9wk old - leave at home tomorrow? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By Momto2GSDs
  • 2 Post By MaxStartedItAll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 09:46 AM Thread Starter

9wk old - leave at home tomorrow?

Hi folks,
Our pup is 9 wks old and we have only had him for about 5 days. He went with us to our daughters soccer game last night and did great ,,, loved chasing a soccer ball around. As we take our kids out trick-or-treating, would it be a better idea to leave him at home this time around given the short duration he has been with us and young age. Or, do you think it would be a good opportunity?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 11:03 AM
Crowned Member

I personally would not.

Kids in masks????

One unruly kid with a mask on, possibly running towards my pup, scaring him? NOPE!!! Could have a life long effect if pup is going thru a fear period.

Just remember,,,,, this little guy was just swept up by "STRANGER'S" 5 days ago!
And taken into a situation he has never dealt with, in his few weeks of life.....new voices, new area, new sounds, new house, new yard, new dogs, and even more strangers! It would be like you being dropped off in the middle of a foreign speaking country all by yourself when you were a child!

The "2 Week Shut Down" theory is controversial with some, but, I think you will get some good pointer's from the articles below.

Quote:
"Things NOT to do:
Here is an example
"I introduced her to 15 people"
" he was a bit leery but seems to like my other 3 dogs"
"she went everywhere with me "
All in the first few days of the new home..... (!!!)

Two weeks later we read
I think we will have to re-home the new dog" Unquote

Decompression ? The Two Week Shutdown | Looking Glass Animal Rescue

The Two-Week Shut Down | Pibbles & More Animal Rescue

Moms
GypsyGhost and ausdland like this.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 02:45 PM

as cute as you may think it would be, keep the pup at home and away from the door. There are plenty of opportunities to go out and about. At this age, new things should be interesting and fun and somewhat calm, not dark and noisy and chaotic.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-01-2018, 07:26 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input - at home he stayed!
Stevenzachsmom and Felafufu like this.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-01-2018, 02:41 PM

and now that the trick or treating is over, it might be nice to see the adventures you let your pup observe. Let him see the trash truck and the kids on the play ground and airplanes over head. Just do it in a calm somewhat controlled manner. This can be great fun for the both or you. Be careful not to over tire yourselves, though.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page