Pup/dog growth after 12 months? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 5Likes
  • 2 Post By Cassidy's Mom
  • 2 Post By camperbc
  • 1 Post By Saco

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 05:33 PM Thread Starter

Pup/dog growth after 12 months?

My young dog is now about 14-15 months old and I noticed her butt is again higher than her front like it was when she was growing. She also hasn't had her heat cycle yet which is later than other females I've had, and is a young 14 months, as they say...

She's perfectly healthy and active otherwise, but has also been extra hungry recently. She is a bit on the smaller side- at about 22/23 inches at withers and 50-55 lbs (it's been a bit since I weighed her), but very great jumper and nicely built. Super drives, real nice dog but I don't like to put any pressure on them until they are fairly mature (head and body).

Just looking for anecdotes really but have other people noticed female grow in height after 12 months? My big boy was just 77 lbs at 1.5 years and filled out to 95 lbs (muscle/bulk not fat) by age 3...but he didn't actually grow taller, I don't think.

And just curious too if the head size seemed to get bigger at the same time during a growth spurt?

Weird questions maybe but I'm just curious. She's like a kid in a growth spurt- a bit awkward, and ravenous.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 09:58 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saco View Post
My young dog is now about 14-15 months old and I noticed her butt is again higher than her front like it was when she was growing. She also hasn't had her heat cycle yet which is later than other females I've had, and is a young 14 months, as they say...

She's perfectly healthy and active otherwise, but has also been extra hungry recently. She is a bit on the smaller side- at about 22/23 inches at withers and 50-55 lbs (it's been a bit since I weighed her), but very great jumper and nicely built. Super drives, real nice dog but I don't like to put any pressure on them until they are fairly mature (head and body).

Just looking for anecdotes really but have other people noticed female grow in height after 12 months? My big boy was just 77 lbs at 1.5 years and filled out to 95 lbs (muscle/bulk not fat) by age 3...but he didn't actually grow taller, I don't think.

And just curious too if the head size seemed to get bigger at the same time during a growth spurt?

Weird questions maybe but I'm just curious. She's like a kid in a growth spurt- a bit awkward, and ravenous.
I think they call it the "lanky adolescent" stage. Legs could be long and skinny-ish bodies and head size not appropriate to the rest of the dog, ear may be much bigger, etc...
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 10:11 PM
Crowned Member

IMPE, I have found my males to top out in height and weight at about 5 years of age. That seems to also be the same time that they really get those big old heads. Now that has just been my experience.

I wished I had saved the article? thread? where German showlines and surveys were being discussed as there seemed to be a consensus among many breeders that the same dogs now at five years of age would never pass a current survey due to now being oversized.

If you need equipment to maintain control of your dog, understand you’re hanging on to your dog’s body because you’ve lost his mind!

Suzanne Clothier
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

That's interesting. I generally thought my girls were done growing at 18 months or so but sometimes I look at my big boy and think, wow, that is a huge dog- huge head too! He is now 5 so likely topped out. Not the mammoth dogs you see from some lines, but at nearly 100 lbs certainly on the large side.

I hope her head gets a bit bigger- she's balanced now but I think she's still growing in body so am curious abut the skull/head. It does seem like in human boys, their heads get bigger somehow from age 18 to say 25 or so. Not sure if that is skull size- as in bones growing.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 12:28 PM
Crowned Member

While researching growth in dogs, I once came across an article that stated human skeletal growth does not fully stop until some time in the twenties. It sure makes a lot of sense to me.

I have usually owned males. I can't say for sure about females but I would guess similar but to a lesser degree. I have a female pup here now whose head is huge compared to her two brothers. I am real curious to see how that works when they are done growing.

If you need equipment to maintain control of your dog, understand you’re hanging on to your dog’s body because you’ve lost his mind!

Suzanne Clothier
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 10:45 AM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

I have not even tried to measure Cava, she's a wiggly girl! She'll be a year and a half on 7/6, and I've been doing monthly weigh ins since we got her at 4-1/2 months old. I missed May, but on 6/6 she was less than a pound more than she weighed at a year old. She's been between 58 and 59 pounds since December. I expect she'll put on a couple more pounds as she continues to mature and fill out, but she's probably close to her adult size already.
huntergreen and Saco like this.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 04:53 AM

If our Sheba is any indication, then yes, they can grow taller after 1 year. Sheba was already approaching a whopping 29 inches at 12 months, (YIKES!) and in the past few months she has gained another half inch in height. Her latest bout of Pano (she's had 12 flare-ups to date) was at 22 months, and let's hope that it will be the last time she gets it... because Sheba is more than big enough... she already looks like a giraffe with those LONG legs!

Glen
www.FocusOnNewfoundland.com

Muskeg and elf5 like this.

OUR DOGS:
purebred GSD - Sheba
purebred Shih Tzu - Chrissy
mixed Maltese/Scottish Terrier - Bubba
purebred GSD - Chrissy
purebred Toy Poodle - Freeway
purebred Toy Poodle - Benji
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

I got a chance to weigh her yesterday, and she is now at 57 lbs or so... last weigh in she was 52 if I remember correctly. She's lean and healthy so I think she is still growing, which confirms what I was seeing. Some dogs are slower to mature mentally and physically which is OK with me as long as they do get there. She's got great drives and work ethic, but I'm going to hold off putting much pressure on her until I see more maturity- physically and mentally.
MineAreWorkingline likes this.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 11:45 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to Tzhamil_tn74
Please don't relay on Standard charts. Each puppy is different. My Male is 6 months old reached 65 cm but weight is as per standard guide 52 lbs. Its better to keep our Pets lean(not skinny) during puppy period.let them fill out once their Bone structure developed completely.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page