Organic and holistic dog foods - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

Organic and holistic dog foods

HI, I am looking for some opinions on dog food. I fed my shepherd Innova for a year (also my fosters and my cat) and they had loose, mucousy stools frequently. When I switched them all to Eukanuba, their stools firmed up. I'd like to go back to a higher quality food, but am unsure of where to start. A lot of people are doing grain-free. What is the difference between holistic and organic food? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, Amy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 05:20 PM

Re: Organic and holistic dog foods

Aloha, I make my own formula for Rasa, consisting of

1: organic veggie Evolution brand
2: veggie Natural Balance (has more of the essential minerals than Evolution, but Evolution is very organic with no filler so I mix 2 parts Evolution to 1 part NB)
3: gravy of Vitamins/brewers yeast/olive oil/oatmeal or sweet potato/hot water
4: ground meat

The two kibble brands are almost anal with the "organic claims", but Evolution is a little too high protein, so i mix the Natures balance in.

Rasa has a very shiny coat, lots of energy and consistent stools.

frank
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 07:26 PM
Crowned Member

Not sure on the difference of holistic and organic so I can't help there.I feed Fromm Holistic Gold to my 2.There poops are good except for last month when Athena had a medical issue.I am sticking with it for a while longer as long as the place I buy it gets the right stuff for me.I think when I buy my next bag it will be around $44.00 for 33lbs.

Allie owned by:

Athena 5/4/08
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lexi 6/1/07 Puggle of some sort

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 10:06 PM
Elite Member

Organic foods have their organic ingredients certified by certain organizations. I'm not sure if they all use the same one, but I know Blue Buffalo's food (one that I've been checking into recently) is certified by the Oregon Tilth - http://www.tilth.org/
I'm not sure if there are any foods that claim to be organic but are not certified - but it's always possible so check the bag

I honestly don't put a lot of stock in dog foods being called holistic or natural. Now Science Diet, Eukanuba, etc have "natural" diets of their own which are still full of junk.
So you need to do your research to be sure that the food is as good as the ads want you to think If Innova didn't work there are lots of other good foods out there...Wellness, Solid Gold, Blue Buffalo, Natural Balance, I'm sure there are others but those are the ones that come to my mind first.

Djenga von Castra Regina RL2 BH HIC TT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

PAM ARCH SG Kessy vom Waldwinkel 2xHGH Schh1 OB2 RL1X RL3 RN TT AD

Madina vom Arolser Holz BH AD CGC
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 07:56 AM

We feed Rocky the Solid Gold Wolf Cub puppy dog food. He will eat it, but seems to really like the Science Diet brand better. But I like what the Solid Gold food is made up from better then the Science Diet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page