6 month old male 42 pounds - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation 6 month old male 42 pounds

throw away account here, I'm worried about my male GSD being too small. his height seems below average, too. He honestly looks like a 4 and a half month old pup. he just turned six months, and the last the vet weighed him was at actually 4 1/2 months, he was 30 something pounds then. is this normal? im very worried, and is there anything i can do to help him grow? i know genetics play a big role in this, yet i need some words to put me at ease.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 04:54 PM
LRP

Our 7 month old just barely hit 50 lbs. He is much slimmer/muscular compared to our female. It took a long time before he started looking like he was gaining weight. He was just growing longer and taller. It takes till the full first year to really see adult growth and really they keep developing well into there 2nd year. There is nothing wrong with having a slim GSD. Its good for there hips to develop with less weight on them.

Are you getting him fixed?
What food are you feeding?
How much are you feeding daily?
How much activity is he getting?

Last edited by LRP; 06-28-2019 at 04:57 PM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 07:35 PM

Like mentioned before my male didn’t start filling out till after the 1 year mark. He was very slim compared to his sister who has a more solid build and who is from the same litter. She’s just shorter.

Odin is now weighing in at 80 at just over a year and I swear he’s getting bigger everyday. He’s a monster haha. And he doesn’t realize he’s not his 45 pound puppy anymore and cannot fit in peoples laps.

Enjoy the little stage as long as it last!

GSD don’t stop growing and meet maturity until about 2 to 2 and half and yours is only 6 months. Give it time! Feed him high quality food but don’t over feed. On extra strenuous activity days I do feed a little extra to both my dogs.

He has time! He’s still a puppy. Trust me he will fill out and grow in such a short time you’re going to miss when he was little.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma Nein View Post
throw away account here, I'm worried about my male GSD being too small. his height seems below average, too. He honestly looks like a 4 and a half month old pup. he just turned six months, and the last the vet weighed him was at actually 4 1/2 months, he was 30 something pounds then. is this normal? im very worried, and is there anything i can do to help him grow? i know genetics play a big role in this, yet i need some words to put me at ease.
Too small for what? Does he need to get on the rides at Disneyland?

Sounds a little bit like my dog's floppy ear problem. At six months I was concerned. At two years he still had it and I could not care less.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page