How much did your male/female GSD grow between 1 year and 3 years? Curious. - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

How much did your male/female GSD grow between 1 year and 3 years? Curious.

Some people said theirs stopped growing when they reach 18 months and some said between 1 year - 3 years they grew 10-20lb more? Just curious.
gveliopoulos likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 10:06 PM

Best I can remember...

Gias height remained the same... gained 20lbs
Tildens height remained the same, so did weight.
Codas height remained the same... gained 10lbs
Keystone grew an inch... weight remained the same.
Jenny720 likes this.

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 65lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 55lbs of Go!!!!!
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 11:16 PM
Elite Member

About 2-3 inches from 1-2 years old. Noticed head growth a lot and muscle growth in my male
Jenny720 likes this.

Snitches get stitches.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 08:48 AM
Crowned Member

How much did your male/female GSD grow between 1 year and 3 years? Curious.

My female is 21 months I do not expect her to grow much more but and did not notice a notable change in the size of her from 1-2 she is 65lbs. Max is 3 1/2 years old and he seems to have filled out and grown till three. I have to get a more recent weight on him last was about 84 lbs.

photos -max at one years old and three 1/2. Luna at 14 year old and 21 months old. Different lighting changes their coat colors a bit .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Jenny720; 05-22-2018 at 09:32 AM.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 12:19 PM
Elite Member

My last GSD gained like 15 pounds from age 1 to 3. Height stayed the same. So he was 75 lbs at age 1..by age 3 he was 90 and lean.

This guy now? Shoot I hope height is done. @cloudpump you just scared me lol He is 27.5 at the withers at 11 months old. Much taller than sire or dam. He is 88 pounds and lean.

Valor 6/3/17
CGC BH AD
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 05:14 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CometDog View Post
My last GSD gained like 15 pounds from age 1 to 3. Height stayed the same. So he was 75 lbs at age 1..by age 3 he was 90 and lean.

This guy now? Shoot I hope height is done. @cloudpump you just scared me lol He is 27.5 at the withers at 11 months old. Much taller than sire or dam. He is 88 pounds and lean.
They all grow at different rates. I like when their heads grow. D'jango looked like a pinhead. Now his head is as big as my daughter's torso
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180519_102637.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	502666  
dogbyte and Hellish like this.

Snitches get stitches.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 07:46 PM
Crowned Member

Mine grew two more inches and I can’t even say when because I just recently measured him. The previous time was at 12 months. He is over 2.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 12:18 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

So the males pretty much filled out huh? Good to hear. Some handsome shepherds here in the forum! I'm just a little upset right now, my boy has been refusing to eat for a good 2 weeks now, I've been hand-feeding him throughout his meal times.. It was really sudden. Checked to the vet; he's totally fine physically (so that's $65 out of the window), so it's a behaviour issue. Have tried everything pretty much: add some broth, wet food, changed the brand once (ate the new food at first, now back to No No). He used to be so crazy about his meal time. He still eats if I give out the kibbles as 'treats,' but never from the bowl. He hasn't gained any weight in a month, for the 1st time since I got him at 2 months (now he's 10 1/2 months). Just talked to our trainer this morning, looks like I've come to my last resort: gonna put down the bowl for 15 mins, if he doesn't eat, well too bad you're gonna be hungry. My trainer said once she had to do it to her dog, the dog gave in after 3 days. So I'll see what happens then. It's very upsetting as an owner. Times like this I wish us humans can communicate with animals through language. Wanna let him know how lucky he is to have a home and to be fed twice a day premium food, whilst so many other dogs don't have the luxury. Just a little too agitated I suppose, that he's being difficult and ungrateful for food with so many other living beings would kill for it. I don't believe I've ever been so disappointed in my dog. First for everything they say.....
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 02:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGloomy View Post
So the males pretty much filled out huh? Good to hear. Some handsome shepherds here in the forum! I'm just a little upset right now, my boy has been refusing to eat for a good 2 weeks now, I've been hand-feeding him throughout his meal times.. It was really sudden. Checked to the vet; he's totally fine physically (so that's $65 out of the window), so it's a behaviour issue. Have tried everything pretty much: add some broth, wet food, changed the brand once (ate the new food at first, now back to No No). He used to be so crazy about his meal time. He still eats if I give out the kibbles as 'treats,' but never from the bowl. He hasn't gained any weight in a month, for the 1st time since I got him at 2 months (now he's 10 1/2 months). Just talked to our trainer this morning, looks like I've come to my last resort: gonna put down the bowl for 15 mins, if he doesn't eat, well too bad you're gonna be hungry. My trainer said once she had to do it to her dog, the dog gave in after 3 days. So I'll see what happens then. It's very upsetting as an owner. Times like this I wish us humans can communicate with animals through language. Wanna let him know how lucky he is to have a home and to be fed twice a day premium food, whilst so many other dogs don't have the luxury. Just a little too agitated I suppose, that he's being difficult and ungrateful for food with so many other living beings would kill for it. I don't believe I've ever been so disappointed in my dog. First for everything they say.....

I'm not much help in terms of the weight and height gain, as my girls only 7 months old.

I might have a few suggestions for the food because my hound/shepherd(?) mix has the same issues. He ended up losing a lot of weight in the shelter then started gaining, but all of a sudden lost quite a bit. Which in terms of weight was fine because he was a bit overweight but his sudden lose of appetite was unsettling. We tried over 5 different brands of food with zero change in appetite after 2 or 3 days of eating it.

What we found that worked was changing him to a high quality food which was stinky and smelly. We chose Orijen for this purpose (averages about $40 a month since he's not very active and is only 60-65 pounds.) But I know there a quite a few high quality (smelly) foods that don't get nearly that expensive.

Then we add pumpkin (he loves the stuff) which works really well for him, he hasn't missed a meal and we're on his 2nd bag. So pretty good for our major picky eater. We previously had tried adding his favorite treat (string cheese) 100% pork and beef and regular canned dog food plus way more. He wasn't interested until we switched to the Orijen and pumpkin combo, now instead of missing meals or walking really slowly to eat he comes up really quickly and eats.

I think the major reason he stopped eating was because of stress. When he was at the shelter he way underweight due to the constant barking and motion (other dogs) at the shelter, he's very much a non vocal (by choice) coach potato so I think it was to much. Then when we got Olivia a few months later (profile pic) he again went off of food.

So it's possible that if your dog is anything like our Murdoc he could be stressed out and just not wanting to eat. Our maybe just changing up there diet to something else that smells could work, seemed to do the trick with Murdoc.

If your dogs lose of appetite bothers you could try to give a beef knuckle or other such meaty treat. That way your dog has at least something in their stomach. However there is that fine line between getting a dog to eat and rewarding them for being picky so that's something you want to gauge.

Picking up Murdoc's food never worked for us, that's why I mentioned this. He would just flat out starve himself and go days without even a nibble. However I know a few dogs that picking up the food trick has worked for, just not ours

Thanks,

Alyssa
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 12:22 PM
Crowned Member

Luna’s picky she will eat her food plain occasionally gets bored easily I had found the less food I put in her bowl -she would eat it up but that would include feeding multiple times a day. So I just choose to add fresh food this makes dry food not so boring so will add either fresh meat, dehydrated patties, raw eggs etc. Luna will not leave a crumb behind. I always pick up there food bowls up right after they eat.

Last edited by Jenny720; 05-23-2018 at 12:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page