Pack Bonding - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

Pack Bonding

We picked up our new 8 week old puppy this past weekend. We have an 11 year old lab and a 5 year old half lab half shepherd. I thought for sure my 5 year old would be over the moon about the puppy, he has loved every other dog he comes in contact with. My older dog can't play as much anymore and my 5 year seemed to be getting bored. It went the complete opposite. My 5 year old snarls at the puppy, and know this is part of figuring out a new pecking order, but he wants nothing to do with him. My older dog will play with the pup when the 5 year old isn't around and will tolerate the pup biting and pulling on his tail/ears.

How long can it take for the 5 year old to accept the puppy? Is it possible they won't get along? What can I do to help the process?

Nicole
Tank (Blk Lab) 10/23/07
Ruger
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2/23/10-12/31/2011
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 08:34 PM

You can help by not forcing it.Don't allow the puppy to badger the 5yr old.They'll adjust in their own time.Use baby gates,x pens,or whatever so they can exist peacefully until they all figure things out in their own time.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 08:35 PM
Crowned Member

Crate, rotate, give them time to know each other.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 08:42 PM Thread Starter

Awesome this is what I have been doing.

Nicole
Tank (Blk Lab) 10/23/07
Ruger
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2/23/10-12/31/2011
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogma13 View Post
You can help by not forcing it.Don't allow the puppy to badger the 5yr old.They'll adjust in their own time.Use baby gates,x pens,or whatever so they can exist peacefully until they all figure things out in their own time.
Definitely not trying to force it. But it really took us by surprise. He is always happy to see other dogs and our neighbors visit with theirs frequently. But since we stepped out of the car with the pup he has kept his distance, like he knew right away this one was staying. It was very odd.

Nicole
Tank (Blk Lab) 10/23/07
Ruger
2/23/10-12/31/2011
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 10:48 PM

It's different when they become a member of the already established pack,lol!I've observed several of these transition periods with my dogs.Sometimes it takes several weeks.
wolfy dog likes this.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 11:57 PM

You mention he’s liked every dog.... puppies are different. They’re rude and annoying. Some dogs enjoy or at best, tolerate puppies... others don’t.

All of that said, yes, there is absolutely a chance that the two will merely coexist. This is why folks here constantly advise against getting a dog as a companion for your existing dog.

I have two boys now that will play together on the rare occasion - usually a brief wrestle at the beach or on a hike... otherwise they each have their own relationships with me and could easily do without the other.
wolfy dog and Femfa like this.

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 65lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 55lbs of Go!!!!!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 07:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fodder View Post
You mention he’s liked every dog.... puppies are different. They’re rude and annoying. Some dogs enjoy or at best, tolerate puppies... others don’t.

All of that said, yes, there is absolutely a chance that the two will merely coexist. This is why folks here constantly advise against getting a dog as a companion for your existing dog.

I have two boys now that will play together on the rare occasion - usually a brief wrestle at the beach or on a hike... otherwise they each have their own relationships with me and could easily do without the other.
What does the coexisting look like? I mean, do they snap at one another? Do they ever lay together? We have had 4 dogs at one time and my grandma use to breed, but I've never seen an adult act this distant to a pup.

Nicole
Tank (Blk Lab) 10/23/07
Ruger
2/23/10-12/31/2011
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 10:52 AM
Crowned Member

A new puppy is like Dennis the Menace to the adult dogs. If the older dogs are socially skilled and appropriate they will teach the pup. It doesn't go gently and pups tend to scream like they just lost an eye. But I keep a new pup separate from the others for a few weeks as well. Then gradually ease them into it.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 12:35 PM
Master Member

When I got my WGSL puppy, my golden retriever hated him. With a passion. To be fair, he was an obnoxious brat and it took a while for him to calm down and leave her alone. It took over three months before I started to notice that she was starting to like him. She would actually let him lay within 5 feet of her! By the time he died 5 months after coming home, she did like him, and we noticed that she missed him a lot as well. She still wags her tail ferociously whenever I get out his old collar and let her smell it. It may take time for your dog to like the new pup.
wolfy dog likes this.

Forrest - GSD 9/1/2016 - 5/14/2017 RIP
Brooklyn - Golden retriever 1/30/11
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page