Testicles haven't dropped - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 08:16 AM Thread Starter

Yes it is a baby tooth. The vet we went to said we should extract it so we are going to do that. She said that it can effect the way the adult tooth comes in if it gets infected. The thing that sucks tho is we have to wait until the end of March, that was the earliest date they had for the surgery. The vet also said the rest of the tooth can fall out on its own before then. I'm hoping that happens.

He doesn't seem to be in any pain. He can eat and drink fine and plays normally.
selzer likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 09:14 AM
Crowned Member

1. Tooth - The baby tooth will likely pop out on it's own when the adult canine pushes it....I would only do surgery if the adult tooth wedges it in....I had a pup whose baby canine split from tip to top at about 15 weeks, and with some rag work, it was just loose enough to pop out...pup never noticed it, helper was careful not to pull hard on rag...

Also had a dog whose canine did not dislodge the puppy tooth and owner never mentioned until until the pup was nearly 8 months old.......large drama.....bite was skewed, canine displaced and dog ended with with SAR handler who had work done on it at Cornell.

2. Testicles - had one pup in N who had one at 8 weeks, apparently many pups from male would drop 2nd one later - and that happened.....friend who raised showlines sold best pup in a litter to a pet home I referred to him because only 1 down at 4 months....the people checked in with him at a year, and the 2nd had come down at 8-9 months....so it can happen....not as likely, but yes, it can.......

Lee
Sabis mom likes this.

Hexe Sch2, Komet & Kougar IPO1, Kira HGH, SG Bengal, Lynx v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia IPO1 ~ ATB Basha, Kougar & Kyra, Fenja, Sch3s, Cito, Sch2, DangerRH, Csabre & Alice Sch1s ~Kelsey
wolfstraum.net

Last edited by wolfstraum; 02-23-2019 at 09:17 AM.
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 10:05 PM

I am going through getting a pup now with the same issue. The pup is just shy of 7 weeks and only 1 testicle, my question is would you guys get the pup still knowing this? or wait on a different litter?

I had a pup last year with hd/ed that we gave back to the breeder, so I am cautious with help concerns.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 02:31 PM
Crowned Member

one thing I've noticed is that some vets are too aggressive on checking for testicles. They aren't rough but they push a lot and can actually make the problem worse. I've also asked a couple vet techs if they would warm up their hands before doing the check lol
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 04:25 PM

I think one thing that is going to be highly important is the location of the testicle. A teste that hasn't completely descended into the Scrotum isn't the same as a teste that hasn't passed through the inguinal ring. Personally just from what I know of in physiology I'd select away from dogs that are taking so long to descend. Because chances are the inguinal ring is taking longer to close and that just doesn't sound good to me. If they're just having trouble descending into the Scrotum or happened to have the bad luck to be in the abdomen when the inguinal ring closed that's a bit diffferent.

For the OP the testes may descend but it depends on a few factors that you can't see.
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 07:20 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3tro23 View Post
I am going through getting a pup now with the same issue. The pup is just shy of 7 weeks and only 1 testicle, my question is would you guys get the pup still knowing this? or wait on a different litter?
If you are looking for a show or sport prospect with breeding in mind, I would say pass on that puppy. But if you're just looking for a companion dog, you may not find it that big of a deal. When you have the dog neutered (or the retained testicle removed) the surgery will be a littler more pricey than a regular neutering (more like a spay for a female). Levi's cost around $300/$350 something like that. If the breeder is reputable, and the sire/dam are good representatives of the breed with health clearances and titles (or some other form of breed worthiness), then I would go ahead and get the pup. Of course, that's just me, others may disagree.

Last edited by sebrench; 02-26-2019 at 07:23 PM.
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebrench View Post
If you are looking for a show or sport prospect with breeding in mind, I would say pass on that puppy. But if you're just looking for a companion dog, you may not find it that big of a deal. When you have the dog neutered (or the retained testicle removed) the surgery will be a littler more pricey than a regular neutering (more like a spay for a female). Levi's cost around $300/$350 something like that. If the breeder is reputable, and the sire/dam are good representatives of the breed with health clearances and titles (or some other form of breed worthiness), then I would go ahead and get the pup. Of course, that's just me, others may disagree.
Thank you @sebrench for the reply. I am looking to work the dog and be a companion as well, but no intention to show or compete. It may be a possibility to compete, but i do not have plans to breed the dog. This is a reputable breeder and I just want to make sure it's the right decision without having to worry about a health issue in the long run.

Has anyone heard of complications from dogs born with this issues? or usually the dog is okay and lives a healthy life without any set backs?

Last edited by r3tro23; 02-26-2019 at 10:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page