Underweight Puppy - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 06:45 AM

Keep an eye out for worm recurrence in the poo
I have seen pups that were way underweight blooming into healthy dogs - all it takes is a few months of careful feeding

Keep an eye on the speed of food intake, underweight pups can tend to get overzealous while eating and get an upset tummy/runny poo bringing you back to square one
I would say that for the next few weeks, give a grade A kibble (would recommend Farmina N&D - regular, not grain free)
Make sure you have soaked with warm water for at least 10 mins
Also, split up his food in 5 maybe even 6 servings a day for the next few weeks

I would also suggest adding boiled eggs as a rotational meal once a day or so

Keep him away from dairy (i presume you already are) but once he has settled into a groove (and the poo is all firmed up -
Try using a tiny bit of cream/high fat milk as a trial top-up ... keep an eye for any GI issues for another day or so ; if you are lucky enough to have a lactose tolerant dog, you can use cream/milk as a top-up for the next few months

I know the bit above may be controversial but I have seen it work wonders for their appetite!
Jax08 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

Thank you so much for all your advice! Just a little update at his 7 week check up (my vet is checking on him daily and wants to see him once a week) he was 4.8lbs so he’s getting there and he is almost a completely different puppy. He’s so playful and happy! We have him on Royal Canin GI can food until his tummy gets better. They did another round of deworming and he passed some more and then I found tapeworms. I knew when I got him he had flea dirt but I couldn’t find a flea to save my life. I finally found one by his ears so we got him medicine for tapeworms. I think the passing of all the worms has messed his stomach up and his bottom seems to hurt when he poops. The vet recommended diaper cream.
Jax08 likes this.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 08:59 PM
Crowned Member

My older dog was a rescue found abandoned at 7 weeks, severely underweight. She was fostered for two months and put up for adoption when her weight increased. We took her home at 4 months. By then she was eating normally and her weight increased at a steady rate. As a puppy, she was extremely active. She has always been small but she overcame her early low weight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 09:00 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren Burdge Thomas View Post
Hello All,
I am new to posting in this forum but Iím hoping someone else has some success stories. I recently rescued a precious little German Shepherd pup. He was full blooded AKC registered but his mom just abandoned the litter and has had nothing to do with the puppies since they were 3 weeks old. He was 2lbs 5oz at 6 weeks. I took him straight to the vet and he had roundworms and bacteria enteritis. Weíve got him on medicine and he was dewormed again. He was also dehydrated. Weíve got this precious boy moving in the right direction thank God. Iím just curious if anyone else has had a situation with a low weight puppy that turned out okay.
Shadow weighed less then a can of pop at 3 weeks old. And yup, loaded with worms and a bacterial skin infection, tips of ears and tongue damaged, couple of mangled toes, bruising everywhere, dehydrated, malnourished and unresponsive when found. No one expected her to survive the night.
Happy to report that at 8 years old she is a happy, spoiled, witch. Really small, really frequent meals. I mixed puppy formula in with her meals until she was around 9 weeks? I think. Just for the extra boost she needed.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 09:06 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren Burdge Thomas View Post
Sure will! I asked the Vet and he said no he wasnít a dwarf but that he was taken off the mother way to early. According to the breeder she had been feeding scrambled eggs and goats milk which the Vet said okay thatís fine but he wasnít getting any nutrients he needs. Iíll go grab my folder and send you the pedigree.
Can you PM me the breeder? Or the pedigree?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page