Sharing toys - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 04:13 PM Thread Starter

Sharing toys

Advice please

I have a 9 week old German shepherd (puppy in story) and a year old mix (no German shepherd in the mix) (dog in story). They are kept separate a lot of the time and are together multiple times a day with strict supervision to help them get to know each other. Before today they play without many issues or, rarely, chew on separate toys calmly.

Today my older dog decided he wanted which ever toy the puppy had. In this case the puppy was chewing on a rawhide(1). The older dog wants the rawhide(1).

We do not let him take it but give him a new one(2). This satisfies him for a couple of minutes but then he wants the one puppy has again(1). We keep him from taking it until puppy wanders off. Dog goes and chews on rawhide(1). Puppy wanders over to the rawhide(2) dog was chewing on before. Dog growls at puppy (not a play growl).

At this point I put dog in his crate with one rawhide(1) (the one he had at this point not the one the puppy had) and shortly afterwards put puppy back into the kitchen with his rawhide(2)

I do not feel it is ok for dog to demand a toy puppy has but am uncertain if I handled it correctly or what I should do when this happens.

(1) refers to the original rawhide the puppy had while (2) refers to the new rawhide we gave the older dog.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 07:13 PM

I'm no expert and I don't know what advice others will give but generally with something like a rawhide I crate each dog while they chew on them and put them up when I let the dogs out. Any dogs I've had have not done well with rawhides or bones so best to just separate them while they have them.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 07:35 PM

Just separate them with a baby gate or crate them.They are not children who can be taught to share.My two (4yrs and 5yrs)will trade their chew treats back and forth with no conflict now but it wasn't that way at first.Some dogs are never able to,totally normal.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

I'm pleased to report they are much better at sharing. They often play with them nicely or chew laying together. Sometimes the same chew at the same time. I'm not sure how my daughter got them to do this because I was gone for a week and they are much more at ease with each other. We still put the gate up for meals and sometimes for naps (so one doesn't try to play with the other while the other is trying to nap) but they are together a majority of the day.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 03:16 PM

nice. I still separate my two when they eat. Sometimes it is simply distance, but for super yummy stuff I'll crate one. That way they can fully relax and not worry if they'll have to give up their treat or be pestered. Works for us.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page