Puppy growing too fast - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By mmags
  • 1 Post By carmspack

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 09:04 AM Thread Starter

Puppy growing too fast

My boy Leo just turned five months and is 65lbs. He is very lean and just seems to be growing at a very fast rate, everything I have read online says he should be around 40lbs at this point. He is on puppy food and I donít know if he should be switched to adult food or maybe 50/50 for puppy and adult.

Should I be concerned?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 10:19 AM

He is growing that fast because of his genetics, there is nothing that you could have done to significantly slow it down. Food wont alter his growth enough to matter. I would keep him on puppy food for the low Ca/Phos levels since he is so big. As long as the vet has cleared him of any health issues then I wouldn't worry, you just have a big pup. Keep him lean and just keep an eye on him. Have any pictures?
Sunsilver and Malibu like this.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 11:02 AM
Crowned Member

Puppy food for Large breed Dogs. I also give him (Griff, almost 10 months old) 1000 mg Vit. C a day (breeders' advice) and a teaspoon of Golden Paste (google) to prevent Panosteitis, which has helped greatly. No more Pano after a short two week bout when he was about 5 months old.
Can you post is best a picture?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 11:39 AM
Elite Member

Golden Paste is great! tastes awful but I take it with a Bovril tea and I swear it is helping my knuckles and hands(RA). My dogs love it.

Valor 6/3/17
CGC BH AD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

he is currently on the fromm brand large dog puppy gold and is eating anywhere from 6-8 cups a day. I know a birds eye view picture would probably be best but this is all i have available right now. You can easily feel his ribs. I will try him with some vitamin c!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	file.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	12.0 KB
ID:	512885   Click image for larger version

Name:	file2.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	10.5 KB
ID:	512887   Click image for larger version

Name:	file1.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	10.8 KB
ID:	512891  
Attached Images

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 03:31 PM
Crowned Member

Golden Paste doesn't do much for pancreatitis - a digestive enzyme , proteolytic enzyme from
pineapple stem - bromelain , and from beet root - betaine .

the golden paste products are expensive - far too easily made from scratch -- and have
fibrous residue on the bottom of your cup . But they can be tasty .
I wouldn't rely on them for therapeutic results.
I have reviewed so many products in the market place.

secondly - the turmeric being used. Virtually all of it is a China product .
the turmeric powder is pale golden .
it is fine for culinary use .

the best , most effective turmeric is a dark orange red colour . The stronger the
colour the more active compounds for health benefits.

I select organic certified , deep brick red , aromatic - even from a distance, turmeric
grown in India .

for commercial products , for health , look at Epigenetic Labs 3D fermented turmeric , or

Naturally Better Curcumin x 4000 , or into AOR 's Curcumin Active .

Bovril ? high salt cntent , questionable caramel colouring (cancer?) --

much better sources for bone broth nowadays -- make it yourself - or conveniently buy
it -- shelf stable -- organic products such as Organika .
[email protected] likes this.

Carmen

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page