Pepper has her Bat Wings!!
Stevenzachsmom likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 11:53 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim_s_adams View Post
The only problem I see with this, provided your dog is okay with greeting small, costumed strangers on your porch, is that some kids are petrified of dogs in general, let alone a big GSD! While it might be good for the puppy, it might be very scary for some kids! So err on the side of caution would be my - unsolicited - advice! Halloween is for the kids, not for dog training or exposure.
Well heck, Tim. What fun is it, if you can't scare little kids on Halloween? HAHAHA!!! Just kidding. Honestly, I really haven't had a problem with kids being afraid of the dogs. The UPS guy, yeah, but not the kids.
tim_s_adams and kaydub_u like this.

Jan
Shelby 9-2-14
Natty Boh 6-27-12
Annie 1998 - 8-2-12 RIP
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevenzachsmom View Post
Well heck, Tim. What fun is it, if you can't scare little kids on Halloween? HAHAHA!!! Just kidding. Honestly, I really haven't had a problem with kids being afraid of the dogs. The UPS guy, yeah, but not the kids.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim_s_adams View Post
The only problem I see with this, provided your dog is okay with greeting small, costumed strangers on your porch, is that some kids are petrified of dogs in general, let alone a big GSD! While it might be good for the puppy, it might be very scary for some kids! So err on the side of caution would be my - unsolicited - advice! Halloween is for the kids, not for dog training or exposure.
LOL, can't be worse than the neighbors with "chainsaws" or pretended to be fake and jumping out when the kid grabs candy, etc. Just joking, my biggest concern was people being scared. When I get off of work tonight I'll stop by Petsmart and see if they have any costumes that can go on his back or something so he doesn't have to really wear it. I'm not going to have him out too, too long. Also my sister and her family will be over to so we are going to have multiple candy giver outers lol on our porch. I'll be at the end with Obi. We have a long porch so kids won't be coming up and seeing a dog out of nowhere. I also carved a pumpkin last night of a wolf as a warning haha. Couldn't find a stencil for a German Shepherd so went with what I had! If I feel the need Obi can just go hang out inside, but hopefully that isn't needed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 04:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckola View Post

Pepper has her Bat Wings!!

I love them! If I find something tonight I'll post a picture 🙂 I'm hoping for something like that so it isn't too much!
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

Obi did really good, I went for a basic costume and just tied it around his harness couldn't decide if he was a Hellhound or just a Handsome Little Devil?!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	halloween obi.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	158.1 KB
ID:	513761  
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-01-2018, 12:04 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaydub_u View Post
Obi did really good, I went for a basic costume and just tied it around his harness couldn't decide if he was a Hellhound or just a Handsome Little Devil?!
I knew Obi would do great.

My dogs had a blast. They didn't grow up with young children, but they adore them. They barked like crazy, every time kids came to the door. I'd shut them up and open the door. Sometimes, I let them stick their heads out to say, "Hi!" and sometimes I made them stay in, while I walked out on the porch. Not a single child was fearful. A few, however, got rather upset, if I did not let them greet the dogs.

My neighbor had a bonfire, so my hound dog invited himself to the party. They have a female hound mix and 'Boh' loves the ladies. Good night! lol!
car2ner and kaydub_u like this.

Jan
Shelby 9-2-14
Natty Boh 6-27-12
Annie 1998 - 8-2-12 RIP
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-01-2018, 04:50 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

so glad it turned out well!
kaydub_u likes this.

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-01-2018, 11:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevenzachsmom View Post
I knew Obi would do great.

My dogs had a blast. They didn't grow up with young children, but they adore them. They barked like crazy, every time kids came to the door. I'd shut them up and open the door. Sometimes, I let them stick their heads out to say, "Hi!" and sometimes I made them stay in, while I walked out on the porch. Not a single child was fearful. A few, however, got rather upset, if I did not let them greet the dogs.

My neighbor had a bonfire, so my hound dog invited himself to the party. They have a female hound mix and 'Boh' loves the ladies. Good night! lol!
Sounds fun!! I can't wait until we let Obi have full run of the house. I think that's so cute, the kids being upset if they couldn't greet your doggy, you must have some great dogs. Halloween is an exciting time for kids and dogs! All the knocking and door bells going off to get their attention haha. I live in the suburbs, I envy your Boh being able to run over to a bonfire on Halloween night haha. Sounds like a partier.

After we got home, Obi ate dinner and PASSED OUT. I'll add a picture! I think family being over and all the extra playing had something to do with it. He barked at the doorbell twice and after that he was over it haha. I'm excited for next year, come Halloween 2019 he will be a year and six months and it's likely he will be running to the door to greet the kids in their costumes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sleepy halloween pup.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	513825  
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-01-2018, 11:36 PM
Crowned Member

I love my dogs, but they have issues. Ima send you a PM. lol!
kaydub_u likes this.

Jan
Shelby 9-2-14
Natty Boh 6-27-12
Annie 1998 - 8-2-12 RIP
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-01-2018, 11:55 PM
Elite Member

This was my boy's second halloween - he loves it - he loves that the streets are full of kids and he gets loads of attention from them, he thinks kids are just the best thing ever. He doesn't mind all the costumes and craziness going on.

My kids still go trick or treating and I go with and bring the dog along for his walk and everyone has a great time
Stevenzachsmom and kaydub_u like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page