Picky Eater - Help! - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 69 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 12:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs1984 View Post
fuzzybunny Drake is the same way he will refuse to the point of losing weight. sable123....he gets frequent hotspots and has greasy skin...he is itchy all the time...we have worked our way to this food and see an improvement the more he moves away from all grain sources.
Were you supplementing with any kind of oil or fatty food when the outbreak of oily skin happened?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 69 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 12:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacey_eight View Post
I am going through this EXACT thing with my 14 month old intact male. It makes me worry when he skips meals. He'll come to me and look at his food (TOTW HP), look at me guiltily then slink off into the living room. But by the next meal especially after exercise he'll eat again. I just bought the canned version of his food and plan to substitute half a can for half a cup of food.

I thought maybe the extreme heat was affecting his appetite. Is there a reason why intact males would suddenly change their eating habits?
My dog eats the same food and she skips meals. If it is hot, her appetite is down because her activity is down. Her weight has remained the same for the past year and it is a perfect weight for her so I'm not worried about skipped meals. She knows if she is hungry.
post #23 of 69 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

The skin issues started at 1 year and at the time he was getting salmon oil with his food...I have stopped the salmon oil and there was no difference. Also...the canidae had 4 meat sources, I tried all TOTW meat sources, Petcurean was Salmon, Natures Logic was Chicken and he is on chicken now...his poops have actually started to firm up with the Nature's Variety.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 69 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 08:05 AM Thread Starter

Well I mixed in wet food with his kibble and he loved it for about 3 days, now he turns his nose up and acts like he will vomit at the site of it....I don't know what to do...he's going to keep losing weight...its not that he's not hungry because he tries his best to counter cruise.
post #25 of 69 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 10:06 AM
Elite Member

The only thing that I have found that will consistently get Max, my picky eater, to eat his meals is to add one piece of raw chicken or turkey to his bowl with the kibble and canned dog food. I give him a chicken back, chicken drumstick, chicken thigh or 1/2 of a turkey neck and he will eat every meal.

Shannon

Sabra - female GSD - born April 30, 2012
Sargeant - rescued senior GSD male/foster failure - approximately ten years old (August 2013)
Max - rescued GSD - Dec 22, 2010 to March 7, 2012 - at the bridge
Sable - rescued GSD - at the bridge
post #26 of 69 (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 08:31 AM Thread Starter

Now he is completely refusing...he ate 3 bites and walked away and would not touch anymore...he doesn't act sick at all, but this can't continue...he was underweight to start with.
post #27 of 69 (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 08:39 AM
Knighted Member

Will he eat raw or home-cooked?

Jazz, Shiloh Shepherd, 5 yrs old, CGC HIC
Bunny, GSD X, 7.5 years old
post #28 of 69 (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 09:21 AM Thread Starter

Not tried a raw or home cooked diet yet
post #29 of 69 (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

Vet is telling me that I should switch him to Royal Canin because it is the only true hypoallergenic food...this is supposed to be a holistic vet too...
post #30 of 69 (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 01:04 PM
Elite Member

There are other manufacturers of veterinary prescription hypoallergenic diets such as the Hills Science Diet prescription and Purina Veterinary prescription lines. I am not certain that this is what your boy needs. He did eat when you added canned dog food for a few days. Please consider giving him something as simple as a raw hamburger patty, chicken breast, neck, drumstick, steak or something to see if he wants to eat. If he does not want to eat, you have an entirely different issue at hand.

I do know first hand how maddening this is because Max just went through this with his inflammatory bowel disease. He now eats every meal as long as I put something raw like a chicken neck, turkey neck, chicken back, drumstick, hamburger, chicken breast, etc. in the bowl with his kibble. He eats it all, so I know that he is interested in eating. It just took this type of enticement to get him to eat consistently.

It is frustrating to have to go through this, however, when they begin to eat consistently, it makes your efforts so rewarding and justified. I hope that this helps.

Shannon

Sabra - female GSD - born April 30, 2012
Sargeant - rescued senior GSD male/foster failure - approximately ten years old (August 2013)
Max - rescued GSD - Dec 22, 2010 to March 7, 2012 - at the bridge
Sable - rescued GSD - at the bridge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page