Pup out on Halloween? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

Pup out on Halloween?

Hello! I would ask my trainer this question but, she is out of the country until November 2nd and told us she would not be able to respond to any of our emails until then. She said that we should bring our puppies out during Halloween night for socialization. So he is around people in costumes and so we know that he will be comfortable in yet another situation. He just turned 6 months old but he is a big boy at 62 pounds. I just want to make sure it's a safe situation for him and any kids/ adults who may be scared of dogs. I also don't want Obi overwhelmed. I think starting when there is still some light out when the overachievers come out and coming home when kids are starting to storm the neighborhood. Maybe even on the porch with us handing out candy afterwards. I wish she would have given some ideas but, I understand there is a lot going on in a puppy class, and I didn't think of the question until now haha. Thanks for any help. Also when he is inside he will be in a gated off area away from the front door. So no worries about him getting out during the trick or treating, I will still have him prepared anyways. If you have any input, or if you have done this with your pup before I would appreciate any thoughts. Thanks anyone!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Obi 6 months.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	221.8 KB
ID:	513449  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 10:52 PM
Mei
Master Member

How long have you had him? At six months, unless you just got him, you should already have an idea how he would act around kids and adults. I plan on taking my 9 month old out trick or treating because she's pretty well known in the neighborhood as a good dog. A neighbor down the road on where we walk had these giant blow up decorations in the yard. I took her to that yard to see how'd he would react. Maybe you can try something like that and see how she reacts. Another option is to take him to home depot or Lowes to the Halloween stuff and see how he reacts?

Dress him up!
kaydub_u likes this.

Mei - DOB 1/15/2018
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 11:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mei View Post
How long have you had him? At six months, unless you just got him, you should already have an idea how he would act around kids and adults. I plan on taking my 9 month old out trick or treating because she's pretty well known in the neighborhood as a good dog. A neighbor down the road on where we walk had these giant blow up decorations in the yard. I took her to that yard to see how'd she react. Maybe you can try something like that and see how she reacts. Another option is to take him to home depot or Lowes to the Halloween stuff and see how he reacts?

We have had him since June 8th. He is a great dog! I love the idea though!! I'll take him to Lowes on Sunday! I hadn't thought too much about crazy noises and decorations. About a month ago the trainer had a couple people dress up in costumes to see how the dogs would act and he didn't mind. It'll just be different when there are multiple people wearing masks etc. I think I was just more worried about being considerate for the other people. He is great with people. I think he will be okay. Maybe I just needed to be reassured haha.

I thought about dressing him up as a Jedi since his name is Obi. But, I don't think he will be one for costumes. I'll try out one though, maybe we stop at the pet store after Lowes. I did want to at least get him a Halloween bandana if the costume doesn't work out. He has never worn anything before except his collar and harness.

Last edited by kaydub_u; 10-25-2018 at 11:07 PM. Reason: Didn't see the dress up part.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 10:42 AM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

I think it's a great idea but just really be aware of him and what's going on . He's still young so may be good for an hour or so, but then start getting fried and you may want to head home earlier than you may have planned. Get your cues from him and many of our dogs love dressing up and it makes people less leery and weird acting around a GSD.
car2ner and kaydub_u like this.

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieRoseLee View Post
I think it's a great idea but just really be aware of him and what's going on . He's still young so may be good for an hour or so, but then start getting fried and you may want to head home earlier than you may have planned. Get your cues from him and many of our dogs love dressing up and it makes people less leery and weird acting around a GSD.

Yeah I was thinking an hour at most too. Walking around for like 20 minutes when everyone starts coming out and then head home and maybe hang out on the porch for a little. I'll see what he thinks of a costume on Sunday. I plan on bringing him to Lowe's like Mei suggested and then from there going to Petsmart, I saw they still had plenty of costumes when I went there the other day. Hopefully he doesn't mind it, cause you do have a point, he will look much more approachable. I trust Obi to let me know how he feels, he has no problem showing me exactly what he wants any other time haha.

Thank you!
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 08:32 PM
Elite Member

Alot of how you handle things will reflect in the dog.. If you act like he should be afraid or cautious, he might feed off that. Some dogs are super self confident and can push through their handler's spilled emotions.. And then their very sensitive dogs that feed off of every emotion telegraphed down the line to them.. If your dog has been mostly stable up to this point, go into it with confidence, aware of his needs, but not worried or overprotective...
kaydub_u likes this.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 08:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hineni7 View Post
Alot of how you handle things will reflect in the dog.. If you act like he should be afraid or cautious, he might feed off that. Some dogs are super self confident and can push through their handler's spilled emotions.. And then their very sensitive dogs that feed off of every emotion telegraphed down the line to them.. If your dog has been mostly stable up to this point, go into it with confidence, aware of his needs, but not worried or overprotective...
Thank you. Our trainer always says to encourage his curiosity. I'll bring my treat pouch too for some extra encouragement when he is doing well. I like your outlook though, we will just enjoy our walk
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 09:00 PM
Crowned Member

If you have your own children that you need to take out, my idea won't work for you. But - my kids are grown and I am home giving out candy. My dogs LOVE kids coming to the door to get candy. Sometimes we sit on the porch. Dogs are leashed, of course. If we come inside, the dogs 'must' stick their heads out the door to say, "Hello". I don't think the dogs are at all bothered by the costumes. They still smell like kids. lol!
kaydub_u likes this.

Jan
Shelby 9-2-14
Natty Boh 6-27-12
Annie 1998 - 8-2-12 RIP
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevenzachsmom View Post
If you have your own children that you need to take out, my idea won't work for you. But - my kids are grown and I am home giving out candy. My dogs LOVE kids coming to the door to get candy. Sometimes we sit on the porch. Dogs are leashed, of course. If we come inside, the dogs 'must' stick their heads out the door to say, "Hello". I don't think the dogs are at all bothered by the costumes. They still smell like kids. lol!
I think I will do that too. Start out with a walk to get some energy out and then let him relax on the porch on leash. The way my house is we have gates blocking off Obi's area from the rest of the house. He roams around our den and kitchen. This is the opposite side of the house from the front door. Not sure if he will be sticking his nose out this year, but I had a German Shepherd mix who always did that! It was the cutest thing! Thanks for the memory! I think this will be a fun experience with my pup
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 10:05 PM
Knighted Member

The only problem I see with this, provided your dog is okay with greeting small, costumed strangers on your porch, is that some kids are petrified of dogs in general, let alone a big GSD! While it might be good for the puppy, it might be very scary for some kids! So err on the side of caution would be my - unsolicited - advice! Halloween is for the kids, not for dog training or exposure.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page