12 weeks - how noticeable should they be? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

12 weeks - how noticeable should they be?

Good morning all,

I kinda feel like this is a dumb post but I will anyways incase someone runs into a similar situation. So I did end up getting a puppy intending to do IPO. Meet Steel, who's behavior so far is not too far from his father's.

He has a great attitude, good food and toy drives and seems fearless so far. Katsu adores him and plays with him regularly.
I took him with me to my local GSD club meeting for him to see some new sights, sounds and smells, which he took in stride. One lady, a breeder and vet tech herself, asked me if I had received any paperwork stating retained testicles from his 8 week vet check. I said no and that my personal vet had checked him Friday and didn't mention anything about retained testicles. After that, all the other members that were in the room seemed interested in fondling my poor guy.

The breeder said she didn't know he was a boy because she couldn't see anything from behind to which I think was absurd on two occasions. 1. He's 12 weeks old and 2. the lighting in the room wasn't the best and his undercarriage is covered in black puppy hairs. But what do I know, I'm not a breeder. I personally can tell he's a he because of the other part of that equipment, but if you pick him up, it's obvious there's something in his bean bag. I have no idea what I'd be feeling for if I tried. I think I felt two, but this is beyond my pay grade as an IT

Finally, one lady cries "He's got testicles - I'm holding a nut!" like it was the holy grail or something, and then previous fondlers come back to verify her findings. All I can say is I'm very happy with how Steel handled the invasion of privacy - totally carefree and more interested in sniffing a cat tree than the hands between his legs.

My shiba we had neutered at 6 months and even then his testicles weren't too noticeable. They were there, but not "IN YOUR FACE" there like an older, mature dog would have.

So my question is - at 12 weeks, how noticeable should his " 'nads" be?

My thought is, my vet did a physical exam and didn't find anything worth mentioning. Worst case, I'll ask for her to check on his final vaccinations next month. I know they can do a "dance" like ears can, but I figured I'd ask. Poor guy, his new owner is already sizing him up.

The breeder I got him from had one puppy from a previous litter with a retained testicle and she made it public knowledge, and stated he would have to be neutered by 18 months or 2 years because of the issue. I'd imagine she would have done the same with this guy if that were the case.
Attached Images

dogbyte likes this.

+ Kalbi CGC 6/21/2015
+ Blackthorn's Out of the Frying Pan NW1 SCN BCAT SIN RATN TKN (Katsu) 9/12/2017
+ Blackthorn's Skofnung RATI RATN RATO (Steel) 07/23/2018
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 11:44 AM

with a face like that who needs any presents in their sack.....

Loved the read very cute
Sunsilver likes this.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 12:29 PM
Elite Member

[agrees with Malibu!] What a cutie!

Yes, at this age, the testicles can do a dance. Some dogs don't get them fully descended until later than 12 weeks. Had a friend hold back a breed quality pup because he only had one testicle at 8 weeks, when the other pups went to their new homes.

The other one came down eventually, and he was sent to his new home, and has fathered quite a few litters!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

I'm glad y'all found it as amusing as I did (after the fact of course). I don't think I've ever seen so many people interested in inspecting a puppy like a piece of machinery rather than oohing and awwwhing over it. So long as he grows up healthy and can do what I got him for, we'll be just fine.

+ Kalbi CGC 6/21/2015
+ Blackthorn's Out of the Frying Pan NW1 SCN BCAT SIN RATN TKN (Katsu) 9/12/2017
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 03:41 PM
Crowned Member

Wait....what?? Christine said she didn't know he was a boy??!

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 03:57 PM
Knighted Member

Testicles are like ears, in that people in general worry way too much about them as they dance up and down! GSDs are a pointy-eared breed, and males have testicles. At 12 weeks, even if they are not descended, it's a pretty sure bet they will be. I'm not a Vet or a breeder, but my guess would be that at this age the most a Vet would tell you is to wait and see...it's much too early to say one or both are retained.

So, my advice, for what it's worth, would be to relax and enjoy that handsome puppy!

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 04:05 PM
Crowned Member

You should talk to your vet. The ring closes at a certain age and I think you may be in that time frame. It they are retained, he should be neutered unless they can surgically pull them down.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
Wait....what?? Christine said she didn't know he was a boy??!
A different breeder lol 😂
I’m not sure if she was trying to cause drama or what, but it almost worked.

Christine knows he is a boy. She’s usually really good about the testes so I’m sure they’re down. I was just curious how much of a “bulge” should even be seen at 12 weeks. He has one, just the other breeder made me wonder.

+ Kalbi CGC 6/21/2015

Last edited by Katsugsd; 10-15-2018 at 04:12 PM.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 04:15 PM
The Friendly Neighborhood Witch Mod

I would ask your vet to let you know if both testicles have descended the next time you are in. Usually, they’re both down by 8 weeks, though of course some can descend a little later. You can also ask his breeder if they had both descended before you took him home. If they had, I’d say it’s a strong bet they’re both still where they should be.

Train the dog in front of you.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 04:16 PM
Crowned Member

Whew! I thought Christine was going senile for a second! So the other breeder is senile. Lol

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page