Need Advice on GSD Puppy: Picking up on Saturday - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack's Dad View Post
Well there are no guarantees even with reputable breeders.
The thing is, most people fall in love right off the bat and you can't change their mind if the puppy had two heads.
The fact that you are uncertain is good but you need to resolve it.
Could just be anxiety or legitamate concern.
Do you have someone with experience to talk with?
I appreciate the advice and you are absolutely right, i simply fell in love with the breeder recommendation, i just didn't expect to encounter these concerns. I believe it is my anxiety getting the best of me. I do have social anxiety and my VA doctor suggested to have a companion since most of these issues precipitate when i am alone. I have been looking at getting a GSD for the past few years, and this definitely seems like it would hopefully be two birds with one stone. Unfortunately, i dont have any one experienced to talk with so I came on here looking for some help.

Last edited by DarylG23; 04-02-2018 at 07:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 08:10 PM
Knighted Member

A gsd could be a great companion for you. There is a lot of puppyhood before you get there. Since you have anxiety your choice is very important.
Have you raised a puppy before? Gsd puppies can be a challenge but the result can be fantastic. They need a strong leader or can be problematic.

Sorry I missed your previous threads.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 08:10 PM
Crowned Member

I was able to read your response - thanks.

so I am confused
"and they found one but had trouble finding the other but eventually it was found. It was on my mind on the drive home and I asked them if both were undescended and they said that they have yet to descend, so ?

puppies at that age can pull their testicles up and down -- the ring has not closed.

put them out in the winter for a quick trip around the yard and the males will pull the testicles - protected by core body heat
seme effect with cold hands
too rough handling
give them a bit of a surprise - and the same

when my vet comes in to examine a litter he will spend half an hour on each pup .

we have known each other for some time so it is a chance to catch up

the pups get a physical , they are observed moving around the kitchen , they are given
neural tests , eyes, ears , stool samples taken and tested back at "home-base"
the pups mouths , throats , glands and stomach area for hernia or umbilical hernia is checked.

now the males are checked for testicles and a notation made + + meaning two , or - +, meaning
left not present , , right , yes , descended.

any ones where there is not a matched set are allowed to run around the kitchen and then are scooped up
and examined again .
often there will be two .

to double check the dog is held in a standing on hind feet and you can see the little grape size testicles in the
scrotum.

if still not visitble a gentle examination is done to find exactly where the the testicle is in the GROIN

a location could be just the other side of the ring and imminent to drop.

7 weeks is young .

Carmen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack's Dad View Post
A gsd could be a great companion for you. There is a lot of puppyhood before you get there. Since you have anxiety your choice is very important.
Have you raised a puppy before? Gsd puppies can be a challenge but the result can be fantastic. They need a strong leader or can be problematic.

Sorry I missed your previous threads.
Yes, I grew up with two of my sisters dobermans back in the day, and more recently I raised my friends sheltie puppy when they were at work. I am not saying im an expert but definitely understand what is needed from me. A couple years back I was considering a working line dog from a breeder in the Midwest but those plans changed. I know I will have as much time now to put into this new puppy as I would have with the working line, so I am honestly comfortable on raising one, well at least with the idea.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmspack View Post
I was able to read your response - thanks.

so I am confused
"and they found one but had trouble finding the other but eventually it was found. It was on my mind on the drive home and I asked them if both were undescended and they said that they have yet to descend, so ?

puppies at that age can pull their testicles up and down -- the ring has not closed.

put them out in the winter for a quick trip around the yard and the males will pull the testicles - protected by core body heat
seme effect with cold hands
too rough handling
give them a bit of a surprise - and the same

when my vet comes in to examine a litter he will spend half an hour on each pup .

we have known each other for some time so it is a chance to catch up

the pups get a physical , they are observed moving around the kitchen , they are given
neural tests , eyes, ears , stool samples taken and tested back at "home-base"
the pups mouths , throats , glands and stomach area for hernia or umbilical hernia is checked.

now the males are checked for testicles and a notation made + + meaning two , or - +, meaning
left not present , , right , yes , descended.

any ones where there is not a matched set are allowed to run around the kitchen and then are scooped up
and examined again .
often there will be two .

to double check the dog is held in a standing on hind feet and you can see the little grape size testicles in the
scrotum.

if still not visitble a gentle examination is done to find exactly where the the testicle is in the GROIN

a location could be just the other side of the ring and imminent to drop.

7 weeks is young .
Thank you, this I did not know. I guess where I had my doubts is that the other male litter mate had both his descended, and yet the puppy my breeder recommended were undescended. I was wondering if there was a connection in accordance to size of the puppy since his litter mate had noticeably larger everything.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 08:34 PM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Puppy size doesn't really mean much. Often smaller pups will catch up to the bigger pups as they grow. Unless the difference was drastic, it shouldn't be an issue.

Lucia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castlemaid View Post
Puppy size doesn't really mean much. Often smaller pups will catch up to the bigger pups as they grow. Unless the difference was drastic, it shouldn't be an issue.
I appreciate everyone's support. I definitely feel at ease.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 09:09 PM

My boy was noticeably smaller than his brother, and now my boy is 100 lbs and his brother is 85 lbs.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 09:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushbunny View Post
My boy was noticeably smaller than his brother, and now my boy is 100 lbs and his brother is 85 lbs.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Thank you brushbunny! This is definitely helping me. I contacted the breeder and they stated that he wasn't the smallest of the litter, just smaller compared to his brother. I met the parents and the dam is maybe about 70lbs and the sire is probably 85-90lbs, so hopefully this little pup will be at least like his mother.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 09:43 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarylG23 View Post
I appreciate the insight! I will see if the breeder will be willing to help cover the additional costs of neutering, if there are issues down the line. In the breeder contract it states that they must not be neutered prior to the age of two, so not really sure how problematic the issues would be. Does the undescended testicles affect growth? was just wondering since he does appear to be must smaller than his litter mate.
My boy will be 2 in April, and I haven't gotten him neutered yet. I will probably have it done sometime in the summer. I don't think it affected the growth of any of mine. They've all been the usual size.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page