Look at his teeth.. - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

I noticed that my puppy has 2 teeth growing at almost the same place. Not sure if both are permanent or the other is just a puppy tooth. Both are intact with no signs that one is going to fall off soon.

Comparing the other side of his teeth, the outer tooth in the photo looks to be the one out of place.

Is this something that needs vet intervention? Or leave it as it is?

Will this cause unaligned tooth?

He's already 5 months. Turning 6 on July 17.

Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20180630-084339_Video Player_1530319759629.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	658.3 KB
ID:	506741   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20180630-084347_Video Player_1530319768368.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	853.2 KB
ID:	506743  

Last edited by Beibitoi; 06-29-2018 at 08:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 09:27 PM
Master Member

The dark colored tooth is a puppy tooth....looks like his adult canine coming in next to it....puppy teeth typically fall out and we never know.....if the puppy (dark) tooth feels firmly in place it wouldn't be a bad idea to see your vet...I'd be afraid it might affect the way the adult tooth comes in
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 05:43 AM
Master Member

I agree with Shane's. If it doesn't fall off, definitely see a vet. If it really doesn't fall off, yes I'd be worried that it will affect the not-yet-grown adult teeth coming in. Not an emergency, but I'd make a trip to see the vet anyhow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 10:19 AM
Crowned Member

When we have foster dogs with puppy teeth that haven't fallen out, we play tug with them. Get them riled up and play -- often! They also get stuffed kongs to work on. All of this was our vet's advice!

That usually is just enough for them to fall out on their own. Rarely they need to come out surgically, but that's an easy procedure. Don't rush to the vet though --- get the mouth working on toys, and maybe it will loosen up on its own.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 10:49 AM

What Magwart said ^^^^.I've had puppies with several 'stuck' baby teeth that looked like snaggle toothed sci-fi monsters.They always came out on their own and the adult teeth were nice and straight.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-03-2018, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies!

Just an update, his tooth is still there. From the time I posted the picture, the puppy tooth has grown significantly longer but it doesnt feel like it's going to fall anytime soon.

Tried to check the permanent tooth and it looks like it's growing fine, i.e., aligned. The opposite side however appears to have already grown longer than the one that's growing beside the puppy tooth.

Hopefully everything will turn out fine as he'll be joining conformation show soon.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-03-2018, 10:06 AM
Elite Member

I've seen it before, they usually fallout. I'd go with a vet if it becomes any more concerning though. Actually I just wanted to compliment you on being able to get a still photo of a 5 month old GSD's mouth lol
MandyB2003 likes this.

Valor 6/3/17
CGC BH AD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 05:04 AM Thread Starter

My pup is now turning 6 months and the tooth is still there. I'm afraid his permanent tooth appears to be growing inwards same as the one on the picture. NOTE: THAT IS NOT HIS TEETH. THEY ARE THE SAME. Bumping on the upper gums.

Called several vets but surprisingly, not one performs tooth extraction. Until I find one, I am on my own now.

Chew toys and tugs didnt seem to help.

I am about to show him in august but all the hard work preparing for the show might be for nothing if I cant show him because of his tooth.

I hope his tooth will self-correct soon. Really do not know what to do now.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 08:38 AM
Mei
Master Member

My pup is going through the same exact thing, it is frustrating! Hers is the top canine baby tooth. As Magwart mentioned, that is what I was advised of as well. She is 7 months tomorrow and my vet doesn't seem super concerned and said if it is still in by the time we spay her, around 9 or 10 months, she'll remove it during that procedure.

I did check the tooth yesterday and it does budge now, but not super loose still, so that is good. What I have been doing is focusing tug on that side with a rope of hers. I'm pulling/being more aggressive than normal with the tug too, which she seems to enjoy! I was going to get a bone from the tractor store yesterday but never got around to it. Maybe today.

Good luck!

Mei - DOB 1/15/2018
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-07-2018, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the advice. Just want to tell you that his puppy tooth just fell and the permanent one's coming out perfectly aligned! Thank you.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page