Crooked Nose? Possibly Wry Mouth - Need Advice! - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

Crooked Nose? Possibly Wry Mouth - Need Advice!

Hi guys, I'm writing this as a worried father because in the last few weeks I've noticed that Nova's nose (the actual fleshy black part) isn't exactly at the tip or end of her snout. Her nose isn't centred directly above her incisors, but instead most of it is on the right side of the end of her muzzle. It's not very noticeable but it is easiest to see when we're walking and I'm standing over her, her nose seems to curve to the right although her snout seems straight.

I've tried researching what this may be and I haven't found much, can't really find any similar stories or cases of concerned owners. If I'm not mistaken, wry mouth is when one half of the jaw is longer or shorter than the other, causing the snout to twist and form an uneven or uncloseable mouth. Her mouth appears to be able to close perfectly, she can breathe, eat, and has NO trouble chewing on me!

Another possibility is because she's is almost 5 months old and currently teething, that this is what has caused the misaligned nose. She has lost about 3 teeth. Could the growths spurts and changes her body is going through make one side of her upper jaw grow faster than the other side? Could this cause her nose to not be centred on her muzzle? if this is the case, her body should correct itself and the snout/nose should even out with time, right?

Of course I understand that not everything in life is perfectly straight and symmetrical, if Nova is just a dog who has a crooked nose and that's who she is and always will that's fine! I just want to be to make sure this isn't a problem that'll one day affect her ability to bite, eat, smell, chew etc. She just finished all her puppy vaccinations a few weeks ago so she isn't due at the vet for a while, but if this is something a vet needs to check out than I will definitely bring her in.

Is this something I should bring up to the breeder? If it is wry mouth, the dame and sire should never have been bred because it is passed on genetically. Nova comes from a reputable breeder, so it would be shocking to find out that they knew of this condition in their lines yet still chose to breed the dogs.

I've added a few photos to try and show you what I'm talking about, but it is hard to see in the pictures. Thank you for taking the time to read this whole thing, and thanks in advance for any replies I get, Nova is the most important thing to me and her well being is my top priority.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	49070752_2178012632465339_583036699420917760_n.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	516143  
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 04:15 PM
Crowned Member

Did you take her to a vet?
GypsyGhost likes this.

post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

I haven't yet, I thought I'd get some opinions from people on this forum before bringing her in. She isn't due at the vet anytime soon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 04:43 PM
Crowned Member

IMO, she looks like she has a bulge on the side of her nose which looks to be pushing it over. I would get her in to see a vet.
GypsyGhost likes this.

If you need equipment to maintain control of your dog, understand you’re hanging on to your dog’s body because you’ve lost his mind!

Suzanne Clothier
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 04:54 PM
Crowned Member

It could be a lot of things causing it. You should take her to a vet.
Thecowboysgirl and GypsyGhost like this.

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

What kinds of things could it be?
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 05:23 PM
The Friendly Neighborhood Witch Mod

Could be an infection/abscess, just off the top of my head. She really needs to see a vet. No one on a forum can tell you with 100% certainty what the cause is.
Jax08 and MineAreWorkingline like this.

Train the dog in front of you.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply, going to make an appointment with our vet in the morning.
Jax08 likes this.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 05:48 PM
Elite Member

Let us know what you find out. (Cute puppy, by the way)!
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 05:53 PM

Hi, she is beautiful. It almost looks like she was bitten by something, but a few weeks is a little long for a reaction to stick around, My girl got stung multiple times by a wasp while trying to eat it and the whole top of her nose was swollen like this but it went away in a few days with no issue. Take her in, better safe than sorry, hope they figure it out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page