Vienna Sausage for treats? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 07:44 PM
Elite Member

yuck, double yuck, but I haven't eaten a meat hot dog in a decade. My dogs eat veggie dogs and liverwurst for treats lol Ooops! well they did until we stopped the fatty treats now it is just green beans.
My father did this medical study about hot dogs (pork) and the nitrites that are in them. If you bury a hot dog, you can find traces of it in the dirt 7 years later because of those nitrites. I assume those lil weenies are the same hahaha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 08:00 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krystyne73 View Post
yuck, double yuck, but I haven't eaten a meat hot dog in a decade. My dogs eat veggie dogs and liverwurst for treats lol Ooops! well they did until we stopped the fatty treats now it is just green beans.
My father did this medical study about hot dogs (pork) and the nitrites that are in them. If you bury a hot dog, you can find traces of it in the dirt 7 years later because of those nitrites. I assume those lil weenies are the same hahaha
I'm curious how they determined this. Did they actually bury a hot dog for seven years and then exume it? Or is it an educated guess based on something else? Inquiring minds want to know.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 08:30 PM
Crowned Member

Those type of treats don't hold up well in my pockets....I use them to worm my barn (feral) cats because they are squishy and mushy and I can force medication into them. I've never considered putting them in my pocket for training...ewwee

My dad loves them with mustard, I suppose if he ever gets to the age that I have to force medication on him, I can keep that in mind......

Hondo Von Dopplet L Bauernhof "Hondo"- GSD
Lilie's Tug McGraw "Tug" - Golden Retriever
Maggie - Mini Dachshund (Rescue)
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 08:31 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilie View Post
Those type of treats don't hold up well in my pockets....I use them to worm my barn (feral) cats because they are squishy and mushy and I can force medication into them. I've never considered putting them in my pocket for training...ewwee

My dad loves them with mustard, I suppose if he ever gets to the age that I have to force medication on him, I can keep that in mind......
LOL!

Renee'

Jake 2/12/10 CGC TDI
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

Training treats is what I meant. I've had them before, they aren't bad. 59 cents a can and I think there are 6 or 7 in it. LOL. Piper likes them, but she likes just about anything.
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 09:44 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilie View Post

Yeah, they're not very 'pocket friendly' for sure.
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 10:08 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazinKain View Post
I'm curious how they determined this. Did they actually bury a hot dog for seven years and then exume it? Or is it an educated guess based on something else? Inquiring minds want to know.
I am assuming they use a decomposition algorithm or something. I'll have to ask. I just know he did it in the 90's and I haven't touched one since.
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 10:13 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krystyne73 View Post
I am assuming they use a decomposition algorithm or something. I'll have to ask. I just know he did it in the 90's and I haven't touched one since.
Wow! that's crazy. but nitrites are sooooooooo good with mustard and cheese.
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazinKain View Post
Wow! that's crazy. but nitrites are sooooooooo good with mustard and cheese.

Chino & Shadow

At the bridge:

Cats:
Misty 2000-2013
Tiger ???? -2013
Echo 2013-2014
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 11:13 PM
Crowned Member

I haven't used them in much volume. I have a dog who loves them as one of her tracking rewards.

When I was a kid, my Mom gave me those as a snack after school. I loved them. One day at the store after I was grown, i picked up a can and read the ingedients. Mechanically separated chicken parts?!? What is that? Roadkill?!? This generated a call to my Mom.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page