I need a second opinion in my “pure bred” gsd - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-02-2018, 10:27 PM Thread Starter

I need a second opinion in my “pure bred” gsd

I was told today that my 6 month gsd looks like she’s mixed and that she’s pretty small for her size, not sure how much she currently weighs
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1527992823108.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	504697   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1527992846558.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	504705  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-02-2018, 10:35 PM
Master Member

Can't tell if she's underweight if you don't tell us how much she weighs. And from the 2 pictures you provided, she looks GSD to me. Did you adopt her from the pound/rescue? Or buy her from a backyard breeder or puppy mill? Otherwise you would know if she's pure or mixed. Does she have AKC papers? That could help.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-02-2018, 11:18 PM

Definitely purebred.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-03-2018, 12:03 AM
Crowned Member

She appears purebred, understand that purebred does not mean well bred or breeding quality. She does not look small to me and she sure is cute. The general public seems to believe that GSD's are giant dogs, they aren't.
Aly, gsdluvr and Femfa like this.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-03-2018, 02:42 AM

Looks purebred to me but we can never be 100% sure on the dog’s genetics.

Not sure if this would help but at least the results might give you peace of mind.

https://www.wisdompanel.com
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-03-2018, 07:20 AM
Master Member

She's purebred.....I'm guessing you mean small for her age ??......how old is she?
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-03-2018, 08:05 AM

she doesn't look too small to me. GSDs aren't supposed to be huge. Smaller ones can be much more agile.
gsdluvr likes this.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-03-2018, 08:37 AM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanes' Dad View Post
She's purebred.....I'm guessing you mean small for her age ??......how old is she?

Ooooops... I missed 6 months.......i think for 6 months she looks normal....her proportions look good IMO....Is that why someone thought she wasn't 100% GSD....they thought she was too small?....these dogs change and grow at different rates...hard to say what her size/weight may be at 2 years
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-03-2018, 08:57 AM
Crowned Member

She looks like a pure german Shepherd. Females are smaller then males. you can get a dog who is below standard or above standard in litter of pups. Standard weight for a female is around 50- 70lbs. Yes she still has growing to do!
Sunsilver and Femfa like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-03-2018, 02:43 PM
Master Member

Looks purebred to me. Having white on the paws is not completely abnormal and is relatively common in the American Showlines. Not sure why people think GSDs are supposed to be massive, especially the females. And I agree with Car2ner, the small females tend to be absolute forces to be reckoned with IMO. Fast and agile.
gsdluvr likes this.

The world would be a nicer place if everyone had the ability to love as unconditionally as a dog.

Kona
2017/03/19

"Ryka" Joule von Wendelin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page