Testicles haven't dropped - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 08:24 AM
Elite Member

Such a cute puppy!

Over the years, I've had two males that have had an undescended testicle. I had Levi neutered at around 2.5 years. He had no complications prior to or after the surgery. It was done laproscopically (by laser), and the healing process seemed easier than the traditional surgery on my previous dog. The way I understand, it's important to remove the retained testicle due to testicular cancer risk. My vet did not seem to have any problem with waiting until my dog was older before neutering, though I suppose there is a risk of testicular torsion. We did not experience any complications. If you don't want to neuter, you can find a vet who will remove only the retained testicle, but it is recommended that you not breed your dog because the condition can be passed down genetically. Good luck with your cute puppy. Hope you're having lots of fun with him.
wolfstraum likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

Thank you everyone for all your insight. Both of his testicles are retained at the moment. I called my breeder and he said it usually takes up to 7 months for them to come down, hope hes right. I am glad to know some of you still waited to neuter. My vet did say he wouldn't wait more than a year but I am praying they come down. We are going to do an ultrasound next month when he gets his boosters and rabies if nothing has changed to see exactly where they are.
Shane'sDad likes this.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 12:32 PM
Master Member

I wonder if 7 months is genetics.in certain lines.. think I heard 4-6 months...years ago talking to a show line breeder.time frame wise......the ultra sound will hopefully tell the tale...keep us posted
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 12:35 PM

Anecdotes aside, it's very unlikely they will drop, especially if the vet can't feel anything at all. You can wait to neuter until 1-2 years old, but I wouldn't wait much longer than that due to the risk of testicular torsion, which is painful and deadly (expensive, too).

I'm surprised the breeder said 7 months. My male had one retained testicle and I read all the anecdotes saying how this and that dog's testicle dropped at 5 months- but at this point this scenarios is unlikely. My boy's testicle never dropped, and the vet found it deep in the abdomen- it wasn't ever going to drop.

All my 8 week old male pups had both testicles dropped, if they were going to drop at all, and this is typical.

I wouldn't personally bother to ultrasound unless it was prior to surgery to save on time "digging" for the organ. Otherwise, it's likely to cost a bundle and only confirm what the vet said.
cliffson1 likes this.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 06:07 PM
Master Member

The vet thought my puppy had one retained testicle at 3 months old, but he could feel it. He said if I had Dexter neutered, he wouldn’t have to dig to find it so it would be an easy surgery. The retained testicle ended up dropping at 4 months. But, again, my vet could feel it at 3 months old.
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 02:47 AM
Crowned Member

I've heard four months is the cut-off. But I've also heard of dogs having them descend later. Right now, here, it is cold. Testicles go up when it is cold. Got to keep the sperm warm. I wonder whether pups raised from 1 month to 4-5 months in the winter, are more likely to have testicle dropping issues. I know he live inside, but that means, that relatively, it is even colder when the go out to potty than the dog that spends a lot of time outdoors. I think that is a wash.

Of course if you are in Floriday or Texas or somewhere where a dusting of snow once or twice in the course of winter is pleasant than that might not play into it at all.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 06:49 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saco View Post
Anecdotes aside, it's very unlikely they will drop, especially if the vet can't feel anything at all. You can wait to neuter until 1-2 years old, but I wouldn't wait much longer than that due to the risk of testicular torsion, which is painful and deadly (expensive, too).

I'm surprised the breeder said 7 months. My male had one retained testicle and I read all the anecdotes saying how this and that dog's testicle dropped at 5 months- but at this point this scenarios is unlikely. My boy's testicle never dropped, and the vet found it deep in the abdomen- it wasn't ever going to drop.

All my 8 week old male pups had both testicles dropped, if they were going to drop at all, and this is typical.

I wouldn't personally bother to ultrasound unless it was prior to surgery to save on time "digging" for the organ. Otherwise, it's likely to cost a bundle and only confirm what the vet said.
Exactly!
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 12:17 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

While I have had testicles drop late (like 4 months) on a couple of males, I figure if they are not down by 8 weeks they are not coming down especially if the vet can not feel them at all.

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

Well if they don't come down it's good to know I can wait at least a year or 2. On top of all this he just broke his top canine tooth last night. We have an appointment this evening to get it checked out. Ugh.. This poor pup. Here is a pic of it...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190222_102857_1550864899580.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	518483  
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 12:58 AM
Crowned Member

Is it a baby tooth?

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page