Butt high puppy - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
Bug

Butt high puppy

My pup is a year old now -- yay! She's 24" high and 68lb. I've noticed that before she has big growth spurts she usually gets a bit butt high and then she'll balance out again. She was spayed at 4 months (I got her from a rescue). I took her to the vet again today and noticed that she's butt high again. Is this like with horses where they'll balance out whenever they're reaching maturity? I just feel like it's kind of late in the game to be growing taller, especially since she's already so large. Could her conformation just be that she stays a little downhill? Could she still have another growth spurt due to being spayed at such a young age? Ive read that they usually stop getting taller at like 9-12 months and then just have some filling out to do.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	99F16A58-40C4-45BF-B57A-5175B8A6B9F5_1539972027341.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	513207  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 02:29 PM
Elite Member

It's because she was spayed so young. Removing the hormones delays the closing of the growth plates of the bones, causing the dog to grow taller than it normally would.

Next time, do NOT spay until the dog is finished growing, which is usually around 1 year of age! Waiting until after the first heat is a good idea, because at that point you know the hormones have done what they are supposed to do.

Some recommend waiting until 2 years of age, which is when final OFA hip x-rays can be done for dysplasia
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 02:35 PM
The Friendly Neighborhood Witch Mod

It’s probably just the way she is genetically going to be, as far as her structure goes. You may notice some more changes as she gets older. She doesn’t have a ton of angulation in the back, which could contribute to her rear being higher.

Train the dog in front of you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 02:36 PM
The Friendly Neighborhood Witch Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunsilver View Post
It's because she was spayed so young. Removing the hormones delays the closing of the growth plates of the bones, causing the dog to grow taller than it normally would.

Next time, do NOT spay until the dog is finished growing, which is usually around 1 year of age! Waiting until after the first heat is a good idea, because at that point you know the hormones have done what they are supposed to do.

Some recommend waiting until 2 years of age, which is when final OFA hip x-rays can be done for dysplasia
The OP mentioned they got the dog from rescue. I doubt they had any choice over how young she was when she was spayed.
Thecowboysgirl likes this.

Train the dog in front of you.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 03:16 PM
Elite Member

I know, Gypsy, but at least they will now be aware of that for the future.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 03:53 PM
Mei
Master Member

Nothing you can really do about it. Like others mentioned, the very early spay is most likely the culprit. I know that was out of your control but now you know. Personally I'm waiting until mine is 2 years to spay. Still debating on which spay to go with...

I'm sure you'll still love her for how she is! Gorgeous dog!

Mei - DOB 1/15/2018
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 04:05 PM

Quote:

So I assume this is a chance of something that can happen because I have not seen this in other GSD'S. In her case the OP is talking about a non purebred dog also which could be the reason she's butt hight.
stevreb07 likes this.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 04:14 PM
Crowned Member

Could it be that at the vet, she is more subdued? If I am not happy I look like that too. What if she is perky, happy, active?
Synne likes this.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Bug

Quote:

Hi, yes I am aware about waiting to spay and the how hormones affect growth. I will likely always have rescues, so it's just something I have to deal with lol.

But was your point that yes she will probably even out / is still growing due to her growth plates closing later?

It doesn't matter to me if she stays this way. I was just curious because I read on other forums that dogs get butt high like horses until they finish growing. Trying to get an idea about if she will ever stop lol
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Bug

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
Could it be that at the vet, she is more subdued? If I am not happy I look like that too. What if she is perky, happy, active?
Hmmm I'll study her when she's out in the yard later 🙂 maybe her posture was just weird when I noticed it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page