dehydrated Honest Kitchen makes 40 pounds!
post #36 of 200 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 12:07 AM
Knighted Member

While my state was not on the list (Washington) I am worried. Just because my state isn't on the list doesn't mean [to me] that we can't get the tainted food here via other stores, etc

Guess it is time to find something different for my two as well-what sucks the most about this, is that I have to get a new bag of food tomorrow because this one is almost gone-bottom of the bag. So I HAVE to buy more TOTW this time and some new brand to get them switched over.

I have been considering making a change anyway because I have noticed differences in the kibble- like the bag we are just finishing, has two different colors of kibble in it. Two years ago the kibble was always a nice dark rich brown. Now it just seems unstable.

Nadia - GSD -DOB 12-29-07
Zisso - GSD- DOB 9-16-07
Pepe & Kiki`my sweet kitties

Zisso is my heart~Nadia is my Love~My kitties bring me everything in between~Together they bring me Joy!
post #37 of 200 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 08:13 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zisso View Post

I have been considering making a change anyway because I have noticed differences in the kibble- like the bag we are just finishing, has two different colors of kibble in it. Two years ago the kibble was always a nice dark rich brown. Now it just seems unstable.
I agree, the kibble has been inconsistent, different color poop also

Max Von barkstoomuch, T.D.Inc, EPI Survivor, Bloat Survivor
Heidi Von affraidofpeople
Lilah Von cantsitstill

Tester/Observer T.D.INC
post #38 of 200 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 08:38 AM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocoyn View Post
WOW

I returned a bag with an expiration date of March 2013 (right in the middle of those dates) produced in SC about 2 weeks ago.......The odor was terrible! Glad I had only fed one bowl of it. ........ of course I was told no reason, everything all good, with the food but I refused it. Glad I did. Got them to send me a 2nd bag of Fromm instead.
I'm seriously considering switching Bunny from Chicken Soup to Fromm. The only reason why I haven't is she has an unknown food allergy and the Chicken Soup she's fine with and the price point is good. Fromm is $80 a bag here in Canada but I don't want my girl getting sick. I think she tried Fromm before and was fine on it.

Jazz, Shiloh Shepherd, 5 yrs old, CGC HIC
Bunny, GSD X, 7.5 years old
post #39 of 200 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 09:20 AM
Master Member

I switched my two from the TOTW High Prairie after Freyja got extremely sick this Christmas and our veterinarian linked it to her food. Christmas morning trips to the clinic are always fun. She had fever, hives, vomiting, diarrhea, physically couldn't stand for more than 5 minutes, etc. We returned the bag to the company with the report of her illness and treatment, and were given a full refund. Since then, both dogs have refused to eat the High Prairie formula. After trying a variety of foods, we now have them on the TOTW lamb formula. I hate to have to switch them again as it's a pain getting something they both like. I guess it's time to try out Orijen.

Freyja GSD- 6/21/10
Angus GSD-02/11/07
Bevin (princess kitty) 08/27/07
Porsche: kitty 7/2012

Teddy (collie)- 1990-09/13/2006
Franklin (collie) 1996-06/26/2006
post #40 of 200 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 09:23 AM
Crowned Member

[QUOTE=selzer;2474899]Well,
No, it's just the Diamond Naturals.

Uhm, no it's not, its a list of them.

Well I have nothing on that.

There has actually been 3 separate recalls!
It is REALLY long (about 3 pages) so I didn't know if I could put it on the blog.
PLEASE BE AWARE SOME ARE RECALLS, SOME ARE VOLUNTARY.

Canidade, Natural Balance, Wellness Large Breed Puppy (certain sizes), Taste of The Wild, 8 Kirkland products, Diamond & Diamond Naturals, Chicken Soup for the Pet Loverís Soul, Country Value, Premium Edge, Professional Pet Food, 4Health
The only dog food that is 100% HUMAN GRADE are The Honest Kitchen brands. It is dehydrated food, so don't let the price scare ya! 8 pounds makes approximately 40 pounds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page