How close is too close - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

How close is too close

My gsd is 9months old and extremely friendly. Recently we moved to a bigger place, where we rented out other rooms. One of them has a staffy. The other guy, acts as if our dog is his.
Not only does he ignore my requests of not letting him jump, or letting the dogs play rough. He blatantly disrespects me by continuing to play with him when I call for my dog.
My dog loves him, because he gets to do all the things we don't let him do when with him. For example jumping, rough housing with him. Furthermore he never disciplines him, so my dog thinks the guys the best. He is clearly biased and has stated he wants my dogs unconditional love, despite there being two dogs - the staffy which he plays with less.
Due to this my dog has been quite fond of him, and it's getting to the point where I think it's too much. Not only does he teach my dog bad habits, but he's adjusting him to a different lifestyle and treatment that I won't maintain when he's gone, leaving my dog and I to struggle to adjust.
I'm also concerned that because my dog is still young he will think hes part of the pack and assign authority to him.

So my question is, is this a valid concern.
And how do I resolve this.
How do I get my dog to be less attached?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 11:56 AM

Do you own the property? Did these tenants sign any sort of lease or rental agreement?

If you own it, I would set a clear boundary with this person. "Look, if you continue to do this you're gonna have to find a new place to live."

If they signed some sort of contract with you, hopefully there is a clause that allows you to cancel said contract and boot them.

2 GSD's - General and Arrow
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 12:05 PM
Knighted Member

Yeah contract or no contract (though hopefully you DO have one!), I'd definitely be setting some ground rules with your tenant. Your concern about your dog is absolutely valid, and the dog, and you and your family, will definitely suffer from his inexcusable disregard for your stated wishes regarding your dog. Nip this in the bud now!
dogma13 and cheffjapman like this.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 08:18 PM
Master Member

Is it possible to cut off all contact with the dog and said tenant? Can you put your dog up in his crate or in a separate room whenever the tenant is out and about and not in his room? That is definitely not okay.

One of the reasons I never want another golden retriever is because of this exact issue. I lived in the basement with another family upstairs, and every time I took my dog up they would do that exact same thing. Get her to jump up on them, let her on the furniture, distract her when I was trying to call her, etc. No matter how many times I told them to knock it off, they ignored me, and in turn, so did my dog. I started only taking her upstairs when she had a leash on so there was no way for her to ignore me, then I moved out soon after. My dog was not their dog, and they were being extremely disrespectful to me. Unfortunately, my golden does this with anyone, even strangers. Yes, I have done extensive training and it is no longer an issue, but still. Never again. Definitely stop this with your dog.

Forrest - GSD 9/1/2016 - 5/14/2017 RIP
Brooklyn - Golden retriever 1/30/11
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

We do have a contract and I have spoken to him multiple times about it, but his reasoning is "sorry I can't help myself",
I'd put my dog in my room but it feels so unfair I have to lock my dog up in my oen house.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 12:21 AM
Elite Member

If it were me, I'd find a legal way to break the contract. To be clear I'm a mean B and your tenant saying "he can't help it" is just childish disrespect IMHO. If it were me I would be making it very clear that is how I see it. Being the meany that I am I would also be firmly letting the tenant know that you allowed him to rent space with the understanding he was an adult and are expecting him to act like one. "My house. My rules" no excuses or move out.

I wonder if the tenants attitude would change if you asked him to pay the bill for private professional training sessions to undo the bad habits he is teaching your dog???

Seriously, you need to find a way to limit contact between your dog and your tenant.

Ziva 03.07.2013
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 12:40 AM
Master Member

If someone cannot respect the rules of your home - if this is your home and you are renting the rooms out - I would make it very clear that their behaviour is unacceptable and there will be consequences. "It's just who I am" is a poor excuse to self-indulge.

The world would be a nicer place if everyone had the ability to love as unconditionally as a dog.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kona
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2017/03/19

"Ryka" Joule von Wendelin
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 12:57 AM

Honestly, and this is easy for me to say since your situation is the very reason I’ve never had a roommate... he’d be looking for a new place to live. Call it rules, respect, whatever... you leave other people’s animals alone.

You’re right, it is unfair to have to lock your dog in your room of your own home. More reason to give him an ultimatum... tell him you can’t help yourself

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 65lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 55lbs of Go!!!!!

Last edited by Fodder; 04-25-2018 at 01:04 AM.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 03:13 AM
Elite Member

Until this tenant moves on, if it was me, I'd have the dog on a hands free jogging leash whenever the tenant was around.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 07:30 AM

the law might not allow the "booting" of the renter. I remember a family member running up against this with a roommate that wasn't working out. It may take awhile to go through the legalities of an eviction, so you will have to get the ball rolling soon if this is the route you need to take.

Or have the offending roommate go to training lessons as an observer. A pro might be able to sink a little sense into their head.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page