Growth seems to have halted? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

Growth seems to have halted?

Hi guys just want to share a few concerns about my 5.5mos old male pup...

He's around 52lbs now and looks really thin n lanky What am really concerned about is that his growth seems to have halted/slowed considerably since like a couple weeks He doesn't seem to have grown at all in fact he almost seems to be getting smaller by day 😞

Honestly am not worried about having a smaller dog as an adult but then again I've read posts that say growth rate will decrease considerably around 8mos ish mark and his has decreased so much alreadyy

He was growing real well before this (till couple weeks ago) weight was always in the upper limit of standard His coat n tail looked fluffy but now... 😞
He was given worm treatment and last vaccination done a few days ago so it can't be that...He doesn't look particularly ill but ive also noticed he's less active than usual and not that keen on food as before although he still eats well And also we have given all recommended supplements properly although I must add that we are trying to change his diet completely in a few days for a better one

Can some1 giv me an opinion on this...? (He will be taken to the Vet on Sat but in the meantime would like to hear sm advice)
Thx a lot 🙂
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 11:57 AM
Master Member

Is this the dog that eats frogs?
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 01:00 PM
Knighted Member

Definitely have him checked by the vet, but growth is not linear, it can and does vary. What is concerning is change in eating and activity. Be sure to tell the vet about the frogs!

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 04:19 PM

Of course you should consult a vet if you're worried... but this sounds totally typical puppy development (and as a former breeder I've seem a lot of puppies). The lanky, skinny build is typical for the age. No longer attacking his food as if another pup is going to come along and steal it, perfectly normal. Even his weight of 52 lbs is typical. My guess (and it's just a guess) is that he'll top out around 85 lbs at around 2 years of age.

Enjoy the journey.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

@Jchrest @tim_s_adams Yes he is the puppy eating 'frogs' (Is that his label now lol) 😅 But we have more or less controlled the behaviour to a great extent now Still working on it but he is no longer allowed to eat frogs.... Also I immediately contacted his breeder about it He did admit its unusual but not alarming (He is goin to contact a colleague about it for possible poisoning and effects) He also recommended a diet change like mentioned so that'll happen in a few days He'll be taken to the Vet on Sat for a overall checkup to see if he's ill but the growth decrease concerns me cause he looked quite 'full' and growing nicely before...Honestly I dont think it's the frogs cause I already inquired about it from both his current Vet and breeder but anyways am goin to a different Vet this Sat so have to see ehat he thinks 🙂
Sunsilver likes this.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRoberts View Post
Of course you should consult a vet if you're worried... but this sounds totally typical puppy development (and as a former breeder I've seem a lot of puppies). The lanky, skinny build is typical for the age. No longer attacking his food as if another pup is going to come along and steal it, perfectly normal. Even his weight of 52 lbs is typical. My guess (and it's just a guess) is that he'll top out around 85 lbs at around 2 years of age.

Enjoy the journey.[IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/Germanshepherds_2016/smilies/tango_face_smile.png[/IMG]
Thank U I sure hope that's the case and nothing else Am worried he might be sick with something so probably gonna take a few tests on Sat
85lbs sounds huge to me 😅 (not saying its giant by standard! just that since my previous girl topped at round 62lbs its a bigggg difference xD)
Is it typical for growth to halt at this age like this...?
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 06:22 PM

At that age, mine would grow tall and get skinny, and then stop and fill out. Then she would have a growth spurt, get taller, stop growing, fill out, etc.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 06:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom Billet View Post
At that age, mine would grow tall and get skinny, and then stop and fill out. Then she would have a growth spurt, get taller, stop growing, fill out, etc.
Yupp that was exactly how it was for him too but now its just... Stopped.... No growing taller or fuller
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 05:34 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

If he's really thin he may need more food than he's getting. I always feed to condition rather than a set number of cups per day. Getting chubby, cut back. Too skinny, increase a bit. Have you tried giving him slightly larger meals?
David Winners likes this.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassidy's Mom View Post
If he's really thin he may need more food than he's getting. I always feed to condition rather than a set number of cups per day. Getting chubby, cut back. Too skinny, increase a bit. Have you tried giving him slightly larger meals?
I don't think he's reallyyy thin but yes we are trying to increase the amount of meat he's getting but its incredibly hard to find a meat shop around here We've been searching for dayss 😣 Hopefully with some changes and advice from his new Vet he'll start growing again 🙂
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page