Picky Eater - Help! - Page 5 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 03:10 PM

Have you ever tried using Nupro? I give both my pups nupro gold, great supplement, plus, if you add a little warm water and stir it in it makes a gravy. My 2 love it. Also try adding a little raw ground meat or Natures Variety instinct medallions. My female is very picky and she will not turn up a meal if it has some raw hamburger/turkey in it.

Baxter's Page (GSD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gemma vom Germelhaus (the new pup)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 69 (permalink) Old 02-28-2014, 07:06 AM

Some good tips in here. My boy is 13 months old and has really become picky with his food. We used to feed him dry blue buffalo and mix it with some wet canned food 1-2 times a weeks. Never had a feeding problem doing this since we brought him home at 8 weeks. He slowly stopped eating any of the dry food unless it was mixed. We switched his dry food and he eat it just fine again for a few days. He seemed to love it but now he's back to not eating. He just got weighed yesterday and is 65lbs, he was 75 in December.

I guess I'll have to have him back on the wet food mix and I'll try the cheese on top to. The problem also is we took out his wet food cause it gave him soft stool and he needs a high fiber food because he has anal sack problems. He's gotten multiple sack infections and vet says his stool isn't emptying his sacks when he goes. This dog is driving me crazy!

Heisenberg GSD 1/11/13
post #43 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-22-2014, 12:49 AM

We feed our dog Wellness dry and wet mixed, but have had trouble with her eating in the past.

Chewys freeze dried crumbled and sprinkled on top, a little of second new food added in, or a small scoop of canned pumpkin always did the trick.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 69 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014, 02:43 PM

I am having a very similar problem with my GSD Tess, who will be 2 at the end of August. She stopped eating her morning meal but will eat her evening meal, especially if a drizzle coconut oil all over it. I was concerned at first, but them my 1.5 year old Cairn Terrier is doing the exact same thing now. They both just sit there for a minute and then turn and walk away.

It appears to be happening a lot with GSD's who are in tact and around the same age and also heat seems to have an effect on them too!

I was feeding both of my girls TOTW, alternating between the Bison and the roasted Fowl. Then I saw Whole Earth Farms at Petco and decided to give it a try, I thought the ingredients looked good but the price looked even better! They didn't like it, plus it gave Tess the diarrhea, even though I moved them both over slowly. I decided to put them back on TOTW and now they won't touch it.

My husband keeps saying that they'll eat when they're hungry. I've tried adding water to it, canned food, pumpkin, yogurt and even chicken broth. I have to stay with a food that will fit my budget but also be a good food for my dogs. I'm thinking of moving them over to 4health, it's affordable for me and it has a 4 star rating.
post #45 of 69 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014, 03:00 PM

My 9 week old can be picky. While I'm not a fan of Diamond she loves the 4 health puppy. I top it with lamb natural balance roll. Just cut up peices drizzle on top

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #46 of 69 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014, 03:04 PM
Master Member

Question

Just out of curiosity why are you not a fan of Diamond?
This is what I feed my pups so I would love to hear what you do not like about it...
post #47 of 69 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by My2shepherds View Post
Just out of curiosity why are you not a fan of Diamond?
This is what I feed my pups so I would love to hear what you do not like about it...

I guess the recalls although many foods have recalls. I look at too much info online. I looked up 4 health reviews they were most bad. So I'm nervous. Maybe you can reassure me lol

post #48 of 69 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014, 03:26 PM
Master Member

I went off of the recommendation of my breeder who is also a trainer at a fairly well known facility here in Ohio. My pups seem to be doing well on it Athena (18 weeks) weighs 54 pounds and Eden (12 weeks) weighs 32 pounds. They are very, very active with solid stools and absolutely no health issues. I know that his shepherds are high performing and very active also and he feeds Diamond. I guess all of the brands can have issues at one time or another... but so far so good anyway!
post #49 of 69 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by My2shepherds View Post
I went off of the recommendation of my breeder who is also a trainer at a fairly well known facility here in Ohio. My pups seem to be doing well on it Athena (18 weeks) weighs 54 pounds and Eden (12 weeks) weighs 32 pounds. They are very, very active with solid stools and absolutely no health issues. I know that his shepherds are high performing and very active also and he feeds Diamond. I guess all of the brands can have issues at one time or another... but so far so good anyway!

It's funny my trainer here in Florida feeds all of his dogs Diamond as well. Both my pups are doing well on it I switched over cold turkey and my 9 week olds stool were perfect the next day. My 8 month old not too great yet but he's just getting over coccidia and on meds so that can cause mush stool. He was on Fromm LBP and stools never really perfect and if I fed too little he would drop weight. Plus the kibble so tiny he would spit it out when eating.

post #50 of 69 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014, 03:43 PM
Master Member

LOL... maybe we worry too much... It is terrible, for me it's like being a first time parent all over again and afraid that everything I do is wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page