Can i take my 8 week old for walks? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 09:34 AM Thread Starter

Question Can i take my 8 week old for walks?

I have been taking him out for walks and then read something about how dangerous it is to take him out before his second vaccinations?

What am i supposed to do?

If I'm not supposed to walk him yet, how do i socialize and how do i burn off his energy?
[email protected] likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 09:52 AM

Most every vet is going to tell you that to socialize him, invite people over, and expose him to as many different things in your home and yard as you can. Vacuum cleaners, hair dryers, kids playing, baths, birds hopping around, cats, cardboard boxes and paper bags to play in, kiddie pool filled with balls or other toys... Anything you can think of to have him hear, feel, climb on and safely interact with.

He won't need a bunch of walking yet. He can burn off energy with play, and basic training is mental stimulation which also will tire a dog out! Sit, down and stay are great, and you can also begin "watch me".

Socialization to many people doesn't mean "go out an interact with people" so much as it means "expose the puppy to new sights and sounds and teach him to pretty much accept those things as background stimuli while focusing on YOU". I also did a lot of environmental socialization locally, which meant exposing my pup to different surface textures (mud, snow, grass, sand, rocky soil, climbing on logs, light exposure to stairs, etc).

In full disclosure I did take my guy out to places where there was not heavy people/dog traffic, BUT there was sure to be deer and raccoon/possum around so I had to be careful and watch him so he wouldn't eat poop if it was on the ground, and I had to try and keep him from drinking out of puddles. I also had to take some ticks off of him afterward. I live in a suburban area with some open spaces nearby so I felt I could balance his health with some environmental exposure. Had I lived in an urban environment, I would not have done this. Too many city people are anti-vax with their dogs. I didn't even take my pup to the little downtown area until he had several rounds of his shots.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 09:58 AM
Elite Member

Call the vet offices in your area and ask them how many parvo cases, etc. they have seen lately. My area it isn't super prevalent and the vets hadn't seen any cases recently so I took my dog out but not to places where many dogs went. We went to the University where he got to meet a lot of kids, the local garden store, etc.

SQUIRREL!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 10:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GandalfTheShepherd View Post
Call the vet offices in your area and ask them how many parvo cases, etc. they have seen lately. My area it isn't super prevalent and the vets hadn't seen any cases recently so I took my dog out but not to places where many dogs went. We went to the University where he got to meet a lot of kids, the local garden store, etc.
okay I will call and ask!
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 10:02 AM

Do you live in an area with a lot of stray cats?
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlipperyRug View Post
Do you live in an area with a lot of stray cats?
I do yes..I called the vet and they didn't seem to have an issue with taking him out for short walks though.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 11:10 AM
Master Member

I erred on the side of caution and didn't take my pup on walks or anywhere until she was 19wks

Only time she was out was to go to the bathroom and at my in-laws
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armistice View Post
I erred on the side of caution and didn't take my pup on walks or anywhere until she was 19wks

Only time she was out was to go to the bathroom and at my in-laws
What did you do to burn off her energy? I find mines never tired.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 12:25 PM
Crowned Member

NO do not take an 8 week old for walks.

he needs to know his home, find and understand and bond with "his" family

he needs lots of rest - and quiet sleep

he isn't physically fit for distance "forced march" , not his lungs, not his heart, not his
muscles , not his ligaments , and not the immune which has faced and will face more
challenges as he is "processed" with veterinary care .

he has at 8 weeks left home , new routine, new food , different water , and expectations

let him rumble around the yard , choose his activity , usually in fits and starts , run , jump,
walk -- wtop , lie down , without social pressures or unwanted visits from sketchy dogs
wolfstraum likes this.

Carmen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmspack View Post
NO do not take an 8 week old for walks.

he needs to know his home, find and understand and bond with "his" family

he needs lots of rest - and quiet sleep

he isn't physically fit for distance "forced march" , not his lungs, not his heart, not his
muscles , not his ligaments , and not the immune which has faced and will face more
challenges as he is "processed" with veterinary care .

he has at 8 weeks left home , new routine, new food , different water , and expectations

let him rumble around the yard , choose his activity , usually in fits and starts , run , jump,
walk -- wtop , lie down , without social pressures or unwanted visits from sketchy dogs
What do you do to entertain him? I find that when i did the walks it helped settle down his energy a bit. I've tried training and playing in the house but it turns to biting really fast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page