Need Advice on GSD Puppy: Picking up on Saturday - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

Need Advice on GSD Puppy: Picking up on Saturday

So I met the GSD Puppy that I will be picking up on Saturday and there are a few things that concern me that make me question if it is a good decision or not. My first concern is the puppy is currently 7 weeks old and the breeder informed me that both of his testicles are not fully in the sack yet. Is this something I should be worried about because I would hate to encounter complications down the road hence why I am purchasing one through a reputable breeder that was recommended on this forum. My second concern is that compared to the other male litter mate, it seems as if this puppy is much smaller and lighter. When I look at the puppy I noticed that his tail seems a little bit short and that his ears and snout look pretty small as well. Can someone please give me advice on these issues since I would hate to invest all this money into a wrong decision.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GSD.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	492105  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 02:40 PM
Elite Member

Oh my goodness. He is adorable!

I have ended up with two cryptorchid (only one testicle) GSDs over the years. Since I don't show or breed, it has never affected my decision on whether or not to get a puppy. They were great dogs and I never regretted having them. If you do decide to get the puppy, you should not breed him, and you should eventually have the retained testicle removed since it can be a cancer risk. Neutering will be more invasive and will cost more. I think there is also a slightly higher risk of testicular torsion until you get the dog fixed. Some people say that testicles can still descend until a pup is around 4-5 months of age (I forget the exact age). I wouldn't count on that happening, but it is possible I think. His size and proportions look fine to me, but I'm not an expert.
DarylG23 likes this.

Last edited by sebrench; 04-02-2018 at 02:43 PM.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebrench View Post
Oh my goodness. He is adorable!

I have ended up with two cryptorchid (only one testicle) GSDs over the years. Since I don't show or breed, it has never affected my decision on whether or not to get a puppy. They were great dogs and I never regretted having them. If you do decide get the puppy, you should not breed him, and you should eventually have the retained testicle removed since it can be a cancer risk. Neutering will be more invasive and will cost more. I think there is also a slightly higher risk of testicular torsion until you get the dog fixed. Some people say that testicles can still descend until a pup is around 4-5 months of age (I forget the exact age). I wouldn't count on that happening, but it possible I think.
I appreciate the insight! I will see if the breeder will be willing to help cover the additional costs of neutering, if there are issues down the line. In the breeder contract it states that they must not be neutered prior to the age of two, so not really sure how problematic the issues would be. Does the undescended testicles affect growth? was just wondering since he does appear to be must smaller than his litter mate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 02:48 PM

Is the other male puppy also a long coat? The long hair can make their proportions appear odd.

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 65lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 55lbs of Go!!!!!
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

The other litter mate seemed in between a stock coat and a long coat. When I held both of them, the other one was noticeably larger by paws, ears, muzzle, tail, stomach and tail. Both of his littermates testicles both descended as well. The breeder did ask me which I liked more but ultimately the one I posted is the one she said she would recommend to me based on my needs. These little things have started to worry me and I cant seem to settle down without wondering if I made the right decision or not.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 03:32 PM
Crowned Member

how rough is he when trying to find them?

at 7 weeks they are still descending and are easily drown back through the ring if exposed to
cold and to insensitive handling in a very sensitive area of the body.

choose the pup that has the best suited interactive dynamics with YOU

that is what you need .

Carmen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

Answers to Fodder and Carmspack

I am having an issue with trying to reply to my own thread but hopefully you guys can see this.

@Fodder - his other litter mate looks as if he is between a stock coat and a long coat, but he definitely is bigger when I held both of them. His litter mate has larger features such as paws, muzzle, ears, belly, and a longer tail.

@carmspack - when the breeder picked him up to verify if they descended and they found one but had trouble finding the other but eventually it was found. It was on my mind on the drive home and I asked them if both were undescended and they said that they have yet to descend, so based on that information i am assuming both are not. Based on the breeder recommendation they would both be a good fit for me but she recommended the puppy in which I posted a picture of.

I appreciate both of your input greatly! I really do, it's just my mind has been all over the place whether or not I made a mistake or not.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 05:45 PM
Knighted Member

You should feel comfortable in your purchase. If you don't, why do it?
Jax08 likes this.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack's Dad View Post
You should feel comfortable in your purchase. If you don't, why do it?
Good question, I think its the fact that this will be my first GSD and I just wanted some expertise from an experienced community. I have done a lot of research in the past and now that I have a pup lined up, I want to ensure that I will have a companion for many years to come.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 06:20 PM
Knighted Member

Well there are no guarantees even with reputable breeders.
The thing is, most people fall in love right off the bat and you can't change their mind if the puppy had two heads.
The fact that you are uncertain is good but you need to resolve it.
Could just be anxiety or legitamate concern.
Do you have someone with experience to talk with?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page