Thunders Hips :-( - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-17-2008, 11:32 PM Thread Starter

Thunders Hips :-(

Hi There!

Sadly it looks like Thunders Hips aren't just just "puppy hips" at 5 months, he is very low on his hocks. We are going to try Aqua Therapy, and making sure he isn't overweight and hardly excercise him and see if they improve. He comes from good stock (papers etc) and the breeder (who is the other end of the country from us) are saying there is no history of this. We don't let him climb stairs, hills, we are really careful with him.

Any other therapy we should be looking at?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-17-2008, 11:33 PM Thread Starter

Re: Thunders Hips :-(

Whoops wrong place for this could an administrator please move it?
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-17-2008, 11:42 PM
Crowned Member

Were his parents both OFA certified? Did you have his hips x-rayed? Swimming is excellent as are long walks. My young dog has hip dysplasia and I walk him 4-6 miles a day. Walking up hills are actually an excellent way to build up those muscles.

I would also put him on joint support. Different people like different products but I've had excellent results with this one: http://www.springtimeinc.com/product/121/2

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 12:03 AM Thread Starter

Yup parents were rated as 0.0 and 2.3 I think

I keep hearing people tell me to not take him up and down hills? Is it just down?
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 12:08 AM
Crowned Member

Being "low in the hocks" doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the hips. Isn't he from show lines? Show lines can tend to be "lower on the hocks" than working lines. Or did you have his hips xrayed?

Tracy

Siren vom Banach { Sable female GSD 3-20-08}

R.I.P. Wrangler male ACD/Aussie mix. 9-29-99 to8-29-11.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 12:09 AM
Crowned Member

Well you have to get back down the hill somehow! Seriously, I was told to swim my dog and to do hills with her. It made a HUGE difference in helping her muscles to develop. I think starting to walk him on flat surfaces (and grass is better than concrete) first and then working your way up to hills is a good idea.

And sorry, didn't check to see where you were. You probably have different supplements available there.

Rafi the malaroo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 12:40 AM
Elite Member

I would keep him very lean and supplement him with vitamin c (start at 500mg and build to 1000mg) vitamin e and a glucosimine and chondroiten supplement. Swimming or hydro therapy is a great way to build muscle mass without putting stress on the joints. It may just be that he has loose ligments which is causing his hocks to be so loose. I wouldn't do any "forced" exercises, but would let him do whatever he wants off leash, especially on surfaces that are not too hard or too deep. Could just be he is growing fast and that is causing some of the looseness as well.

You can also x-ray him now to see what the conformation of the joint is like, meaning how deep or shallow the socket is and how round and where the ball sits in the socket. I would expect he will show quite a bit of laxity, which is not a huge problem if the socket is deep and the ball gfits in it well. If he has shallow sockets you are more likely to have problems.
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 12:42 AM Thread Starter

Yah I am from NZ, I'll look into supplements, I am always a little dubious about these things, but I'll investigate. He gets 1-2 15 walks a day on flat grass/concrete (we try and keep him on the grass verge but dogs will be dogs). We once or twice a week take him to an off leash park where right now the grass is very soft (wet) but very very occasionally he ends up getting softly knocked over by boisterous doggies in the park, most of the time, he can't run to keep up fast enough and spends his time chasing.
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 12:54 AM
Crowned Member

You really want to limit the running and jumping. I know it's hard because he is a pup but I would keep that to a minimum.

As for the supplements--they can mean the difference between lots of pain and severely limited mobility and very little pain and good mobility. My first dog was diagnosed with HD 20 years ago. There weren't nearly as many options available for supplements and I had surgery done at 1 year and then again at 5 years. I wish I had had available then what I have available now.

My current dog, Rafi, is on supplements and NO ONE can tell that he has joint problems. When I adopted him it was obvious. That is because of the supplements. They are very, very important.

And you need to get Ester C and not just vitamin C and you want to work slowly up to 2000 mg per day.

The joint supplement should have glucosamine, chondroition AND MSM. I give double the recommended maintenance dose.

Rafi the malaroo

....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 02:04 AM
Moderator who has gone to the dogs

I am going to point a very knowlegable person from the South Island to this thread. I know she will have some links for suppliments for you.

He could just be going through a gangly stage where he is just growing out of proportion. I would try to find a place to let him play in water and swim. It would be better if there are joint issues than running. Hocks would not necessarily mean an issue with the hips. You can request xrays if you have questions about his hips. He would be too young to be rated but it would give you an "idea".

Just an FYI to the other posters on here: Show Lines in New Zealand would be comparable to German Highlines in body type (although most in NZ seem to not have as much of a roach). They are not comparable to the Am/Can type of Show Line.

Lakota, Chimo, Tika, Rayne, Kanuck, Jethro and Keyzah

My Angels forever in my heart and watching over us:
Phoenix 9/07
Kaylee Cheyenne 5/09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page