Puppy has a short fuse - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 3Likes
  • 3 Post By Shane'sDad

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

Puppy has a short fuse

Ragnar is 6 months old and gets along with my other dogs very well.
When there is a disagreement, usually over a toy, etc. they settle it within seconds and everyone goes on with their day. However, occasionally Ragnar will perhaps get hurt, I am not really sure what sets him off, but he will suddenly "snap". He instantly goes full out after the other dog and will not listen. I don't think he even hears me.
Not sure how to break this up safely or if anyone had suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 12:02 PM

This is assuming that you are supervising when there are toys or food involved,but you can tell by their stiffening body,tail,ear set when a dispute begins to get serious.The tone of their growl changes also.That's when a loud "Hey!" or noise of your choice should be able to interrupt them before it starts.Call whichever dog is causing the problem"Good Boy!" and separate him from the others for a while.It doesn't have to become a big deal.My three get ticked off at one of their packmates from time to time.The redirection and praise is more rewarding than pursuing the grievance and all is forgiven in a few seconds.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 12:12 PM
Master Member

Please read this current thread....https://www.germanshepherds.com/foru...-new-post.html

Two sure ways to start a dog fight....is having a group of dogs around food or toys....don't let your dogs as a group play with toys.....you're asking for something that won't end well....most dogs give "signs" when something bad is brewing....Ragnar is doing just that..it's up to you to step in now...the thread I linked to....is what can happen if you let it continue...he's at the age that testosterone is starting to be a player...so he won't grow out of it....when you're unsure of how to handle things like this it's good to contact a trainer and put another pair of eyes on a problem....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 09:08 PM
Crowned Member

Putting toys away and feeding separately will avoid fights. Play is always supervised so it does not get passed a certain point as it can get and they can get carried away. If max and Luna play and she gets real pissed off I know max must of squeezed her bones a bit to tight - there is always a reason. “Enough” puts a quick end to things quick since it was practiced often before things got overheated.

My chihuahua had rescource guarded his toys with max when a pup. A new behavior - and he was bent on teaching it to max our new pup. Our chihuahua would get his toy out of the toy box and put his favorite toy (Xmas tree toy) in the middle of the room and baited max. He even went so far as pooping near his toy and he does not poop in the house. The minute Max would walk towards the bait- toy-Topper would charge out of his crate like a mini Kujo. max did love this game. I had to put all of our chihuahuas toys away to truly end that behavior. It was when I did this the chaos stopped regardless of the whys and Topper finally started to relax and adapt to the new addition to the family.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Jenny720; 04-09-2019 at 09:16 PM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 01:04 AM
Crowned Member

Actually no toys will also save teeth. I have seen the difference in litter mates. One has access to toys all the time and has worn teeth and the other no access to toys besides interaction with owner. That dog has nice clean and much sharper teeth. If their permanent teeth are fully grown in they don't need 'pacifiers' all day long. Good exercise, games and training will help.

Last edited by wolfy dog; 04-10-2019 at 01:06 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page