Puppy socialization suggestions? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 02:27 PM
Master Member

Even though the term socialization is used, it doesn't always have to refer to exposing the dog to social interactions. There are things you can do at home that expose the dogs to potential environmental challenges/stressors to evaluate and build a pup's confidence. You have to be creative. I know one breeder who feeds his very young pups next to and then on a riding mower with the engine on, but the blade not turning. You can make climbing obstacles out of wooden pallets, old boards, tires, etc. Some people "socialize" their pups by taking them around other people and animals, but not letting them interact, but rather, engage with the handler with other living creatures around. Like someone pointed out, every pup is different. Some that are reticent might need more people interaction and those that are genetically very open and social might be better off being challenged with environmental obstacles to build confidence.Here is a link to my pup being exposed to some new environmental situations before he was shipped to me. He is the first/black pup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 03:19 PM

Honestly the biggest thing I wish I did way more and didn’t slack on was just taking them with me while I run normal day to day errands.

Not always having to have to take them somewhere “fun” for them. But just to get them used to being more apart of my life outside normal stuff we do with our dogs. Like hike, park time, and going on my daily walks with me.

Like when buying their food, taking them with.

When we go out to eat to take them with us if they have outside patio area (8/10 times where I love you can bring you dog).

If it’s not too hot to take them when we run quick errands and take turns staying in the car with them.

We’ve started doing this more now, and they’re good in public. But I feel like we could do even more things with them if we would have exposed to being around people and busy environments sooner.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page