Butt high puppy - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Bug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mei View Post
Nothing you can really do about it. Like others mentioned, the very early spay is most likely the culprit. I know that was out of your control but now you know. Personally I'm waiting until mine is 2 years to spay. Still debating on which spay to go with...

I'm sure you'll still love her for how she is! Gorgeous dog!

Thank you! She's a great dog and I will always think she's beautiful regardless 😍
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 06:36 PM
Crowned Member

There are breeds who have a higher butt, like the Chinook and the Chesapeake Bay Retriever. Maybe your dog isn't purebred after all (Alaskan Husky blood maybe?)If that is the case, it isn't fair to her to compare her to purebred GSDs. She looks like a lovely, sturdy dog.

Last edited by wolfy dog; 10-19-2018 at 06:42 PM.
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 06:48 PM

A lot of dogs are butt high when theyíre young. Sometimes it corrects itself, sometimes not!

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 07:04 PM
Elite Member

What dogfaeries said. No way of knowing until she's done growing!
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 07:30 PM
Crowned Member

It looks like her rear legs are positioned more forward than most, similar to what you might see with a dog attempting to hold more weight up front. Possibly due to structure or is something else going on there?
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 10:13 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunsilver View Post
It's because she was spayed so young. Removing the hormones delays the closing of the growth plates of the bones, causing the dog to grow taller than it normally would.

Next time, do NOT spay until the dog is finished growing, which is usually around 1 year of age! Waiting until after the first heat is a good idea, because at that point you know the hormones have done what they are supposed to do.

Some recommend waiting until 2 years of age, which is when final OFA hip x-rays can be done for dysplasia
This is a mixed breed rescue dog, and without knowing specifically what she is, you have no idea what the dogs conformation would be without having done an early spay. It could just as easily be the dogs genetic conformation, and the accusatory tone of your post isnít helpful.
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 10:21 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDog View Post
This is a mixed breed rescue dog, and without knowing specifically what she is, you have no idea what the dogs conformation would be without having done an early spay. It could just as easily be the dogs genetic conformation, and the accusatory tone of your post isnít helpful.
But also...anybody who is going to adopt from a rescue group or shelter is almost 100% of the time going to get a speutered dog with no control over when it was done. As OP said, that's just par for the course if you get a dog from most of these places. It's not like they had any say in the dog getting spayed at 4 months! Both dogs I've adopted were neutered, although the first had JUST been neutered at age 2 so he actually had had the opportunity to grow up with his nuts, but that was just the luck of the draw. #2 was neutered at 10 months because that's when the organization picked him up as a stray.
GypsyGhost likes this.
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 09:02 AM Thread Starter
Bug

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
There are breeds who have a higher butt, like the Chinook and the Chesapeake Bay Retriever. Maybe your dog isn't purebred after all (Alaskan Husky blood maybe?)If that is the case, it isn't fair to her to compare her to purebred GSDs. She looks like a lovely, sturdy dog.

Thank you! I appreciate the kind words. She is mixed with some Siberian Husky, but I didn't think huskies were built like that either... I could definitely be wrong tho since I'm not super familiar with them.
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 09:03 AM Thread Starter
Bug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunsilver View Post
What dogfaeries said. No way of knowing until she's done growing!

Thank you! I'll have to post some pics in a couple months and we'll see where she's at 🙂
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 11:37 AM

In horses we call this a "downhill" build, and often youngsters in their awkward stage are downhill before they mature and straighten out, so to speak. either way your pup should be just fine!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page