Socialization vs vaccinations conondrum - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-21-2018, 11:58 AM
Crowned Member

I know only one person with a dog, a friendly Golden, but is not crazy about puppy shenanigans.
Most adult dogs do not seem to like puppies. It is their job to teach them, not to adore them. people need to get that out of their heads. They are not furry people who need to be loved and need to share everything. They are dogs with their own rules.

Neighborhood dogs we encounter on walks are either leash reactive, don't react well to her barking at them, are shy, misbehaving or some other such that has ruled out positive interaction.
Keep a good distance away from them so she can focus on you when you play and work with your puppy. The world is a crazy place for a new pup and you need to guide her in what is normal and what is not.

Dog parks are a no-no. Her barking spins up otherwise calm dogs when we walk in the park and people shy away. Sometimes the barking seems fearful/reticent, sometimes seems like she just wants to play.
The only good thing about a fenced dog park is the fence (to stay away far and, for your puppy, a safe distance away at the other side of it). I have used this when working with Griff to get him used to crazy dog stuff.

It seems like I will have to choose between an early vaccination for rabies at this age, and the possible consequences of that, or a dog who will not be able to interact freely with other dogs
In our county 6 month is the latest to get them vaccinated for Rabies. It has not limited my training and socialization plans with him and he has not been bitten by an infected dog, raccoon or bat.

I would relax about all of this and enjoy working and playing with your pup. Make her successful by taking it easy and keeping her at a good distance from difficult situations but in a way she can still see, while being able to work and play with you to make her succeed.
CometDog and Felafufu like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-21-2018, 07:22 PM

Hey, i recently just got a pup too, and she is 8 weeks old. I know how you feel about the barking at the other dogs and all because that's what my puppy does too! It is a headache bc she even barks at my older shepherd. I am blessed however with my other older shepherd because he's relaxed and calm and ignores her. He doesn't really care for her but is there to teach her when she is stepping over her boundaries.

With my boy I taught him the leave it command. I used treats at first, then with his toys. After getting good at that I started incorporating the command with everything. Especially with other dogs that are barking at us on walks. He is really good now with that. I plan to do the same with my puppy.

With socializing, I knew a lot of people who had dogs. Most of them were not good influences though. But as a pup my boy was very good with other dogs. I would like to see what others will say more about barking at other dogs too. My female pup now even barks at my boy here and there(super confident, drive is building up fast).
Good luck! Hope some of it helps!
Felafufu likes this.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-21-2018, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

Thank you all for taking an interest. Appreciate the perspectives. The trainer we're working with is focusing on engagement exercises, confidence building (dog and handler), obedience in a group training setting, etc. My girl is doing great. Trainer is GSD savvy, has his own, and I've met several of his older "students". I hope my girl grows up that well trained, especially the off leash work amazes me. One reason I was hoping for day care a couple of times a week, is my in-house sitter was mistreating my dog and was fired. The other one just stares at her phone all day (I have cams). My girl is also not getting enough exercise and I don't like being over an hour away at work; Dogtopia is right next to my office. Not my first dog, first puppor first GSD, and have had no issues in the past with doggy day care. That said, I am paying attention your suggestions and experience. Thank you, and cheers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-18-2018, 08:02 AM Thread Starter

Just to follow up; we didn't do doggy day care. Her exposure to other dogs remained via group training classes that include some free play time at the end, and visits with neighbors. The reticence resolved itself quickly, so I chalk it up to a puppy phase. She's a happy, confident pup at five months; she amazes me sometimes. Now, I'll never know if putting her in daycare would have led to a different outcome for her, but all is well that ends well.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-18-2018, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felafufu View Post
Just to follow up; we didn't do doggy day care. Her exposure to other dogs remained via group training classes that include some free play time at the end, and visits with neighbors. The reticence resolved itself quickly, so I chalk it up to a puppy phase. She's a happy, confident pup at five months; she amazes me sometimes. Now, I'll never know if putting her in daycare would have led to a different outcome for her, but all is well that ends well.
If you plan on taking vacation in the future and boarding her, putting her in daycare a couple of times a month at the facility would help a lot. She'll get to know the kennel staff and the regular dogs. It'll help keep her calm and at least in a semi-familiar environment while you're away.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-18-2018, 01:36 PM
Elite Member

For me, the decision would completely hinge on the quality of the daycare. Unless I trusted the staff 100% to know what they were doing I would absolutely not send a dog to daycare. I would not send my dogs to any of the daycares around here, even my social girl.

I take my dog out downtown to the dog friendly stores and the walking strip and the advantage is most of the dogs we see are neutral and well behaved because only someone looking for trouble would take a reactive or aggressive dog into a place teeming with kids, people, bikes, other dogs. It's been great because my girl gets to observe other dogs but see they are not a big deal, either to play with or to react to. She's super social anyway, and not reactive, but I am working very hard to build attention and engagement as it pays off 100X as the pup matures.

Key is attention and neutrality. I can't tell you how critical it is to build that when the pup is still young and easy to train. A young pup being this reactive to other dogs, is a sign of poor nerves, which I know sounds critical or mean but isn't. I've been there. That is why it is so important to work with her now, as you can build toward neutrality as she grows up.

As for vaccinations- rabies is required here by 16 weeks. I follow the law.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-19-2018, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskeg View Post
. . .

Key is attention and neutrality. I can't tell you how critical it is to build that when the pup is still young and easy to train. A young pup being this reactive to other dogs, is a sign of poor nerves, which I know sounds critical or mean but isn't. I've been there. That is why it is so important to work with her now, as you can build toward neutrality as she grows up.

As for vaccinations- rabies is required here by 16 weeks. I follow the law.
I made a comment on my original post as an update (I should probably update the original). But to reiterate that, I chalk her barking at other dogs and being reticent as a puppy phase (she was 12 weeks then and is 5 months old now) because it lasted about one week. We've taken her everywhere without pushing her into anything at this point she seems to have nerves of steel. We live in a city, and she's been out on the farm and nothing seems to phase her, I'm so pleased!
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-19-2018, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyrielle View Post
If you plan on taking vacation in the future and boarding her, putting her in daycare a couple of times a month at the facility would help a lot. She'll get to know the kennel staff and the regular dogs. It'll help keep her calm and at least in a semi-familiar environment while you're away.
We went on vacation for 10 days and boarded her at a facility I know and trust. I didn't want to even go on vaca, but it was paid for a year in advance. She did great there. Whew!
Beau's Mom likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page