Picky Eater - Help! - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 69 (permalink) Old 08-13-2011, 02:14 AM

i have a very picky shih tzu that feels sick pretty often from the heat and in turn does not eat. on those days i normally add half a spoon of plain organic yogurt and half a spoon of cottage cheese and mix it in with his dry food and he swallows everything. GSD mix eats raw and never had a problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacey_eight View Post
Is there a reason why intact males would suddenly change their eating habits?
I have the very same question. Anyone??
post #33 of 69 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 12:40 AM

Have you seen this $40 bag of high value food, grain free vs. $70 food? Horizon Pulsar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 06:20 PM
Banned

I have just the opposite issue with Tony. I have not read all the answers so someone might have mention this. Try cooking some cut up beef heart (pretty cheap at our butcher shop) in a small amount of water then coat the kibble with the juice and meat pieces. I have a small pan I use then I stick it in the freezer to cool it down before mixing it in. You could use any kind of meat.
post #35 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-26-2012, 08:08 AM

Having the same problem with my 16 month old female GSD that is fixed. I blame it mostly on my relatives spoiling her with an egg in her morning kibble while they were looking after her but maybe she's just hit that stage. She was on Wellness LBP before and was doing wonderful until we put her on Wellness Core Original formula which she was crazy about for about 2 months before the egg feeding started. Now I have to coax her to eat and she's been back with us for 2 months. Just tried TOTW Wetlands and she doesn't seem any more interested in it. I mean she will eat if i leave it out for a little bit and walk away and ignore her. But I prefer her eat when I put the food down and let her take it. I know it's probably her stubbornness and the withholding food until dinner if she doesn't eat right away worked for a little bit but then 2 months later I'm still coaxing her to eat 1/2 the time. Going to return the Wetlands and try Prairie (bison and venison) and see if she responds well to it. I mean I've seen her get all excited about food in the past (runs to me when she realizes i'm about to feed her) so i don't know if it's the food. I don't want to force her to eat something that doesn't taste any good to her but at the same time I don't want to give in to her stubbornness and have her dictate what she eats. I honestly probably won't give her raw or even home cooked food. Not only can I not guarantee she gets the nuitrition she needs from the food I'd be preparing but the cost is just not something we can do right now.

Trying to find a balance in quality food and cost. I don't think she likes chicken kibble much and for a lot of brands the non-chicken formulas cost about $5-10 more. Hoping the TOTW Prairie works out.
post #36 of 69 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 11:05 AM

We have a 4-5 year old female GSD – Bella (Isabella Shedmeister RubMyBelly French) whom we think has been altered (if that makes a difference). We adopted her about 6 weeks ago. The woman who found her (about 2 months prior) took her to the vet to make sure she was up-to-date on her shots and to give her a general checkup. The vet estimated her age at about 4-5 years old, said she was probably neutered and she tested "light" positive for heart worm, for which he prescribed a 6 month supply of Heartgard Plus.

When we first brought her home, she would not eat for almost 3 days. The woman we adopted her from had been feeding her Wellness Core Grain Free kibble so that's what we picked up, but she just would not eat. (Being naive, we also picked up some Iames but I quickly tossed it out after I did a little test and saw how much the kibble plumps up in water.) We finally got her to eat by boiling a chicken breast and rice and mixing it with her dry Wellness Core. Not knowing her feeding habits/schedule while she was growing up is really frustrating for my wife and I and I’m sure it is

We have since switched to 2 cups of the Wellness Core kibble and 1 can of Science Diet Adult Savory Stew with Beef & Veggies a day. I normally have to first hand feed her a meat chunk of the Science Diet before she'll eat, but lately that doesn't even help. Last week my wife picked up the Turkey flavor of the Science Diet by mistake and I thought we would have a challenge getting her to eat since she had been eating the Beef, but she went through 4 cans without issue – although, now that I think about it, she did start getting a picky on the fourth can. Now that she's back to the beef, after 3 or 4 cans, I've had trouble getting her to eat again. Normally the most it takes is waving the bowl of food under her nose and leading her over to her feeding area with it, but this morning we practically had to force a few bites of food into her mouth before she would actually eat. And, that was after not eating all day yesterday.

We are going to pick up a few cans of each flavor of the Science Diet and change flavors every other day.

(ETA) Something else I tried a couple nights ago was to add some Dogzilla Yum It Up Chicken flavor spread to her food and I didn't even have to hand feed the first bite to her. Before adding some to her food, I had tried waving the bowl under her nose, but anytime I put it under her nose she would just turn her head away. Then I remember how much she liked it when I added some Yum It Up to one of her chew toys, so I added it to her food. This time when I waved the bowl under her nose and then took it to her feeding area, she almost knocked me down getting to her bowl. My wife and I joked that the stuff must be crack for dogs.

Last edited by KennyFrench; 06-14-2012 at 11:13 AM.
post #37 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 07:53 AM
Knighted Member

I'm always outsmarting Kira when it comes to eating. She'll unexpectingly turn up her nose at the same bowl of food, she gobbled up the meal before.

As others have mentioned, it's a good idea to rotate some wet food as a topping.

HOWEVER, What I found is that a sprinkle of PARMEGIAN CHEESE will always get her attention!
I've watched her turn her nose away, for a half hour. Then I would sprinkle the cheese, wave it under her nose, and she would then lick her bowl dry.

Go figure.
post #38 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 04:50 AM

My GSD eats too little

Hi
My GSD (male) is 6 months old. We adopted him last month from another owner who told me that he had to keep the dog confined to his kennel as his residential compound has a no pet policy. He finally had to put the dog in a kennel for 2-3 weeks before we adopted him.

Since we brought him home. he has not been eating well and has had fever a couple of times. He still does not eat well and has developed protein deposits on his front legs.

We give him Royal Canine Maxi Junior.

Any suggestions would be very helpful.

Thanks
post #39 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 07:38 AM
Knighted Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Twyla
alpha2013 - Vetting your pup would be the first step. Fever usually indicates an infection of some sort is going on. That can throw them off their food.

As for his food, look for an all life stages food that doesn't have corn and/or wheat in it or you can choose raw.
post #40 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 02:10 PM

Help - my 2 1/2 yr old female GSD is the pickiest eater and it's worse after her heat. We are planning to breed her so that is why she remains in tact. About a month before her heat and then throughout her heat I can't get enough food in her. The week her heat stops she does her Ghandi impersonation. She is on Nature's Logic Chicken and Beef canned and NL chicken kibble (which she barely touches). Have tried boiling meat, shredding it and mixing it with her canned but she just picks out the meat. Am tempted to put her on an all meat cooked diet. Her brother and father are both picky eaters so not sure if this is simply genetics? When she gets back on an even keel she only eats about a can or can and a half a day. I feel I've tried everything - what do I do next?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page